• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Ultra Edition Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Kudelia's characterspoiler[ falls apart though finally and becomes useless in the final half.]

Seriously Kudelia disappoints me so much, she's no second coming. Season 1 had all her growth and that was about it. Same with McGillis really became a loser of a Char Clone by season 2 too.

I'm well aware of the criticisms toward IBO's second season, as I have watched all of it subbed previously (and watching the dub on Toonami currently). However, I don't completely share all of those criticisms as everyone sees the second season quite differently. It's not Kudelia's fault that spoiler[she got sidelined as a baby-maker for Mikazuki]. I'm just saying her growth in the first season was really great to watch, and the earlier portions of season two had some good moments for her too.

rizuchan wrote:
Actually, I was always bothered by how many girls loved Wu Fei, despite him being a vocal, unapologetic misogynist.

Gundam Wing was strangely popular with a lot of the female students at my schools since they thought the five main boys were incredibly hot (a concept I didn't quite get until a year or so went by after the show's airing). Wufei's jackassery did not sway them. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I would argue that it's not just Relena's show, but also Zechs'. He is one of the main movers of the series, influencing a lot, moving a lot of pieces, and his actions have a focus. Plus it helps because he's Relena's brother, thus making a connection with her. So it's weird how the main focus of the series isn't the Gundam pilots, but Zechs and Relena; makes you wonder why they were even there other than to provide fangirl fodder.

That being said, the show is still a freaking mess. It really feels like they were trying to fit a way bigger story arc than what was shown into the show (which is saying something considering it was a 50 episode show). There's no focus on the show which, instead of leading to a sprawling, epic story line, just leads to a meandering narrative that confuses the viewer. Of the three initial alternate timelines of the Gundam series, Wing stands out in that it doesn't stand out. G Gundam did something completely different by doing an over the top super robot show (which weirdly enough also had some decent female characters like Rain and Allenby) while X provided a unique post apocalyptic scenario and focused story set up around the crew of the Freeden. Wing is an artifact, one that's interesting for examination but not for entertainment or thematic value.

G Gundam was Sunrise trying to go back from the brink of depression that Victory had caused to Gundam. Pretty much it's a kid's show that tries to make people forget about how depressing and dark Victory was the previous year.

Wing is yes confusing but it works as to me war is sometimes a confusing mess of sides fighting each other constantly. But to say it's not entertaining is rather well wrong to me and to treat it like a museum artifact is even more hilariously wrong to me. It may have it's problems but it still works. And no the focus is not totally on Zechs and Relena all the time, both characters disappear for large amounts of episodes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Reelena’s problems speak to the disconnect of the show as a whole. She’s supposed to be both the figure of peace...and a version of Sayla Mass who...wasn’t. The roles frequently make her contradictory.

Also G Gundam is amazing in how insane it is and I will argue with anyone who says otherwise. There’s probably a reason G and Wing were the two that really did well here. (G also bolted itself to the immense popularity of DBZ which only helped).
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Reelena’s problems speak to the disconnect of the show as a whole. She’s supposed to be both the figure of peace...and a version of Sayla Mass who...wasn’t. The roles frequently make her contradictory.
Sayla Mass has her own problems considering Tomino made her disappear after ZZ Gundam and apparently is never seen again for CCA. What happen to her? I didn't really see Relena as a version of Sayla, just like Zechs is really not Char, he's not a backstabber and a cold blooded opportunist. He may wear a mask and have blonde hair and plan a similar CCA event at the end but he's more honorable than Char and actually loves and cares for people a lot more. Yeah sure there are similar in the whole brother-sister relationship but Zechs is a different person who carries more shame than Char Aznable would ever carry.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This review gives me some vindication. I've been telling people for years that Gundam Wing is mediocre. Many would tell I'm wrong and the show is awesome. I'd come back with when was the last you watched it? They would almost always say when it aired or years ago. All I would have to say was exactly. Only people with nostalgia filled glasses say this is one of the better Gundam series when it's plainly just average.[/u]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One big surprise for me was the unexpected strength of Relena. I didn't like Relena during my first viewing because I thought she was too sentimental, but now I see that her optimism and stubbornness play a vital role in what could otherwise be a dark story full of nihilist characters who have either given themselves over to war completely or no longer believe in anything at all. ... If this is anyone's story, it's Relena's.

Relena is (nominally) the main character of Gundam Wing (as evidenced by her being all over that "weird" ED sequence). She was "hated" because she's not a pilot. (ie. the boys hated her because her story is about political intrigue, not giant robots fighting, and girls hated her because she's not a pretty boy) Pretty much every Gundam story at its core is "war is terrible, and ultimately pointless, let's all watch people come to understand it's futility". Relena's father was the politician trying to prevent the war and of course, she inherits his legacy and is trying to end the war.

I admit, that it's difficult to appreciate her considering that early episodes (for example, the birthday party thing) make her a pretty unbelievable character. Altho, in retrospect, (amusingly) Heero's initial "dislike" of her is probably one of the only things keeping her from coming off as a Mary Sue.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
This review gives me some vindication. I've been telling people for years that Gundam Wing is mediocre. Many would tell I'm wrong and the show is awesome. I'd come back with when was the last you watched it? They would almost always say when it aired or years ago. All I would have to say was exactly. Only people with nostalgia filled glasses say this is one of the better Gundam series when it's plainly just average.[/u]

I'm still of the mind it's better than the sum of IBO, actually the first season IBO is better than it by a bit but the second season drags IBO even lower than Wing.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Only people with nostalgia filled glasses say this is one of the better Gundam series when it's plainly just average.

I think you need to seriously consider your audience. If anyone told you this SHOW is awesome and you think its mediocre, that's probably a valid discussion. But if someone thinks this is one of the better Gundam shows they MAY not be a fan of Gundam's heavy-handed themes. There are several reasons none of the other Gundam shows have really caught on in America, and the age of the original is only one of them. Gundam 0080 is probably the most critically acclaimed Gundam, but I PERSONALLY cannot stand it. I fully UNDERSTAND what it is saying, but the way it is done ALWAYS ticks me off. For that reason I personally will always rate it the WORST Gundam, even tho I'm entirely aware that on a "technical" level, that is ridiculous.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
xchampion wrote:
Only people with nostalgia filled glasses say this is one of the better Gundam series when it's plainly just average.

I think you need to seriously consider your audience. If anyone told you this SHOW is awesome and you think its mediocre, that's probably a valid discussion. But if someone thinks this is one of the better Gundam shows they MAY not be a fan of Gundam's heavy-handed themes. There are several reasons none of the other Gundam shows have really caught on in America, and the age of the original is only one of them. Gundam 0080 is probably the most critically acclaimed Gundam, but I PERSONALLY cannot stand it. I fully UNDERSTAND what it is saying, but the way it is done ALWAYS ticks me off. For that reason I personally will always rate it the WORST Gundam, even tho I'm entirely aware that on a "technical" level, that is ridiculous.

I could never watch 0080 because it sounds all levels of Grave of the Fireflies sounding depressing. Even worse than Zeta or Victory, CCA.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I've planning to give this show a chance when I can, no matter what others say (From what I've heard online it's either a "you love it" or "you hate it", ever since I got this Endless Waltz VHS from a used library sale. I've only glimpsed at it in the English dub, have no nostalgic feeling for it at all (didn't grow up with Gundam myself), voice acting was OK and I disagree with the C rating for the art/animation I actually think it looks good and still looks better than a lot of anime of today (except maybe Sunrise's modern Gundam shows), though I doubt this looks like THE best Gundam (it got mediocre ratings in Japan if I'm correct). There's also a manga but I don't know about that. And I don't think I need to know about the whole "Gundam Wing vs Seed" arguments over which is better.

Which is better, English or Japanese? The VHS I have is in English.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Which is better, English or Japanese?

The dub was done by the Ocean Group, so it's pretty damn good. But the Japanese version has an all star cast, so there's that. But then, many of the dub actors went on to do a ton of great roles in the next decade. I'd choose Hikaru Midorikawa as Heero over Mark Hildreth, but I honestly can't choose with the rest of the cast. So... I don't think you could go wrong either way.

And the only Gundam Wing manga that's worth reading is all of the side stories. Episode Zero is really important for elaborating on the pilot's backstories. Battlefield of Pacifists, Ground Zero and Blind Target are all different interpretations on what happened between the series and Endless Waltz, though I think Blind Target is the most canon since it was based on a drama CD. Can't speak for the new Glory of the Losers manga - sounds like its bits and pieces of all the other manga?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I see, that's cool. I've heard Duo in the dub was voiced by Brian Drummond, who's an excellent actor (even got to star in two Bionicle movies which I loved). I guess I'll give both a chance. The hardest part is trying to find time to watch them... Confused

I can only find the Endless Waltz manga sadly. And usually I also try to stay away from the Gundam fanbase (considering you always got a lot of people trying to claim which Gundam series they love is the best and there's so many Gundam series it's like a galaxy of them)...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Back when this show was first airing on TV, I went from discovering that Gundam existed to buying VHS tapes and model kits from the original series in about a week (more out of necessity than anything else, as at the time the local mall had an anime store that offered a huge variety of Gunpla kits from anything other than Wing). As such, even though the Gundam franchise was definitely my "big introduction" to non-Pokemon/non-Digimon anime, Wing itself never really had much more of an impact on me than any other Gundam installment.

Looking back at some of these episodes now, though, I can see why Wing got me so hooked on anime: the plot really was so much more complicated than any other cartoon that was airing on TV at the time, and when you only got to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings, that level of complexity really drove you to want to find out more about the series online. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my parents' house I still have the dozens and dozens of pages of episode summaries - from Gundam shows that I wouldn't have to chance to watch until years later - that I printed off of Gundam fansites (found on Anime Web Turnpike, of course) and stuck in a big binder so I could read them when someone else was using the family computer.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I see, that's cool. I've heard Duo in the dub was voiced by Brian Drummond

Actually, Brian voiced Zechs. Duo was voiced by the ever-talented Scott McNeil (who is one of the reasons I prefer the English dub to the Japanese). Both dubs are good, but I still side with the English dub.

I've rewatched some episodes since its heydays in Toonami, and while I enjoy picking out the most memorable ones I've found that I can't fully engage the series or storyline with a genuine interest. I don't ever see myself watching the show from start to finish again. Gundam shows just aren't for me, and GW is the only Gundam show I've ever completed because the series wasn't like anything I had ever seen before (which made it engaging simply for being different) and it was the first series I got really seriously involved in shipping and fandom. My fangirl wake-up call. My first m/m slash couple, Quatre and Trowa.

Also, I hated Wufei with a passion. The series never warmed me up to him - only certain fanfics could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fast-forward 18 years, and this show is just as inscrutable as ever.

I really disagree with this. I found it much easier to understand a few years ago when I re-watched it. Overall easy to follow. I do agree on the "rabbit trails" though, and the Relena has been underrated forever.

This is one of the few choices I have trouble deciding on a dub or sub for. I really like both versions a lot.

xchampion wrote:

I'd still you that you're "wrong" (in quotes because everyone can have their own opinion). I've rewatched all the "modern" Gundam + Gundam Wing all within the last 5 years and I still enjoy Gundam Wing far more than most. Season 2 ruined Gundam 00 for me. Overall I also really enjoyed Gundam Seed franchise but it overstay it's welcome and it's really preachy in the most repetitive way. I don't even need to mention Age and Reconguista do I? IBO overall I really really liked. Yes, I'm one of the seemingly few (really, there's a lot of us, look at the average reviews) that enjoyed IBO Season 2 right up to the end. But Gundam Wing is still think has a solid story if you can follow it properly. Also some of the best Gundams, IMO. Wing Zero, Epyon, Heavy Arms, and Tallgeese II and III.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4