• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do I Need To Check All My Anime Blu-Rays For Errors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I had an experience where a Escaflowne DVD boxset I got had an issue on one of the discs where during a specific part on a specific scene during an episode the disc would simply stop and not proceed forward.

This occurred every time. There were no scratches on it. I took it back to the store and they inspected it, and the same issue occurred at the same moment.

They replaced it with another copy of the boxset, that one worked fine. So it was jsut an odd thing.

It's always a good idea to check. I usually sit down and watch the entire thing on my own time and like going through the special features, so I don't feel like I wasted any time, but of course I never do it all in one sitting.

So best advice is to get something from local retail if you can which has a good return/exchange policy. I've also had an issue with a boxset from Amazon for GITS:SAC where one disc was rattling around and the DVD case had a bit of a broken holder. But the disc was fine and I just had to be careful, so I didn't get it exchanged.

Blu-ray is my main default go-to now unless a blu-ray version of older series don't exist, and the scratch-proof protection on blu-ray is very good so there are less worries on my end. Haven't had any issues.
maxhate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I always check my discs asap all the way through. I've had 3 instances of video skipping up to 20 seconds on blu rays. All discs were scratch-free with no other noticeable defects. They were Yu Yu Hakusho set 1, disc2; Sengoku Basara Seasons 1 & 2 box set disc 3 and Fullmetal Alchemist disc 2.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
In all my years of buying anime DVDs, I think I've only had a single disc fail fresh out of the box. Not even sure what it was now; possibly And Yet the Town Moves. Sure there's been a bunch with various errors, but nothing fatal or serious enough to be worth returning. Never had a dud Blu-ray.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
Second, IIRC I've heard that some blu-ray drives can increase the drive speed or some other metric when reading (and writing?--I want to say the ability to increase speed or whatever it was had to do with the drive's ability to write to discs, but that it also could affect reading them) blu-ray discs, and that this may cause discs to play just fine in the drive, but that any issues may be still picked up by a normal Blu-ray playing device (Blu-ray players, PS3/4, etc.). Is that actually true? If it is, would using a Blu-ray drive that only reads Blu-rays, but can't write to them, nip that potential pitfall in the bud?

No, this doesn't happen. In the end a BluRay is just digital information stored on an optical disc, though the data is arranged in an optimal way to be read in linier order off the disc. The optical disc is read by the drive, the data is stored in a buffer (RAM) and it is decoded and played out of RAM. No BD player requires a read speed faster than 1x but a faster drive an allow some additional functions such as fast forwarding and such and of course faster reading if it's NOT a movie, like if it holds video games or other data. A faster drive can just fill it's buffer faster. All of the 'timing' information is in the video data, so if that data says '23.976fps' the machine will just play back the video at that rate. So the data in the buffer is still READ at the appropriate speed no matter how quickly the drive can fill the buffer.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@Justin Sevakis and Ashley Hakker, thanks for your responses to my questions! With that info, and once I get an external Blu-ray drive (my laptop only has a DVD drive), checking discs for non-physical errors will be so much simpler and headache-free.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These things are exceedingly rare...

I guess only my discs get sent to the dusty replicator company then. Smile My Ninja Scroll BD came with what looked like video corruption during some scenes (I was able to get a replacement from RS). One of my live-action BDs last year also had some issues and my Legend of Korra BD looked like this on the last disc:

Halko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
In literal thousands of DVDs I've had one error that i know of and it was on Planetes where the actual metal laminate bubbled up and even flaked off when i rubbed it. I have never ran into any other issue.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
If only the same thing could be said for scratches. I don't think I've received a Funimation Bluray/DVD release in the past two years that hasn't had at least one scratched DVD (although the Blurays are almost always undamaged).
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Funny story.

Case Closed Season 4 DVD Box set. Disc 4 wasn't working (all of the other discs worked properly, though). I contacted the retailer who asked me to contact FUNimation. FUNimation said they couldn't just send one disc of the set out so I had to mail the entire set to them so they could replace it.

I get the set back in the mail, and they changed it to the "Viridian Collection" line... which didn't match the rest of the sets I had but unfortunately the old sets where out of print.

So, I open the box and count: 1, 2, 3, and... that's it. The box only contained 3 of the 4 discs. The missing disc, disc 4, was the one I had problems with in the first place.

I contact FUNimation again and I don't get any response. About two days go by and I get my mail. In my mail I get an unbranded package from FUNimation containing a CD sleeve with a single DVD disc inside; disc 4 of the set.

Moral of the story... yeah, individual disc errors can occur. Though I'm not sure how common they are or if they are even a thing when it comes to Blu-ray.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't have the time to watch through an entire series when I purchase it, but at the very least I pop every individual Blu-ray and DVD into a drive and fire them up. I'll usually skip to a random scene/episode and then flip through some of the special features (for some reason I'm a sucker for trailers), so if there's some huge disk-wide error I'd be likely to see it. If there's a disk that has some visible scratches or I'm otherwise a bit paranoid over, I use a piece of freeware called VSO Inspector, which can perform a full scan of optical disks and report any read errors. It always used to horrify me when people whose collections were posted on Shelf Life had a bunch of disks still in the shrink-wrap. I mean, I've received far too many shipments where disks have fallen off the spindle to not want to at least visually inspect whatever I get, lest I find out far too late to be able to replace it easily. Plus peeling all that obnoxious packaging off feels like Christmas morning. Very Happy

It's strange, though: there's at least one instance I can think of where a Blu-ray disk has made the BD-RW drive on my PC completely lock up and hang on a particular scene, yet the same scene plays just fine on the family's stand-alone Toshiba player. I don't really notice anything visually looking at the disk, and running the disk-checking software didn't pick up any read errors, so I have no idea what was going on. The unfortunate part is that the disk in question is from the part 3 Blu-ray set of Twelve Kingdoms, which is nigh-unobtainable now, so even if I wanted to replace it I really couldn't. Ah well.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I can ever recall ANY DVD or BluRay that I have bought that has had errors or anomalies. I'm actually trying to recall something but nothing is coming to mind. Even in the later 90s when DVD first started coming onto the scene I can't recall one bad apple.

Now VHS? Yeah I don't miss that mess at all. I got no less than a dozen VHS tapes new when I was buying VHS that I had to return to the store. My most glaring memory I can remember was buying the individual four tape volumes (foolishly?) of Burn Up W, the fourth volume had an issue with the tape at the end where in the last five minutes of the tape it would never play past. Took it apart, attempted to repair, nothing, the tape was just a jumbled mess on the inside at that point. The icing was I waited so long to get around to watch it that I surpassed the return window. I actually did never get around to completing that episode until recently when I watched it online.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
It may have arisen from a hardware or software issue rather than a disc defect, though my DVD of Iria did suffer from persistent stuttering during playback. In a quaint way, the show itself became more interesting as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Only Blu-ray error I ever had was with Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail; wouldn't play in my Samsung BD player, just the PS3.
Cranium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I have 2 DVD movies that don't play properly anymore. One of them I watched only once, put back in its case, after a few years decided to watch it again and it didn't even start. The other one I didn't even watch ever, my parents watched it recently and it stopped at a specific scene, it had to be skipped to resume watching the movie. Both movies were bought new and are scratch free.
Crowjack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
There was a audio problem with Funimtions blu ray release of Code Geass. If I remember correctly the audio was only in mono for 2 blu rays in season 2. Something like that anyway. people made youtube vids about it.So after a few weeks complaing Funi acknowledged the problem and replaced the bad blu rays. I bought the collectors ed and my box was so crooked it wouldnt even tand up without falling over. After I sent in my pics of my box w proof of purchase and some numbers from my box, Funi sent me another box. Frusterating but it all got fixed in the end.I really wish the Ghost in The Shell SAC blu rays weren't messed up. But atleast i have the old dvds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3