• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really have not posted here much yet, but I am actually enjoying the show quite a bit. I am totally shipping the crossdresser and detective, which is interesting because usually a BL pair feels forced and uncomfortable, but feels more natural here.

We have a sort of group now, so I would be interesting to see how it all goes going forward. Although, it might just be a baseball team.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that would be pretty hilarious if this suddenly became a baseball sports anime. Not really expecting that, though. I found the arc to be a satisfying length, it didn't feel too rushed to me. I guess I was wrong about Lin-Lin's sister not really being dead, which is too bad. Although maybe they are saving that reveal for later on? Ah, hope springs eternal. Anyway, I'm interested to see what's next.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Back when I was in high school, I read a lot of historical fiction (before it turned into bodice rippers). In those books little sisters seldom survived the first couple of chapters. They mostly seemed to exist to give the hero a tragic backstory. Lin is hardly a traditional hero though.

The only minor problem I had with this arc is that traditionally this content would show up in the second or third book of a series as a flashback to "when they met". Usually most such series start with the main team already in place and functioning.

I noticed that all of the people who "lost" in this arc didn't show up in this episode's opening. Now I have to go back and see if it was always that way or if they changed the opening.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
That ending reminded me of the "Baseball Blues" episode in Samurai Champloo. I wonder if we'll see them play. If so, I wonder how many of them will still be standing at the end of the game.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Ep. 5:

1. So are Lin and Banba living together now, or does Lin just randomly hang out at Banba's apartment and take naps on his couch? And the BL-tease-y moment turned out to be actually plot-relevant, who woulda thunk it.

2. Poor Newbie-kun just can't catch a break. Fortunately he has hot crossdressers around to save him.

3. This episode continues to be generous with the stupid (the new assassin dude is also into baseball?). I guess I'm just going to have to accept that this show has a much higher goofball quotient than it initially appeared...

4. People in Hakata are so used to hitmen that everyone's completely comfortable talking about offing people in soba shops and coffee shops and everywhere. Who needs secrecy? Also: Hitman Consultant.

Next episode: Lin pinch-hits for Banba, discovers an outfit that even he can't make look hot.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
Hitman Consultant is my new dream job now! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Submariner Ninja. Laughing Still, I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't remember his battery-mate. He must've been hell to catch for.

I used to do voice-overs for cheap local cable commercials, so when the ad included "For all your torturing needs!" I totally did a spit-take. Laughing

It's really weird how Banba seems to be the only hitman in town who grasps the concept of anonymity to keep people from putting a hit on you.

I'm having so much fun with this series. I wish more people knew about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of surprised that Lin-Lin sucked at baseball. Not that it's surprising that somebody who isn't familiar with the game would be bad at it, but I assumed they would go with the "natural athlete" route. His interaction with Banba continues to be an absolute delight.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if Murder Ink. will send a new assassin every episode.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 6:

So BOTH of the hitman groups have baseball teams? :skeptical: How did that guy get to be pitcher, anyway? He can't hit the side of a barn.

Torturer brought a cute pink outfit for Lin to change into. How thoughtful. <3

"Oh, that woman looks like Banba's former [gets cut off]" - Plot complication incoming! I'm going to guess spoiler[former business partner, not ex-girlfriend.]

I was hoping that Lin would save Banba, to return the favor. His arrival was kind of anti-climactic.

Fundoshi everywhere! Do we get Lin in a fundoshi sometime? Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
You heard him, he has to get warmed up first. Smile He actually did seem to be a good submariner with the shuriken after a few warm-up throws, and he hit the taillight with his kunai.

Of course they both have teams. You're not surprised both the Democrats and Republicans have a Congressional baseball team. Same thing. Wink

Edit: Weird, the Hakata Yamakasa festival popped up in Touken Ranbu this week too. Smile Sadly, no fundoshi though...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote

For about 2/3 of this episode I thought Enokida's cybercop contact was the same guy as the one working for M3. Even their voices sound alike, although I'm 99% sure that was Kenjiro Tsuda voicing the latter.

Enokida certainly had a surprising past. Love the butler too. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
So it's going to be the showdown of the genius hackers next week?

Even though i like Lin and Banba, i'm happy to see the side characters getting some of the spotlight and i wouldn't mind if this continued for a bit. Btw, do we know how many episodes this show will have by now?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Man, you really gotta check your real world morality at the door with this one, and just have fun while it rolls on over you. I mean, here I am feeling happy that the torturer dude got some work! Shocked Do I feel guilty? I do not.

Poor Lin, though, he just regularly gets the shit beat out of him. But I liked that they went to the trouble to foreshadow the height thing. This is really pretty tightly written, once you suspend disbelief over its basic premise. As far as I can see they've yet to leave a loose thread hanging.

Loved the wrap-up with his dad too. Nice to have some feels along with the fun.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9:

Well, *that* was unnecessary melodramatic and unrealistic, even for this show, but at least we know who the redhead in the ED is now. Will there be revenge!, or is he just looking to catch up with his old friend? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4