• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Should We Expect from the Sony Pictures TV - Funimation Deal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Justin that we are going to see changes on how Funimation is run. The end of the CR-Funi partnership has me intrigued because I wonder if in 2 months Crunchyroll and Funimation will return to each company licensing their own stuff. I not against competition, but I hope Crunchyroll has the ability to at least pick up 17-20 new titles per season.

I also see Aniplex USA as wild card because I think that Sony could try to combine it with Funimation. It would make sense for Funimation to handle dub production, streaming and marketing, and having AoA become the disc distributor. This last thing is frightening for many, but hopefully Sony understands that most fans want to buy anime discs at affordable prices.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
If anything, I see this as nothing more than a capital investment from Sony where they saw a company on the rise and decided to get a good chunk of their profits along with it. Sure Sony will use its own resources to help accelerate that growth (worldwide distribution being the big one), but I don't see why you would think that Sony would cut off the CR deal. There's no reasoning why Gen Fukunaga would sell off a large stake of his company and agree to sever the CR partnership when he's the one who agreed to the partnership in the first place, and it has clearly been a success.

Yeah, based on other TV shows I've seen by companies or on networks that were eventually bought up by Sony, as far as the content itself goes, those stay mostly unchanged, though you are more likely to see PlayStations in the background and fewer game systems from their competitors.

On the other hand, a division of Sony Pictures released The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and The Legend of Zelda cartoon on DVD, so I guess there's no hard feelings in that branch.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
MJKS wrote:
Culture/integration problems aside, when the acquisition was announced, it struck me as a natural fit. Sony has access to the production committee system, and Funimation has deep in-house dubbing expertise and capabilities. Funimation's catalog may be its single most valuable asset, strictly speaking, but those are the two ultimate ends the trans-Pacific anime pipe.

So whatever SAG/AFTRA has to say about it, surely Sony must have some kind of plan for retaining Funimation's in-house dubbing expertise and capabilities. Or I hope they do. That's my biggest concern, even more than the prospect of Sony ripping out a number of vital organs from VRV just so they can resurrect Frankenstein's Crackle. But if anybody can ruin the good thing Funimation has going in Texas, no doubt it's a bunch of LA union suits.

Union meddling is one of the reasons LA Dubs haven't been able to compete with Funimation who can pretty much hire whoever they want for whatever they want. Hire who's best for the job that's my opinion shouldn't matter who they are or what they're a part of.

I can guarantee there will be backlash if Funi has to start dropping actors for Union crap in another state on projects unrelated to them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
We've already seen Amazon decide to use a double paywall, and respond to negative reactions by just buying up more shows rather than listen to customers. We've also seen that these big companies either have little interest in anything other than streaming, or they aren't willing to give physical releases the attention and effort that anime fans expect.

So after just 7 short months of Amazon being more heavily involved in anime we can conclude that they do not plan to do any physical releases of their shows? I prefer to wait 12 more months before declaring Amazon the enemy of anime fans.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So after just 7 short months of Amazon being more heavily involved in anime we can conclude that they do not plan to do any physical releases of their shows? I prefer to wait 12 more months before declaring Amazon the enemy of anime fans.

Amazon is an online distribution company. They don't really do physical production of their own stuff. (Well, they do, but not very often.) It's just like how Hulu and Netflix do not release very many of their own shows or movies on home video: They're not in the market for it.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this deal has anything to do with Aniplex's Daisuki streaming site shutting down?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks, Justin. It was good to read some informed speculation about this move. I worry about what this means ultimately, but we'll just have to wait and see what trasnpires. I too am bummed about the probable end of the Crunchyroll-Funi streaming partnership. Mind you, I had kept my Funi subsription regardless, so I suppose I won't really be affected much if they become fierce competitors.

Yeah, that's a big bummer if it happens as we'd likely expect, that gave Funi access to releasing and dubbing even more good shows, it really was a great match. I kept mine too.

They produce some of my favorite dubs and place a lot of value on their skill and investment at making them so I really hope Sony leaves Funi's main production process and decisions alone like he said. Plus I'm a bit worried this extra financial oversight hurdle might effect how good of a job they've been doing the last few years in hiring, both expanding their VA roster and also great job of working out ways to bring their old favorites back in through remote recording, etc.

"I would definitely hate to lose Funimation's Blu-ray people, especially since Sony's anime releases to date have been spotted with mistakes that dedicated anime people would never make."

And 100% this point he made too. Regardless if it is partially redundant I really hope Sony recognizes that Funi should continue controlling this part of anime releases. We've seen the spectacular incompetence that comes from putting non-anime specialized people in charge of making anime discs and the anime specific extra juggling that requires.

Plus I love that Funi goes the extra mile even for their TV series when creating their dub tracks by creating good 5.1 surround tracks, which none of the others put in the extra work for except when they are already set up for it like for some movies.

MJKS wrote:
Culture/integration problems aside, when the acquisition was announced, it struck me as a natural fit. Sony has access to the production committee system, and Funimation has deep in-house dubbing expertise and capabilities. Funimation's catalog may be its single most valuable asset, strictly speaking, but those are the two ultimate ends the trans-Pacific anime pipe.

So whatever SAG/AFTRA has to say about it, surely Sony must have some kind of plan for retaining Funimation's in-house dubbing expertise and capabilities. Or I hope they do. That's my biggest concern, even more than the prospect of Sony ripping out a number of vital organs from VRV just so they can resurrect Frankenstein's Crackle. But if anybody can ruin the good thing Funimation has going in Texas, no doubt it's a bunch of LA union suits.

Yeah, there are certainly some good potential positives, especially with the massive corporations starting to eye the licenses as mentioned like Amazon etc.

This is my main concern too since Funi has done so much for dub fans like myself, and I love the continuous improvement and VA roster they've created. I assume there's some kind of plan there since that's the backbone of Funi so I don't think (Hope) Gen Fukunaga would have accepted this deal without something in place to keep this part the same.

It seems like one of those things that's going to take some time to see how hands on or off Sony is going to be in terms of overriding things that they shouldn't mess with that Funi is already good at and that require dedication to specifically anime. I generally like Sony (outside of Sony Music's Aniplex "we're doing this like in Japan" practices and their "I'm taking my toys back" shit they pulled on Funi classics that Funi did all the hard work on like FMA), but Funi has been my favorite of the anime companies due to what they do so it's definitely nerve wracking.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
If Sony divisions don't talk to each other, does that mean that Sony Pictures Animation won't have much to do with this?

Yes, they won't. Sony Animation is interested in promoting its OWN independently owned or generated intellectual property as the marketable income-generating brand icon of the studio, even if it means giving us an Emoji movie to sell cellphones, or making one more Hotel Transylvania because the second one was a hit and the animated Smurfs movie wasn't. (Geez, I was hoping that one would be good, after the obnoxious live action ones... Sad )

Another example of Why Sony Divisions Don't Talk To Each Other was the bumbled example of the Playstation 4 Pro being released without 4K UHD disk support, and helping shoot that struggling format in the foot--The game division was now "competition" to their home-theater hardware division, instead of the corporate advantage to let one hand wash the other.

Quote:
They own a handful of smaller cable channels in the US, but internationally run Animax networks that are primarily anime focused (though in many areas they've been phased out). They also own an also-ran streaming service called Crackle.

Sony had made a number of attempts to bring over an English-language Animax US, and even a Crackle spinoff, but too difficult to bring over, between the existing competition from--you guessed it--Funimation already grabbing up the major hit marketable hit series licenses for their own streaming channel.
Also, the market was moving away from cable/on-demand TV channels and toward online streaming, and Funi had the recognizable brand lead there.
Rather than create an AnimaxUS.com, and be the #3 under-underdog, Sony decided to merge its most internationally entrenched anime brand with US anime's most established power-player, get the series, and sell the name people knew, seeing as Sony Classics already had some experience with the world of anime dubbing.

But for now:
Quote:
As entertainment becomes more and more globalized, Funimation, Crunchyroll, Amazon and other players have been jockeying to be a part of the production committees that produce the anime itself. By coming in as a co-producer they not only get to enjoy in a show's success in EVERY territory, but they actually get some say in what would be popular in their own territory. They also get to shut out the competition for any show they co-produce.

Yes, any discussion of the corporatization of anime for the next three years will mandatorily have the A-word in it. Rolling Eyes
Not because Amazon is a threat--it ISN'T--but because it symbolizes fans' under-the-bed fears that Big People will grab the beloved anime only they know about, take it away from them and ruin it.

I don't think we'll see a full-blown clueless industry Bubble actually happen and pop like we saw with the gold rush for hoped-for disk-and-cable deals in the 00's, but there's a lot of money being thrown around now that companies are just starting to notice the anime industry has moved online, and only two or three companies that have enough field experience to actually know how to DO it.
Look for Discotek and Nozomi to cement a stronger declared alliance with Crunchyroll, not out of "fear", but for the need to let streaming industry fuel the dub-disk sales, and tie themselves with one of the established players for those small labels that don't know how to make their own streaming site themselves.
With the folding of Daisuki, even ADV/Sentai will have to start taking sides (and stop trying to relive the memories of their own Anime Channel), if they haven't already.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares

Amazon is already the enemy of anime fans due to the cost. The question of who may or may not issue physical media of the shows is still for determination.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Justin is worried about Funimation's DVD/Blu-ray quality getting worse with Sony definitely worries me, considering some of Funimation's releases with their in-house team haven't been the best lately. (Falsely labeling Speed Racer as having a Japanese track/forcing a five-minute ad to play before each disc, missing English subtitles for the OP/ED of Death Parade only on home video, Sword of the Stranger missing English subtitles when characters speak Chinese in the English dub, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
It's worth noting that Sony have actually teamed up with Universal in Australia to release anime titles (Mostly Funimation shows).

Nearly all of Universal Sony Home Pictures Australia's anime releases are Universal properties (including former Geneon and Pioneer titles like Lain), While these may be licensed by Funimation in the USA, they are not involved in the Australian license in any way (other than having produced the dub for Index and Railgun). The one exception that I am aware of is My Hero Academia, for which Funimation secured global rights from Toho but for some reason is being distributed by USPH in Australia and Universal in the UK (normally Funimation sub-licenses to Madman in Australia and distributes through Anime Limited in the UK, and formerly sub-licensed to Manga).

Codeanime93 wrote:
Will this mean airings of Funimation anime on the Sony Movie Channel?

This has happened in the UK with Viz Media properties like Bleach, via Sony's relationship with Kaze/Viz Media Europe for their lackluster Animax UK streaming portal (which also carries some Funimation titles, which are now thankfully also available through FunimationNow UK).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree with your post Greed1914.

It's going to be an anxious time until we see how this works.

I also haven't had many problems with Funimation's streaming pretty much since back when they upgraded to HD subscriptions and had the console apps, though even after the move to FunimationNow the topic still seems to come up to where Justin also mentioned again they apparently still haven't been able to establish it well.

If Sony has any intention of revamping Crackle with this content, they better give that thing a massive overhaul, since, admittedly I haven't used it in years outside of throwing on an ep or two of Blood+ a couple of years ago, the last time I was on it I don't think it even supported HD yet, so it probably hasn't even been updated in like a decade.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
If Funi have to hand over the BD production side of things to them, God help us all.

This.

CatSword wrote:
Seeing Justin is worried about Funimation's DVD/Blu-ray quality getting worse with Sony definitely worries me, considering some of Funimation's releases with their in-house team haven't been the best lately. (Falsely labeling Speed Racer as having a Japanese track/forcing a five-minute ad to play before each disc, missing English subtitles for the OP/ED of Death Parade only on home video, missing the OVAs on Senran Kagura despite advertising them until the very last minute, etc.)

It's true they've had some bad releases sprinkled around, but now just imagine if the vast majority of anime discs went through a non-specialized pipeline while juggling all of those tracks and subtitles like we've seen happen with virtually all of the non anime companies. Yikes.

It's true Funi may make some mistakes (the occasional accidental mono audio issue that seemingly crops up out of nowhere every couple of years being another), but they also release a ton of discs with no problems and they put out a ton of releases so I'd say they are generally way ahead of the curve on looking out for the issues that we've seen have plagued virtually every non-anime specific producers discs.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I expect some noteworthy anime titles in Sony Pictures' back catalog to get dusted off and get a new lease on life. The Cowboy Bebop movie, Memories, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Blood-C, Nodame Cantabile and several others would really do well with Funimation's treatment, and may get re-released.

Does Sony Pictures still have the 2002 version of Cyborg 009? That's the title that really needs a re-release, especially since, despite dubbing 48 out of 51 episodes (leaving out the post-series OVA), they only released a grand total of 8 on DVD.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
They probably do. That would be cool.

Chrono1000 wrote:
With Amazon getting into anime I think that Funimation needed to do this since while their Simuldubs service is unique it still requires them to buy anime licenses. I do hope that in the long term that Funimation keeps running their own service since they have a good understanding of the anime market.

The mega corporations are bidding over anime licenses so the market has fundamentally changed. Of course due to fanservice issues some titles will be safe from this but for more mainstream shows the bidding prices are going to be higher. I am just happy that Funimation will be in a better position to get anime licenses since Amazon seems to have zero interest in dubbing any of the shows they simulcast.

This could indeed be one of the reasons. Yeah, I really hope that they do and that the changes don't hurt too much when they eventually come, since I love what they do.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Amazon is an online distribution company. They don't really do physical production of their own stuff. (Well, they do, but not very often.) It's just like how Hulu and Netflix do not release very many of their own shows or movies on home video: They're not in the market for it.

Yeah, I think the real question is going to be if their terms will allow for another company to be able to get the home license for Amazon's pick ups like Sentai and Funi have for some of Netflix's, like Sidonia, Ajin, and Seven Deadly Sins.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Union meddling is one of the reasons LA Dubs haven't been able to compete with Funimation who can pretty much hire whoever they want for whatever they want. Hire who's best for the job that's my opinion shouldn't matter who they are or what they're a part of.

I can guarantee there will be backlash if Funi has to start dropping actors for Union crap in another state on projects unrelated to them.

Yeah, one of their best strengths.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
IMO this whole deal is about money, as in profits, not as in investment. Therefore:

0. Funi will flood forgotten markets with anime discs.
1. Funimation and Aniplex will battle internally to prevail, as Connor MacLeod said "There can be only one!"
2. The Funi and Crunchy deal will continue for the foreseeable future. Not out of goodwill or camaraderie or benefit the userbase, but because they are not interested in investing as committee members of each and every new series that comes each season. Funi learned the hard way that many hit series come as complete surprises.
3. Quality of subtitles will dip as duplicate positions are removed, but more languages will be added.
4. Funi streaming will slowly but surely become worldwide, adding more languages.

Now, how will amazon react, that is anybodies guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5