• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Small Indie Theaters End Up Showing Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ditto to what Alan45 said. I'd have to go 600 miles, almost a 1000 km, to get to a metro center that had Your Name. ( to Seattle, WA, on the US west coast. )

FloozyGod, the theater staff probably couldn't legally sell a poster like that. But giving it away would probably be "overlooked."
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I work at a Regal, and we usually get the wider anime releases like the DBZ movies, Digimon, Your Name (for 2 weeks), Sword Art Online, and all the Miyazaki reissues. They do pretty good business too, especially DBZ and the Miyazaki stuff. We also got FUNi's release of Shin Godzilla.

An ancient local theater in downtown Richmond from the 1920s called the Byrd doesn't get the new releases until they're finished with the chains, with $4 tickets. They do a lot of midnight movies with classic films like Kill Bill and Heathers, and they run some kids movies every morning, including some Ghibli stuff like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I believe they still sometimes project on 35mm too.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
This seems to be one area where Australia has it relatively good; even the two major chains screen anime films, even if they are way fewer screenings and fewer cinemas than just about any other film would get. I suspect this is at least partly thanks to Madman making a real push for it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Angelika is the sh*t. I will forever love them here in NOVA. I don't think they have missed a single anime film theatrical release since I've started watching them in like 2013(excluding a couple that were like 3 locations, San Fran, NYC, and LA). Great indie theater overall too. They show a lot of really interesting stuff, have themed days and showings, with lots of old-school stuff as well, and they have solid food, alcohol, and artisan popcorn and stuff, if you're into that.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Here in Northern Virginia, the theater that I've seen the most anime at is Angelika Film Center Mosaic, which is consistently among the couple dozen theaters that get even the smaller runs of anime films. It seems to be a chain, with the DC, Dallas and San Diego locations regularly appearing among those couple dozen as well. There is also an Alamo Drafthouse in Winchester that gets anime consistently, but that is about an hour away so I've never been.

The local Regal has gotten some of the bigger releases, namely SAO, Your Name, and Black Butler, the latter of which I saw there. On the one hand, they did change the theater and the seat I chose without notification, which caused me to go to the wrong theater and miss the first few minutes of the film, but on the other hand they did have the best seats I've sat in at a movie theater. Angelika will probably be my first choice, but I may consider going back, as hopefully the theater mix-up was just a fluke.

I think the theater in the town center where I live got the Kabeneri films, but since I don't watch compilation I didn't go. They also had Shin Godzilla but that played before I moved to the area.

Have you been to the Reston Town Center theater at all? I think that's where the Kabaneri ones were. I almost went, but couldn't find anyone to go with, so I missed out, but if it's the theater I'm thinking of the seats are absolutely the best I've ever sat in and you should go at least once. They have electronic recline, super wide seating(enough that little me was able to sit cross-legged, side-legged, and pretty much however I wanted), and they extend out fully, so even if you are in the front row, you don't have to worry about getting a kink in your neck or anything.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
^I haven't been but that is the one I was referring to. I only go to the movie theater to see anime (aside from more mainstream stuff with family) and the Kabeneri compilation films (and Shin Godzilla) are the only ones that were showing there so I haven't gone. The seats at the Fair Oaks Regal are like that, so at least I don't miss out on that aspect.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Well, like some others here, I'm kinda lucky the local "Starlight" branch of theaters/cinemas (in CA, no less, lol), plays mostly the Funi films that Merxamers mentioned, the one across Uptown Whitter there plays them close around, lol.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
My area gets an occasional Anime movie like a handful of them a year. Most usually are very packed in fact with the DBZ movies, they had to move the movie to a bigger room because it was so packed.

But the day I saw Your Name English Dub it had like 5-6 people in it including myself. Though I did kind of wait a little while before seeing it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Justin hit the mark with Landmark Theaters. In the Boston area, anime fans know the Kendall Square Cinema in Cambridge is often the place to go. Another possible anime landing site in the area is the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline; it showed Princess Mononoke for a time some years ago, though I'm not aware of anything more recent.

The Brattle in Harvard Square also shows anime from time to time. I saw the first two Madoka movies there and, more recently, a showing of Totoro.

The Kendall Square has its neighbors MIT and Harvard to draw an audience for anime. The Kendall also screened Shin Godzilla and Miss Hokusai last fall.
simmererdown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been really surprised that both my local chain theaters (Regal and Cinimark) get the Funimation releases.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Here in the Valley of the Sun, limited anime viewings (the non-Studio Ghibli ones) tend to be limited to Tempe theaters, be it AMC or Harkins. Darn it!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
While there are plenty of small indie theaters around here in southern California, I've found myself watching anime films mostly from the Century chain at various locations, most commonly North Hollywood or Oxnard. Some of them will even sometimes show older anime movies as part of their weekly classic movies screenings, about three or four times per year. It's mostly Ghibli stuff, but sometimes you get the Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda movie. I think Cinemark owns Century. A few Regency Theatres will sometimes show the major anime films, like the DBZ ones, but not very often, and it's not consistent. (Regency seems to be a local chain.)

The locally owned small theaters, on the other hand, have their hands full with actual indie films and third-world films. I think anime movies are too mainstream for them, though I do recall One Piece: Strong World being shown at one of them.

FloozyGod wrote:
When I had gone to see Your Name, I asked one of the staff after if I could buy the promo poster after they finished airing it. Gave them my name and number, but they never called me back!! When I called them back, they said that most likely gave them to employees working there. GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

Believe me, it can be very tough obtaining posters if you yourself are not a vendor. I tried to get a poster for Cardfight! Vanguard from various vendors after Bushiroad stopped printing for that set, but every vendor refused, even though they were taken down shortly afterwards.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
For all Justin's thorough explanation of the situation from a purely financial perspective, as someone who semi-regularly volunteers at an independent cinema (consistently running movies since 1914 – sucks to be you, Byrd Theatre Twisted Evil though, admittedly, not much competition for the interior Shocked) I feel obligated to point out that he has missed one important part of the answer to the question: because, in some cases, they fribbing well want to!

If the way you make your decisions is not in answer to the question "How can I make myself rich?" but "How can I provide the richest variety of what cinema has to offer and include the most varied audience that it's possible to while making enough profit to continue doing this?", then theatrical anime logically forms part of the answer.

I emphasise with anyone missing releases because they're only played a single time, late on a week night, however, and consider myself to be exceptionally charmed in not being a student but living a short enough travelling distance from a student area to be able to get to – and, more to the point, back from – such screenings. It's in this that the "that it's possible to while making enough profit to continue doing this?" part of the above question kicks in.

There are really whole states which have a cinema distribution network in which your name. hasn't been licensed? Though, that said, since there's no list available of every one of the "85 countries and regions" it's supposedly been licensed for theatrical distribution in, that could be (and probably is) pure marketing fluff. Or at the least a case of erring on the side of optimism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2