• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AKB48 Rumored to End Swimsuit Gravure Photos for Underage Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I do find it weird when larger groups like that do swimsuit shoots all together. It's like "Did really every one of them agree to that?"

To compare to voice actors and solo artists, some do photos with swimsuits or lingerie, others don't. What's the most skin Kana Hanazawa or Yui Horie has ever shown? I would think that a reason would simply be "Nah, I don't feel like doing that" and that there would be at least some members of idol groups who feel the same.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's sad that the suspected motivation for this is the 2020 Olympics.

Sometimes people have to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing the right thing, but at least it happens. America sort of has issues with this too. The actors are usually 18+ but a lot of movies have "sexy high school girls" in them. Sometimes nudity of said girls.

Anyways, the real sleaze will be revealed if post 2020 things go back to normal.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's sad that the suspected motivation for this is the 2020 Olympics. I imagine if they weren't worried about looking bad to the silly foreigners, they wouldn't make this move at all.

Agreed. Now to wait for the 2020 Olympics to be over to see what happens after, but by then the collective Japanese consciousness will think it's the norm by then. Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
America sort of has issues with this too. The actors are usually 18+ but a lot of movies have "sexy high school girls" in them. Sometimes nudity of said girls.

Anyways, the real sleaze will be revealed if post 2020 things go back to normal.

I've always appreciated Japan being more willing to cast minors in minor roles, where as most teenagers in American media are actors in their 20s and 30s.

Given this is only about AKB48, who were being considered to perform for the Olympics, it is most definately a case of sweeping stuff under the rug in preparation.

I don't see the big deal of teenagers in swimsuits, though.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
If true, then I suspect that the 2020 Olympics may be the reason for the abolition...
Whether this will have a good or bad effect as a result is up in the air.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
I do find it weird when larger groups like that do swimsuit shoots all together. It's like "Did really every one of them agree to that?"

Nothing weird about it. If they are not going to do group events, then they will no longer be part of the group. There is always someone else who wants their dreams to come true.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sparvid wrote:

Nothing weird about it. If they are not going to do group events, then they will no longer be part of the group. There is always someone else who wants their dreams to come true.

Sounds a lot like something Harvey Weinstein would've said to get away with his crap all these years Rolling Eyes
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sparvid wrote:

Sounds a lot like something Harvey Weinstein would've said to get away with his crap all these years Rolling Eyes

Considering a lot of senior managers & producers are the same people who were involved in j-pop in the 70s-80s, when the line between management company & prostitution ring were often blurry at best, there's definitely a few Harvey Weinstein's out there. They won't be exposed, though - not least because the past of people like Akimoto is already a public secret & it hasn't done their careers any harm.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
If this rumor is true this is great news and while adults can make their own decisions having high school students in gravure photo shoots simply made the idol industry look sleazy. Wake Up Girls was one of the few anime that covered this issue and while it is only a rumor at least it would indicate that there is concern over this issue.

AKB0048 has a gravure shooting episode; all the characters involved were between age ten and eighteen. The mains are all thirteen. I liked the show overall, but this episode was pretty skeevy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sparvid wrote:

Not saying you are wrong.

But when you are a part of a manufactured group, you do what your bosses tell you or you get out. These aren't bands or groups that formed independently. They take nobodies, train them, and make them part of a group to make them money. Sure it is a Faustian deal, but when you sell your soul to Khubey for the chance of fame who are you to complain.
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Lets compare to how it was like circa 2005...

https://thisistrue.com/saayairie/

Japan sure has slid backwards Laughing
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
On the subjecy at hand,

Does this new rule also apply to sister groups like HKT, MNB etc etc ?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
AKB0048 has a gravure shooting episode; all the characters involved were between age ten and eighteen. The mains are all thirteen. I liked the show overall, but this episode was pretty skeevy.
I never did watch AKB0048 and I am surprised they had a fanservice episode like that. Wake Up Girls had some problems but it had the guts to criticize the skeevy issues in the idol industry which makes it unique.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
]I never did watch AKB0048 and I am surprised they had a fanservice episode like that.

I liked most of AKB0048, but not so much this episode (10):

The girl behind the tree is 10-11; the one next to her is 17. The others are 13-14.
Qualms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
^

What's your issue with it, exactly? I think the image is quite cute. If it were a photo, I can understand why it'd be a bit untoward, but this is merely a cartoon. Besides, the subject matter is nothing that you wouldn't see on an average beach IRL, so I don't see it as something to get really antsy over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3