• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Princess Principal Director Masaki Tachibana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
Alternatively it's a wink and a nudge to say they are together it is odd since 3hz also did flip flappers

Ah Flip Flappers. The show that has the most same sex romance relationship tones and imagery without actually ever having the characters be in a relationship, with just enough plausible deniability to say the characters are straight. Another one of those series people say "you're reading to much into it". There's a lot to also delve into with this series, but the more horror school episode is a good example, the solo focus on the lily that's in the vase, which is focused on numerous times. The lily wall paper. Plus tons of other hints and winks throughout just that episode alone and there's so much of that throughout the entire series. But alas.

Edit: I was wrong about Flip Flappers and Citrus having the same director, so I'm removing that from this post.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
What are you talking about they were totally in love in flip Flappers they just didn't kiss but on that like it was basically 100% confirmed in fact even call out a lot of the tropes of the genre like saying why do you say you love me as a friend
Velshtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
For that, I say we leave that up to your imagination. For Ange, she definitely feels friendship and strong feelings of trust. But we didn't interpret it as romantic when we were making it. However, to split everything into black and white… that's simply no fun. So, I leave that up to your imaginations.
Really like princess even called Ange Turtledove

This is basically them confirming there was no romantic feelings but they don't want to upset the fanbase that enjoys the idea of one.

Pretty much lol. Nothing worse than being the script writer and having obnoxious "fans" who think it's their place to tell you the true nature of your characters' relationships.

Tenebrae wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Nah, death of the author is hogwash. When the author doesn't provide exactly to some people's demands, they become bitter and salty and scream death of the author in an attempt to give their fanon some validity it will never have. It is an attempt to elevate fan fiction to the authoritative level of original work. While fan fiction is good and ok, trying to make weird claims about it isn't.

Agreed. I'm tired of fans and their crack pairings. Seemingly any two characters that show any sort of care or camaraderie towards one another must have the hots for one another, even if canonically they are just friends, colleagues, or family members, etc. This rabid insistence among some fans to romanticize/sexualize all character relationships is pretty creepy.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Strange how you are saying that about a lesbian relationship when you realize wlw water often denied representation
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
What are you talking about they were totally in love in flip Flappers they just didn't kiss but on that like it was basically 100% confirmed in fact even call out a lot of the tropes of the genre like saying why do you say you love me as a friend

I don't disagree with you, but there's unfortunately room for plausible deniability still. Which I'd be nice if they just said I love you, or/and held hands, maybe a kiss. Something to really confirm it. I still enjoy the series and their relationship tho.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
To be fair a lot of people tend to view lgbt relationships as friendships
See this week's B99
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:

Because it's weird and creepy to see people in a relationship and say they'd be a cute couple. Or to think that there might be more to their relationship than meets the eye, for example? Feelings under the surface. So because we get into the characters along with their world and relationships, we're creepy. Even shows with male/male and male/female character relationships I'm like oh they'd be a cute couple at times. So I guess sign me up on your "creepy person" list. Honestly you should make a badge that says "creepy person" on, I'll wear it with pride.
someooone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Sigh.... really i dont get how people watchin the show cant see the romantic feelings they have for each other. First of all,we have Ange who spend 10 yrs to become a spy for the sole purpose to cross the Wall and reach Princess,with the intention to escape to Casablanca where just the two of em can libe peacefullt together.This it very itself is alrdy kinda romantic,and if its a guy and girl,there wont be any deniability.Then,we have in ep 3,we have Beato and Ange falling out of the plane. Beato explicitly states she loves Princess,and if ur not convinced that its romantic,then the pripri game states it is so under her profile.Ange,hearing that,then say that"i hate the dumb princess",but we all kno Ange always lie,and Beato knows and pointed it out as well. Next,on the mission on the boat,Ange and Princess were talkin abt tellim their teammates abt them knowin each other sonce childhood,and in part of the convo,Ange says that she hates how she used to be,but Princess states its the old her that she loves. Next they had a convo where Princess states "i dont want to hide our relationship anymore" to Ange,and rly at this point the writers must be doin this on purpose.Sure u can say they mean childhood friends status but rl,the way they say it.Next on finap scene where Ange implies that had a romantic interest which got interrupted,and the next scene is she and princess holding hands.Thats rly speaks for itself who she is referring to. It rly doesnt make sense if she's referring to someonelse. Ultimatelt,if all these are between a boy and girl,people will say that theyre in love without deniability. These are just some examples i can think of and there are others.I rly dont believe all these are not intentional and were just "friendship" Most directors will nvr verbally canonise yuri relationships and i think this is one of em and they do so to not "offend" our rather homophobic society. The official arts also rly favors them loving each other romantically. Also,flip flappers which is made by them,features a rly good romantic yuri relationship,and if they can do it for them,i dont see y not for pripri.
Mojave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

This is basically them confirming there was no romantic feelings but they don't want to upset the fanbase that enjoys the idea of one.

I think Death of the Author is pertinent here. I've never been a fan of taking what creatives say about their work, thematically or narratively, as gospel if that conflicts with my understanding of it(nor am I a fan of asking creatives to explain interpretive aspects of their work, in general). Media is meant to be personal and interpretive. And rarely should there be a singular answer to something as far as I'm concerned. I actually didn't see any romantic feelings between the two of them, personally, but there is no reason, like Tachibana said, that anyone else can't. If you like them together, go for it.

I think you're misunderstanding Death of the Author. The concept applies to how work is interpreted and critiqued, especially when it applies to presuppositions of the author's intent. It has no bearing in overturning what the author proclaims to be canon for their work. If the author says the characters weren't written with a romantic relationship, then those characters are canonically not in a romantic relationship. That doesn't mean that someone can't personally ship them of course, but it does mean that it is strictly a ship for personal enjoyment, not one that has any bearing on or tie to canon.

It's actually the claim made in this thread that the authors are just exhibiting a form of homophobia in not acknowledging this same-sex relationship where Death of the Author would most properly apply. The concept rejects interpretations of an author's environment or any unstated intentions on their part, especially with regards to ideological motives.
someooone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
I really hope all this doesnt simply lead the studio yuribaiting us,i had enough of that as it is thank you very much.Hibike eupho makes me rly sick with how it yuribait its viewers and then proceed to to crush it with one of the girl loving her teacher and the other havin a het relationshp by the end on the novel, and while the interactions between ange and princess are not as cranked up as they are,it would rly be shitty to the lgbqt+ fans of the show if they introduce a male love interrst or some other bullshit if they make another season.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
@Mojave Didn't see your comment till I was finished. Sorry. I don't think I'm misinterpreting Death of the Author. I have been specifically talking about how work is interpreted here, after all. And I've read from English professors that it does, in fact, overturn what the author proclaims to be canon if that does not fit with your understanding of the continuity or content. If an author says two characters are in a romantic relationship, but there is literally nothing to support that textually, while there is textual support for an entirely different relationship, the author's interpretation has no more value than anyone else's. The basic purpose of Death of the Author is to level that playing field. Under Death of the Author, an author's word in regards to their content has exactly the same value as anyone else's.

Velshtein wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

Nah, death of the author is hogwash. When the author doesn't provide exactly to some people's demands, they become bitter and salty and scream death of the author in an attempt to give their fanon some validity it will never have. It is an attempt to elevate fan fiction to the authoritative level of original work. While fan fiction is good and ok, trying to make weird claims about it isn't.

Agreed. I'm tired of fans and their crack pairings. Seemingly any two characters that show any sort of care or camaraderie towards one another must have the hots for one another, even if canonically they are just friends, colleagues, or family members, etc. This rabid insistence among some fans to romanticize/sexualize all character relationships is pretty creepy.

I think you guys are focusing too much specifically on shipping and are maybe a little too bitter about it. Death of the Author is not just about shipping, or really much about it at all. It's about thematic and narrative intent, as well as the author's own stance on specifics of their story. I don't give a f*ck what people want to ship, and it's their own business(as long as they don't try to position it as canon or fact), but Death of the Author encompasses a lot more than that. If Tolkien wanted to say that the Ring is a symbol of industrialization, but to you it resonated more strongly as a symbol of the power of corruption, Death of the Author simply makes your interpretation just as valid.
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Ah Flip Flappers. The show that has the most same sex romance relationship tones and imagery without actually ever having the characters be in a relationship, with just enough plausible deniability to say the characters are straight. Another one of those series people say "you're reading to much into it". There's a lot to also delve into with this series, but the more horror school episode is a good example, the solo focus on the lily that's in the vase, which is focused on numerous times. The lily wall paper. Plus tons of other hints and winks throughout just that episode alone and there's so much of that throughout the entire series. But alas.

However in a hilarious turn of events the director for Flip Flappers is directing the anime adaptation of Citrus. Which is completely Yuri with no room for deniability and people saying "you're reading to much into it."

What are you talking about? First, Oshiyama is not Citrus' director. He isn't even involved in the anime, as far as I know. And second, Oshiyama and Yuniko (the main writer for the first part) always made it clear to say Flip Flappers WAS a yuri story. Of course you could deny it, but you would just be wrong.

As for the PriPri case, it doesn't even matter anymore. Given the number of fanart, the fanbase it got and how the director said it now, I know exactly what kind of appeal they'll have to do for the second season, regardless of how they planned it at first. I saw enough anime to know at least that much.
Mojave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@Mojave Didn't see your comment till I was finished. Sorry. I don't think I'm misinterpreting Death of the Author. I have been specifically talking about how work is interpreted here, after all. And I've read from English professors that it does, in fact, overturn what the author proclaims to be canon if that does not fit with your understanding of the continuity or content. If an author says two characters are in a romantic relationship, but there is literally nothing to support that textually, while there is textual support for an entirely different relationship, the author's interpretation holds no more value than anyone else's. The basic purpose of Death of the Author is to level that playing field. Under Death of the Author, an author's word no longer holds any more weight than that of anyone else.

That's incorrect. Saying, "I think those two are actually in a romantic relationship, even though the other says they're not" isn't an interpretation. An interpretation focuses on what themes, morals, etc. there are to be gleaned from a work, or how the content of that work fits into a larger societal framework. Death of the Author rejects that the author has a monopoly on interpretation. But it never disputes the author's written events. I think you misunderstood what the professors were saying. Death of the Author can overturn any claims the author makes about the authority of their interpretation. It never advocates for the overturning of the author's actual content if it doesn't fit your understanding of it.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@Mojave Didn't see your comment till I was finished. Sorry. I don't think I'm misinterpreting Death of the Author. I have been specifically talking about how work is interpreted here, after all. And I've read from English professors that it does, in fact, overturn what the author proclaims to be canon if that does not fit with your understanding of the continuity or content. If an author says two characters are in a romantic relationship, but there is literally nothing to support that textually, while there is textual support for an entirely different relationship, the author's interpretation holds no more value than anyone else's. The basic purpose of Death of the Author is to level that playing field. Under Death of the Author, an author's word no longer holds any more weight than that of anyone else.

Velshtein wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

I think you guys are focusing too much specifically on shipping and are maybe a little too bitter about it. Death of the Author is not just about shipping, or really much about it at all. It's about thematic and narrative intent, as well as the author's own stance on specifics of their story. I don't give a f*ck what people want to ship, and it's their own business(as long as they don't try to position it as canon or fact), but Death of the Author encompasses a lot more than that. If Tolkien wanted to say that the Ring is a symbol of industrialization, but to you it resonated more strongly as a symbol of the power of corruption, Death of the Author simply makes your interpretation just as valid.

Such a postmodernist approach to interpretation is ridiculous. Given your approach, people can make any story mean whatever they want. An author is the creator of the story and therefore is obviously in the prime position to dictate what is a valid interpretation and what is not. Fan-fiction does not supersede what is canon.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5