• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime For Foodies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
An article including foodie manga would have to be multiple parts - Oishinbo and Cooking Papa could really have their own essays.

It's high time we get those going, I think. Very Happy It'd be a great joy of mine to read an op-ed about Oishinbo.

That was a fun article. I'll be showing this to my partner (both of us cook nearly all the time), in the hopes that I can turn him onto anime yet. Wink
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
While not about cooking but eating, maybe Toriko deserved a mentioned though im not a big fan.

Toriko was about eating and cooking, but yeah, mostly eating. Anime catgrin

Curious, why you not a fan of the show???
olderthandirt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. Thank you!

But here is a question for the group. The series "Restaurant to Another World" along with "Gate", and Manga such as "Isekai Izakaya Nobu" all have the people of fantasy worlds practically worshiping the taste of what is typically very ordinary Japanese food. The scene is Gate where prince Zorzal is bought off by mustard on a turkey leg or by a hamburger is a good example. Now Japanese characters have been sucessfully cooking in Isekai worlds since "El Hazard" but this is something a bit new it is a celebration of the food itself. Is this an aspect of Japanese "soft power". It really comes across as Japan being culturally superior to all other worlds (even when the food is Japan's version of western food).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
While not about cooking but eating, maybe Toriko deserved a mentioned though im not a big fan.

Honestly it wasnt that bad I just didn't like the little tag along character and felt the show put to much focus on him. And it veered into boboobobo territory at times which is not a favorite of mine. Might give it another chance one of these days.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Honestly, it wasn't that bad I just didn't like the little tag along character and felt the show put to much focus on him. And it veered into boboobobo territory at times which is not a favorite of mine. Might give it another chance one of these days.

I see. Well, guess what? I didn't like Komatsu's character either. Smile

He's a weak character and he stayed that way towards the end of the series. And because of him, fans got the wrong idea about Toriko as a whole. I infuriated me. If you do pick this up again, you'll see what I mean.

But yeah, if the series wasn't so Bobobo-esque, it probably would've been better. Here's some facial expressions.
EerieLime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
@jymmy

I had much more on PreCure originally that I had to cut, and then a bit more got trimmed in editing. Honestly, I'm particularly interested in comparing this particular PreCure to Tokyo Mew Mew and Yumeiro Patissiere, but that's a whole different article that was threatening to take over this one. Embarassed Crying or Very sad (I also haven't given up my dreams of a real release of the franchise in English, which may or may not be foolish at this point...)

I'd love to read that article!! Kirakira has been a pretty enjoyable season so far, and I really like how it focuses on the food aspect more than TMM did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2