• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis Anime Reveals Promo Video, Visuals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Quote:
I think if it is ever going to work, then they are going to have use a different aesthetic, because the designs they use are clearly supposed to be 2D, and it ends up with this weird doll like appearance. Land of the Lustrous has me a bit worried, as now people are asking for more shows like it.

It’s really a matter of opinions though. Because you say that it may have “a weird doll-like appearance” but I think it looks completely fine.
[/quote] Well yes that's true, I just do what I can do. Which is to put forward an argument and then back it up. At one point I was open to the idea of 3DCG Anime, but if I do not even like the stuff that is considered good, then well I'm not going to like any of it.
KougaGennosuke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Garbage.

It's the same studio that made Knights of Sidonia. Before commenting like this did you even watch that masterpiece of an anime?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for it ! The CG is kinda new to me but i will take it over no Souten No Ken. I hope this series (and the prequel one) gets licensed in the near future.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
VoidSeeker wrote:
It's CG therefore we immediately have to compare it to Berserk 2016.

The comparison makes sense to me. Both Kentaro Miura and Tetsuo Hara have extremely detailed art styles with a lot of muscular detail and pen-and-ink elements like crosshatching that are essential to the look of the character designs. So neither one of their work seems like a very good candidate for a good looking 3DCG animation show.

Overall, the visuals in this are kind of a mixed bag. Some of the first scenes in the trailer look pretty bad, but some of the scenes towards that end actually looked impressive to me compared to the other pieces of Polygon Pictures shows I've watched.

ShinuZERO wrote:
Jojo is an example of a great show but one I’d rather see moved to cg because of all the wonky and inconsistant shots of characters.

That's because you watched it on streaming. Watch the corrected version on BD or it's not worth watching. Same goes from pretty much any good show. CG anime also have inconsistent off-model shots that eventually get corrected on the BD.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
I apparently will never understand why 3D anime artists/animators in Japan still think cutting frames to the extent that 2D anime does looks good. I have nothing inherently against 3D, cell-shaded graphics, but that choppy movement puts me off every single time. And sometimes details like the muscle lines just strike my eye as a flat texture pasted on a smooth model as opposed to the actual depth of sculpted muscles.

I feel they either need to have 2D art and cut frames per normal or have 3D art and don't cut frames (or at least not as many). I will say, though, that this does not offend my eyes as much as what I saw of Berserk, for what little that is worth.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Man, and I was looking forward to this one, too. Everything looks good in static shots, and I like the character designs, but as soon as they start moving it looks choppy and stilted. I'll still give the first episode a shot, but my expectations have been duly lowered.
VoidSeeker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:

The comparison makes sense to me. Both Kentaro Miura and Tetsuo Hara have extremely detailed art styles with a lot of muscular detail and pen-and-ink elements like crosshatching that are essential to the look of the character designs.

My point was that regardless what series it is, every new 3DCG anime gets compared to Berserk 2016. I think we all can agree that Berserk 2016 looked bad, but this doesn't necessarily mean that every other new 3DCG series will look bad too. [/quote]
russ869 wrote:

So neither one of their work seems like a very good candidate for a good looking 3DCG animation show.

That's true. They should have went with 2D, but I'm still curious how this will play out.
Enturax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:

Anyway, Polygon needs to realise that CG anime needs more frames.

This.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
There's already a Souten no Ken anime and it's a million times better than this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2