• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Streaming Sites Block VPNs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Heck, I literally subscribed to my VPN so I could watch current seasons of The Great British Bake-Off

What's good for the gander is good for the goose! I take it that I may infer your personal stance on the practice from this information...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
When VPN is outlawed only outlaws will have VPN.
hickey92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I knew CR would put some kind of protection on eventually, but I didn't realise they'd go whole hog. A few years ago them doing this would have been problematic to me, but in recent years they've started expanding more anime to more territories.

Still, this really sucks for everyone that's still getting really limited service. I feel like region locks are counterintuitive since someone who is locked out from a show that really wants to see it might just resort to piracy if their VPN is blocked too.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Alas if they put more effort into negotiating global streaming rights instead of stopping VPNs, people wouldn't have to resort to VPNs or piracy.

It isn't as if the people that code the VPN filter have anything to do with the the staff that negotiate rights for series, or that CR had any additional staff expenditure for the former.

Your statement also makes it apparent that even if you bothered to read the article, you didn't (attempt to) understand it.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Not only video streaming websites like Netflix & Crunchyroll, VPN could also block Bittorrent as well & I encountered that. That's really sucks. I wonder if VPN could also block your messages on Facebook since that social media website is now on scrutiny on breaching data privacy to their FB users. Rolling Eyes
✨Natalie✨

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I used to use VPNs exclusively to access Crunchyroll.

My biggest issue was back when they a universal pricing scheme and regional licensing. If their premium service cost $5, then it cost $5 no matter what currency you were using and from which country you were from. This was insanely stupid back when I used to use CR since in the UK they had less than a quarter of the shows that the US had.
UK people basically paid for shows to get exclusive licensing in the US and that just wasn’t OK.

I don’t use CR at all these days due to them using Flash but I’ve heard they’re fixing that soon.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Why VPN when you can just torrent?

I'm fine waiting an extra day or two. Surely it's not that imperative to see something immediately.
Naiera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I justified that as long as I was still paying for Netflix that it was okay, but it's not.

It's not illegal to circumvent geoblocking.
Naiera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

Uh, torrenting is illegal.
Zahooee
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
As someone who travels(a lot) for work, I spend many long boring hours in airports. My primary reason for using a VPN is literally for security on public networks.

Forcing me to disable my security if I want to use a service I pay for (be it CR, Netflix or other streaming sites) is infuriating. I know *why* they do it, but it seriously ticks me off.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Zahooee wrote:
As someone who travels(a lot) for work, I spend many long boring hours in airports. My primary reason for using a VPN is literally for security on public networks.

Forcing me to disable my security if I want to use a service I pay for (be it CR, Netflix or other streaming sites) is infuriating. I know *why* they do it, but it seriously ticks me off.

Yeah, this would be a pain for world travelers and U.S. military members overseas. Years ago, I bought StarCraft 2 from the U.S. military exchange on Ramstein AB in Germany. Was able to play it for one day, before I received a in-game message saying I wasn't allowed to play a U.S. edition game outside of the U.S. Needless to say I was pissed, especially after spending the money for a new game, and it wasn't for another couple of years I decided to play it again.

But just like the Xbox One debacle, U.S. travelers and U.S. military overseas are not taken in consideration in these decisions, or considered as not worth the trouble.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

I'm fine waiting an extra day or two. Surely it's not that imperative to see something immediately.

Actually it is for many people that's one of the many reasons why piracy is so big.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

If the majority of the fandom gets to watch a show before you do, you might not be able to participate in the episode discussion. Which can be quite fun and enjoyable. When Puella Magi Madoka Magika first came out in Japan, I was an avid watcher on 2 chan. Watching everyone dissect the show and dig into the backgrounds was fascinating and rewarding. Each week you were on tenterhooks until the next episode.
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I justified that as long as I was still paying for Netflix that it was okay, but it's not.

It's not illegal to circumvent geoblocking.

In the US, circumventing geoblocking could be seen as a violation of certain provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of region lock shenanigans.

After a long time unsuscribed, I decided to subscribe to CR again because I REALLY wanted to watch four certain shows on TV, two current and two old, and I knew for certain CR had them.
Turns out, none of them were availiable for my region so that subscription is now sitting there unused. Back to subs in the horrible spectrum for me.

Smaller markets aren't serviced because they always pirate because they aren't serviced.

I don't blame CR too much for it since they aren't the ones calling the shots but the system as a whole is utterly skewed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3