• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stories Behind the Servants of Fate/stay Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
, i have a question related to her gender that i don't recall ever being addressed in the FSN and F/Z anime; was her gender a secret to most people while she was king? In F/Z, spoiler[Berserker only ever called her "Arthur"], no one from that time ever seems to mention her gender, but i can only assume her wife Guinevere had a SLIGHT HUNCH her husband wasn't a dude.

If memory serves, Merlin gave her a glamour that mad her appear like a guy. So as far as Brittain knew , she was male. As for Guinevere, she was a trans guy in the Nasuverse. And i think he, Mordred and Morgan Le Faye knew.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
, i have a question related to her gender that i don't recall ever being addressed in the FSN and F/Z anime; was her gender a secret to most people while she was king? In F/Z, spoiler[Berserker only ever called her "Arthur"], no one from that time ever seems to mention her gender, but i can only assume her wife Guinevere had a SLIGHT HUNCH her husband wasn't a dude.

If memory serves, Merlin gave her a glamour that mad her appear like a guy. So as far as Brittain knew , she was male. As for Guinevere, she was a trans guy in the Nasuverse. And i think he, Mordred and Morgan Le Faye knew.

As a trans guy, I am 110% certain you are using that descriptor wrong.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Always been a fan of the Fate series. The biggest part of the intrigue for me is seeing what the writers do to make each legend fit within the verse. Not always perfect, but it actually makes a ton of sense to me. Maybe it's just me, but I always have fun untying convoluted messes. It's like during Christmas when I pull out the lights. Always had fun untangling that mess Laughing
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
Her gender was secret from country at large. Her relatives and Merlin knew and iirc most of the knights suspected it or didn't care.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Azmodeus wrote:

As a trans guy, I am 110% certain you are using that descriptor wrong.

So... was Guinevere a biological woman who identified as a man, or a biological man who identified as a woman? Cool either way, it's just I've already been introduced to the concept of a "magical pseudophallus" so i want to be clear on the details while i'm trying to process that
Emdykay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
As for Guinevere, she was a trans guy in the Nasuverse.

No, Guinevere was just a plain woman.
To my knowledge the Fate franchise, or the Nasuverse at large, while being comparatively chill about gender and sexuality, does not actually include any transgender characters, at least ones confirming to what modern western ideology understands of transgender, more nonconforming characters.
Astolfo is rather crossdressing with a "who cares about gender anyway" attitude, Da Vinci is a similar case being dismissive of gender an prefers to run around as, what in his perception is the pinnacle of aesthetic and beauty, the Mona Lisa, with a rather pragmatic and matter of fact approach to his selfidentification as female afterwards, and d'Eon is treated as a very effeminate guy.
But there is no character that is biologically one sex and rather identifies as the opposite based on conventional ideas of male and female.

Oh, first post here after years of reading btw. Hello World.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Huh, seems i missremembered Guineverse's gender. Strange, i could have sworn both parties gender where reversed in that marriage.
Anyhow, at least Merxamers got a pretty definitive answer to their question.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
Huh, seems i missremembered Guineverse's gender. Strange, i could have sworn both parties gender where reversed in that marriage.
Anyhow, at least Merxamers got a pretty definitive answer to their question.

Nope Guinevere is a normal woman, but due to both of them being woman producing a heir would be a little problem, so Merlin use magic to give arthoria a dick so she can get it on.

And that's why anybody that plays fate grand order(jp) Merlin's nickname is cock wizard
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2