• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't More Original Anime Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Even if you do, the moment you deviate from the source material to show your own vision there will be a stir among fans. Did we really need another FMA adaptation?

The first FMA anime wasn't really a case of showing your own vision. But rather lets make an anime of the manga that's not even half way finished while making it needlessly much darker for the sake of drama.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
TBH, I think it'd be kinda neat for Western animation to practice the "manga-to-anime" process as well.

By which I mean sort of like how superhero comics got cartoons, but more with a direct adaptation to it, like how manga get made into anime.

Comic books have been made into cartoons for decades. Warner Brothers is producing DC cartoons and Disney/Marvel is producing Marvel cartoons. But the setup of the cartoon industry and animation industry is different in the US than in Japan. In the US you've got the two major cartoon producers of Marvel and DC while there's more independence in Japan. And even if they don't produce the series they often control the distribution rights. This makes it hard for a small animation studio in the US to break in.

There's also more control over the publishing industry in the US which limits what could get adapted for animation. Better selling titles are more likely to get movie or TV adaptations, and very few animation studios can come up with the money. A major studio can pay millions.

And then you have to consider merchandising rights, which can often be a greater source of revenue than the cartoon. Overall, it just makes more sense to produce your own original work than to adapt someone else's work.
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@BlackPoint.

But you don't have to worry about stuff like being faithful for the source material, filler, author not finishing stuff, etc. Original works have their advantages like pacing, endings, character development on their own terms. Granted, budgets can prevent that from being perfect, but can be good when used well.

Please, be a troll. That is the worst statement I've seen in ages. Anime hyper
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
The thing with Orignals is that the studio has much more freedom aka it can make much better projects, while if you pick up a popular, but crappy deep down, light novel, you can't really spread your wings so to say.
To be fair the majority of original works are quickly forgotten and some are a complete disaster. I like the mystery of an original show but at least with an adaptation the production committee knows what they are buying. An original story is a gamble and even Hollywood studios that are owned by mega corporations worth tens of billions of dollars generally prefer adaptations for that reason.
jree78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Too bad Puella Magi Madoka Magica, an original anime, only lasted 12 episodes. I feel the series was actually canceled, much like most of the "Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Anime hyper et cetera" originals. What is the current fate of the franchise as a whole, I don't know.

You didn't see the movies? I thought it was pretty final after them.
junkozero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of the best anime last year (and of the past couple of years tbh) were anime originals like Re:CREATORS (thank God someone inally put that idea to use...and well) , Princess Principal and Tsuki ga kirei....
This past season we just had A place further the universe which was freaking fantastic.
Other years..Evangelion, Code geass, Bebop. Lain, Gurenn Lagann....etc...good stuff..all originals.
At least with originals the creators know they have to step up their game in terms of creativity and execution if they want their series to get recognized...with adaptations it feels like they're way more lax wen it comes to execution cause they basically already have an established fan base and a sense of guaranteed sales....not even mentioning what's been done to tokyo ghoul again this season....the middle finger fans of Classroom of the elite were given with its anime adaptation just because they felt tey didn't have to try hard enough due to the light novel being popular in Japan...like...sigh
...I'd definitely love more of those rather than all the trashy manga, game and LN adaptions we're getting these days for a quick yen.
(B the beginning this year was somewhat lucklustre but still waaay better than most anime that were adaptations at least and a total breath of fresh air)
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime studios barely have enough time and resources to animate! You want them to be original too!?

I think the lack of original anime is because current market conditions allow most productions to be market tested in manga and light novel form before studios spend resources trying to animate it. It's less risky for the studios that way.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Anime studios barely have enough time and resources to animate! You want them to be original too!?

I think the lack of original anime is because current market conditions allow most productions to be market tested in manga and light novel form before studios spend resources trying to animate it. It's less risky for the studios that way.

Studios don't spend any resources in animating adaptations. The anime adaptation don't belong to them. They are paid by production committees to make the adaptation. The anime been a sucess or a flop doesn't matter because the studio will receive the same amount of money.

Is a risk, but if a studio want to make any sort of a real great profit out a anime, they will have to make a anime original that will belong to the studio like what happen with many Sunrise anime originals.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Yes but they've been doing that for 50 years now, and while we do seem to have been getting a bit more original titles recently, it would be nice if we could get somewhere close to half of all Anime as original content, rather than having to watch a 13 episode show that covers 6 volumes of a Manga series that is not finished yet.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Studio 3Hz has explicitly stated that their focus is on original anime productions like Flip Flappers and Princess Principal. The first of these was a disaster in terms of disc sales, averaging fewer than 1,000 copies per volume, but PP has been a decent success selling around 5,000. (Cute girls with a straightforward plot apparently sell better than cute girls with a dense story full of symbolism and subtle yuri references.)

One item not mentioned is ancillary products. Apparently the prospects for a second season of Princess Principal depend in part on how well figurine sales do. Not every anime-original story can rely on merchandise to cover their costs. I cannot find any figurines for Flip Flappers which tells you something about its success.

Creators of original works have faced the types of problems Justin described for years. Iso Mitsuo peddled his treatment for Dennou Coil for some seven years before getting Madhouse and the NHK on board. At an event after the show was released he remarked "that original works are not particularly welcomed or commended by the anime industry, which was originally created to animate manga in the first place. Like when everyone gets together to make an original anime but it doesn't sell... he ventures that perhaps this industry is not suited for making original projects."

Shirobako's first season shows the team at "Musashino Animation" producing an anime-original work; the second season follows them adapting a manga. The latter shows many of the problems of working with a production committee, the publisher, and the author. Unfortunately we never hear how well the original production sold compared to the adaptation. P.A. Works released short versions of both shows, though the first ("Exodus") has apparently been pulled off YouTube unlike Third Girls' Aerial Squadron. If every original show were as bad as "Exodus," we'd be in deep trouble.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

12 episodes and 3 movies. Also 13 mangas, 1 LN, 2 games.

No, it wasn't canceled, Just ended. Everything that was planed for the franchise was made already.

And on top of that it keeps churning out new merchandise to this day.

Shows like Madoka are why studios keep taking a chance on original productions. The risks of a flop are high, but if you get a major hit, it can keep your studio afloat for years to come, even more than a hit manga adaption can. Just look at what Evangelion as done for Gainax or Gundam for Sunrise.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it feels like we used to get a lot more original anime simply by virtue of the fact that we used to get a lot more mecha shows - and other "toyetic" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyetic) franchises - that could be funded solely through sales of related model kits, action figures, dolls, etc.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Sunrise has actually started publishing their own light novels. It wouldn't surprise me if we see them start to adapt some of the more popular ones into anime later.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Sunrise has actually started publishing their own light novels. It wouldn't surprise me if we see them start to adapt some of the more popular ones into anime later.

Kyoto Animation's already been doing that for several years, with their LN imprint publishing titles like Chunibyo and Free that were later adapted to anime (and Phantom World, but nobody has a 100% success rate). It's a good way to see if the public likes the concept before fully committing to an anime project.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Self-producing a show is very very difficult. It requires deep pockets (or a parent company with deep pockets) and/or a concept commercial enough that multiple sponsors can be sold on the idea, who then join to become a production committee.

Which is why you see "The (Title) Committee" on the production ownership credits for a show--
A group of producers, maybe some of them part-time fans, got together and decided there had to be an anime of Kemono Friends, or My Hero Academia, to cash in on the success and root the title in posterity.

We don't have that as much since our comics are all divided between the Big Two, both of whom now already have their own comic-book divisions to promote.
Except during the late 90's, when indie Dark Horse Comics had its own film-committee division, and could produce and shop around its own live-action movies of The Crow, The Mask, and Mystery Men.
Getting a TV cartoon of an indie print title like "Cadillacs & Dinosaurs" or "Wild C.A.T.S." going in the 90's was slightly harder, since there was only a limited market for where cartoons could be sold, either in syndication or Saturday morning, and the latter was too corporately tied up with networks.

Quote:
Since making a show of their own is a major undertaking that is very important to the studio staff, oftentimes they can stretch themselves to the brink, both physically and financially, in getting it produced.

The first Tenchi OVA/series is a good example of an original anime franchise started ahead of the manga, but that had Pioneer's tech-corporation money behind it, which is how we got "Pioneer" turning up in the theme song, and their video cameras and TV sets showing up in the Masaki's living room.
Most original productions aren't that corporately connected, if they're just a committee shopping around, and that was still back in the days when anime was still a good mainstream idea.

FireballDragon wrote:
TBH, I think it'd be kinda neat for Western animation to practice the "manga-to-anime" process as well.
By which I mean sort of like how superhero comics got cartoons, but more with a direct adaptation to it, like how manga get made into anime.

So, sort of like the way even DC fans say that DC Animation's direct-video titles are better than Warner's big-budget movie misfires--Since the Animation titles are largely produced and written by the comic-book writers who decide which of the classic historic print-comic arcs (like "Flashpoint" or "Batman: The Killing Joke") should be rooted in animation for posterity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4