• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Summer 2017 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So little appreciation for Altair... Aside of the second cour of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, this is the show that I'm looking forward to the most, but so far it seems to be flying under most people's radar. It would be a shame if it stayed this way, the manga it's based on is genuinely awesome, one of the best historical manga I've read, fantasy or not (it's technically fantasy but it's drawing its elements from real-life history). I really hope the anime will be able to do it justice.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
^^ I was about to say the same. Pretty sad not to see any mentions of Altair when it looks like it's going to be not only the best of the season but probably one of the best of the year (I mean, the director of Le Chevalier d'eon + Mappa+ awesome manga= insta win)
Other than that, I also have high hopes for The Reflection (another awesome director) and Vatican
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Summer is reliably my "pleasant surprise" season, which in years past gave us out-of-the-blue hits like Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun and School-Live!. OTOH, last year I came in with preconceptions and was determined to like four shows - Love Live Sunshine, Planetarian, Orange, and Rewrite - and only the first two lived up to my hopes (and LLS was touch-and-go there for a while).

So this year, my plan is to just follow the preview guide and see what wins me over. And it does seem like this Summer will be good for naughty anime, with NTR Netsuzou Trap and Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita, so that should prove interesting at least.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I can only hope the show, which is undoubtedly aiming for a female audience, will tone down or even reverse the manga's more sexist tendencies, but I'm less than enthused for it.

I wouldn't say "undoubtedly aiming for a female audience" since most male friends of mine are really excited for it. Neutral It's my top pick of the season, mostly because of the manga. You call it sexist or whatever but please don't blame a manga that is portraying real life. You not liking IRL situations, as sad as they are, should not color your opinion on a piece of entertainment.

PS:You wouldn't be talking about sexist crap if you met Chi-chan. Wink

Welcome to the Ballroom is a shonen manga, but shonen manga have a much larger female audience than they used to, especially sports manga and their anime adaptations. Some people put the audience of sports shonen anime at 50% female or more. So I didn't say that there are no guys interested in Welcome to the Ballroom, just that the anime adaptation is probably aiming for as broad an audience as possible, given its genre.

As for real life, male-female partnered sports like couples figure skating, ice dancing and dance sport don't lead to partners hooking up nearly as much as you'd expect, or as fiction would have you believe. I know everything is heightened for maximum teenaged drama, but calling a girl a "hussy" for practicing dance with another boy wouldn't happen in real life, and is just plain gross. Then there is the adult male dance instructor character who embarrasses a middle school girl by referring to her bra, among other comments--not ok in or out of a dance studio, anywhere in the world. I'm not going to accept excuses like "it's just reflecting real life" or "cultural differences" on this one, I'm just going to hope the anime tones it down, because otherwise it's pretty good!

PS: I tried Googling stats for how often dance sports partners *do* get together, and couldn't get any concrete info--mostly just articles on the few couples that got together on Dancing with the Stars (US). But I did find this perspective on the topic written by a professional dancer, and it's really interesting: https://www.quora.com/How-do-dance-partners-keep-things-professional
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I was going to put Owari but since it was announced as specials, I don't know that I would put it so highly even though I'm still anticipating it. Apocrypha and Kakegurui are up there but that depends on whether Netflix gets them in the West. I had also picked Twilight Axis previously but after the first episode came off as a somewhat poorly edited trailer for something that should have been longer, I don't know I'm anticipating it highly anymore. Of those I picked for the poll, that just leaves Altair, though that does look good. Kind of surprised that Symphogear was mentioned by two reviewers but I'll definitely watch it. There are definitely ones I'm interested in so I'll find stuff to watch, it's just a number of the ones I was most excited for didn't pan out for various reasons.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Am I the only person excited for Saiyuki Reload Blast?

You're not the only one. It's always been one of my favorite series. ... I would prefer the original cast with Greg Ayres & David Matranga. Though I would settle for the "Geneon" cast. I just don't want a 3rd new cast to get used to when it eventually releases in the US.

Me three! But you know there's no way we're getting the whole original English cast (I'm delighted the Japanese cast is still intact), and given how Hunt phoned in his last performance as Tenpou (Cho Hakkai) in Gaiden, I'm sad to say that may be for the best. His voice is still the quintessential Hakkai in English for me though, even if his heart's not in it.

Zin5ki wrote:
Welcome to the Ballroom is a sad casualty of our times, lost as it is amidst a South American rainforest.

Why are you writing this off before it even airs? It seems to be getting enough buzz, since even I've heard enough to look forward to it and I've barely paid attention to what's upcoming for summer.

Also will be right there for Touken Ranbu to see what ufotable does with it. I watched the earlier one, but was not impressed at all. This one looks like it's more my speed. I don't know anything about the game, but the costuming alone was enough to get me to shell out for three of the figures (my first! Very Happy).
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I can only hope the show, which is undoubtedly aiming for a female audience, will tone down or even reverse the manga's more sexist tendencies, but I'm less than enthused for it.

I wouldn't say "undoubtedly aiming for a female audience" since most male friends of mine are really excited for it. Neutral It's my top pick of the season, mostly because of the manga. You call it sexist or whatever but please don't blame a manga that is portraying real life. You not liking IRL situations, as sad as they are, should not color your opinion on a piece of entertainment.

PS:You wouldn't be talking about sexist crap if you met Chi-chan. Wink

As for real life, male-female partnered sports like couples figure skating, ice dancing and dance sport don't lead to partners hooking up nearly as much as you'd expect, or as fiction would have you believe. I know everything is heightened for maximum teenaged drama, but calling a girl a "hussy" for practicing dance with another boy wouldn't happen in real life, and is just plain gross. Then there is the adult male dance instructor character who embarrasses a middle school girl by referring to her bra, among other comments--not ok in or out of a dance studio, anywhere in the world. I'm not going to accept excuses like "it's just reflecting real life" or "cultural differences" on this one, I'm just going to hope the anime tones it down, because otherwise it's pretty good!

As someone who competed in ballroom dance for several years during college, I'm gonna say that Agent's take here is a lot closer to what the reality of ballroom dance is like. Now, this is obviously based on what the culture around ballroom dance in America is like, it's possible that the culture surrounding it in Japan is vastly different.

Sexism is not an entrenched part of ballroom dance. While there are very specific roles for men and women within ballroom dance, they are each valued equally. Males are expected to be the ones "leading," but only in the sense that they are providing the mechanical cues to smoothly transition from one move into the next. In a fully choreographed routine, they are not even deciding what moves to do next, they're just usually providing a strong frame for transitioning between moves. In non-choreographed routines, males are essentially deciding what moves to do next, but at anything above the beginner level (where it can be difficult to think about your next move while trying to actually dance), both partners will have discussed with each other at length before their performance about what type of moves at what points they should be doing. You and your partner practice extensively, and for non-choreographed routines that practice can be somewhat fractured and awkward, which spurs the conversation of what general ideas you two want to have for your competitive performance ("It seems like that time we didn't do enough traveling forward and did too much side to side, let's throw in some more progressive steps or some "traveling moves" like this maybe this one...). Any couple that views ballroom dance as "Man dominates, lowly woman follows" is going to perform absolutely terribly.

Agent is also correct about the girl being called a hussy for practicing with another boy besides her partner: that doesn't happen. You dance with a huge assortment of partners in ballroom dance, and you are expected to put forth the same level of dignity, respect, and sensuality (if the dance calls for that) as you would with any partner. Obviously, some partners you have better chemistry with than others, but there is no serial monogamy when it comes to practicing or dancing with partners. It's not uncommon before a competition to practice together with another couple or two that you're friends with, and during that practice one of the couples will say "I notice that you guys are doing x, it doesn't look quite right, something about the transition between these two moves looks a little jilty, here let's have our female dancer do the move with the male dancer so his partner can watch and see if she can spot what we're talking about." I've danced with a huge assortment of partners, from married women to girls whose boyfriends were right next to us, with ex-girlfriends of mine and girls I was interested in, with girls I couldn't stand, with girlfriends and fiances of very good friends of mine, with male instructors and teaching assistants who were trying to show me very specific things about tone and frame. There's very little jealousy when it comes to partners in ballroom dance, other than "Dang, I dance really well with that partner, but they already have a partner for this upcoming competition."

As far as the instructor's comment in the manga about a female dancer's bra, I can't say for sure whether that was normal or not without seeing the context of the scene in question. Ballroom dance can get very intimate and awkward, and you're expected to act professionally throughout it. I've had my junk grabbed accidentally several times, both by partners and by couples dancing near us. I've accidentally grabbed a handful of boob several times, both a partner's and of a female dancer near us, occasionally while making very sultry looks since the routine called for it. I've had a female instructor shove her chest into me as her husband was standing right there watching, emphatically telling my partner "This is how close you two should be during this move, don't be afraid to really get in there." I've had to make bedroom eyes at a partner who's fiance was one of my good friends and a coworker of mine, and the next time at work after one of those practice sessions, he jokingly tells me "My fiance tells me that I need to learn from you about how to properly look at her passionately." I've had numerous instances where my and my partners legs are very intimately intertwined while practicing, to the extent that it would have almost looked like we were scissoring while standing up to onlookers. In one of these instances, my partner happened to be menstruating and a little bit of that bled through when we pressed together there and transferred onto my pants. She was obviously embarrassed when it happened, but we just went to the restroom to wash it off our pants, then came back and resumed practice like nothing happened, other than being a bit more cautious during that move. Things can be more awkward for beginners, but as you rise up in difficulty and skill, things become less and less awkward, to the extent that you sometimes have to be careful that non-dancers hearing your conversations don't get the wrong idea.

I'm obviously very interested in seeing the series as it airs, but some of the occurrences that Agent mentioned from the manga do leave me a little concerned that it might not portray an accurate picture of the culture surrounding ballroom dance. Either that, or Japanese ballroom dance has a culture that is antithetical to the culture of American ballroom dance. Which could be a possibility, as I have some experience with Russian ballroom dancers in America who have quite a different culture surrounding ballroom dance (Russian ballroom dance is very machine-like, almost oppressively so), and British ballroom dancers (who aren't as laid-back during practicing as American ballroom dancers). You'll notice that those various ballroom dance cultures do somewhat mimic their national stereotypes, so it wouldn't be too shocking if Japanese ballroom dance culture did have a more male-dominated focus that follows some aspects of Japanese society.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Theron that this coming season seems a tad dull. I'm kind of excited for the new Fate, but not nearly as excited as I was for some of the winter and spring titles. I'd have gone with Re:Creators, but I didn't see that on the poll...

Quote:
instead happily taking what feels like a first draft and papering over it with a Michael Bay film's worth of explosions

That description for symphogear got a few laughs from me. Too true.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Apocrypha and Kakegurui are my hype titles for the season. If it wasn't for MHA and Re:Creators I'd be watching nothing, but as it is I'm only watching anime on Saturday anyways.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The series I am most interested in are Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, and 18if. I am also a bit curious about Fox Spirit Matchmaker since it is supposed to be one of the better Chinese productions.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Ooof Agent355's comments about the Ballroom manga are already tapering my already lowered expectations. It's a show I've been really looking forward to since it was announced, but my interest wavered when a load of dudes started coming to Ballroom threads to "appease" "concerned users" about how this show "was not like that yaoi on ice[sic] shit" (around the time YOI ended airing and given how the cover of the first manga volume has the protagonist looking a lot like Yuri Katsuki). Hearing that the manga has a poor perspective of women in a sport about man-woman pairings is already sounding very off-putting. I'll cross my fingers that it'll follow the lead of other sports series such as Haikyuu and treat its female characters with respect, because the subject matter is something I'm very interested in.

Someone else already mentioned it, but my most anticipated show is Altair, with MAPPA animating and a manga that has a noticeable following. Hopefully it'll be able to achieve what Arslan felt short of
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
To not bias myself with the continuation of BnHA 2 (because it seems like the Stain arc has a lot of hype behind it) and not bore anyone with the tentatives, I'll list off my "highest hype" tier, with Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu as "most anticipated". I've been a Touken Ranbu fan ever since before Hanamaru, and while fujo-fluff isn't bad, an action-oriented adaption is absolutely my thing if it gets picked up for streaming where I am.

I also have three other shows in this tier - first, Nana Maru San Batsu, which is probably going to involve a lot of Japanese puns/references and I'd bet it's CR's claim. However, noting how Kabukibu! got taken by Amazon, I worry where 7O3X'll fall when it's picked up...Reflection is another because any anime that looks like a Western comic tends to do well with me (thank you for getting it, CR!). Finally, Kaito x Ansa is almost guaranteed to be CR's, which is great too because I'll sit through as many episodes of Nazotokine as it takes to get me eye candy...and puzzles. Can't forget the puzzles.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Someone else already mentioned it, but my most anticipated show is Altair, with MAPPA animating and a manga that has a noticeable following. Hopefully it'll be able to achieve what Arslan felt short of

For what it's worth Altair is a lot closer to what Arslan was supposed to be like, before Arakawa and the anime turned it into a Saturday morning cartoon... It's only technically fantasy (insofar as it takes place in a different world) but otherwise it's building on real life history. I guess the anime will adapt the manga until volume 7, which is where the larger story arc begins, so I really hope that the anime will do well enough to maybe get a second season. The manga currently seems to be in its endgame and it's like watching a history book come to life, even for someone like me who has studied history and has grown to not expect much from such works, anime/manga or otherwise. (Obviously it's not perfect but it's a lot closer to showing how actual history works than any other manga I've read.)
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
My most anticipated show this season is Made in Abyss as I really like what has been showed in the PV's so far and it personally has one of the more intriguing synopsis' of the season. I do admit I am a bit dampened by the fact the Owarimonogatari isn't get a full cour but since I was one of the people who liked the release style of Tsukimonogatari it doesn't bother me much.

Other the those two I'm also look forward to Welcome to The Ballroom and Kakegurui, the latter of which looks like it could be a fantastic psychological anime from what been showed so far.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I'm in the "loving Re:Creators camp" as well, and agree it still sounds better than most of what has been announced for the summer. Of course, I went into the Spring cour thinking nothing sounded interesting, and came away with five or six shows I've greatly enjoyed (including the aforementioned Re:Creators).

The only two new series I know I'm going to follow are Owarimonogatari and New Game!!. I'm tempted by Saiyuki Reload Blast and Fate/Apocrypha, but since I haven't actually seen the original Saiyuki or Fate/Night yet (they fell in that time period where I had drifted away from anime, and I haven't had the chance to get back to them yet), those will probably wait. Made in Abyss, Knights & Magic, Restaurant to Another World, and the show about Vatican miracle investigators (whatever its called) will probably all get the "first few episodes" treatment. Beyond that, I'll see where the buzz is and pick accordingly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4