• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Latest DARLING in the FRANKXX Episode Inspires Angry Hashtag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The actual worst enemy in Franxx is..... the lack of communication. All of this shit could have been avoided if even ONE person in this triangle would have explained. Freaking lock those three in a room and don't let them out until they spill everything.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Can't we just admit that episode 14 had terrible writing?

Its the same misunderstanding/lack of communication scenario you seen in dozens of melodramas, so I'm baffled that people are legit upset as this ultimate cliche.

(spoilers)
spoiler[Hiro leaves his room because the team want to keep him and 02 separated rather than, I don't know, letting them talk openly as a unit. So as Hiro leaves, 02 suddenly remembers that's she's half klaxosaur and just stomps her way to Hiro. Ichigo, rather than alerting her teammate watching the door to (actually all of this would prevented with cellphones since this is set in the FUTURE but whatever), just wanders inside the room. Now, I'm not sure why no one on the facility didn't see/report Hiro but, concerning how he has a history of dodging these idiots as a small child, maybe they're just useless?

So, 02 rightfully gets pissed but it's Hiro's fault for calling her a monster rather than calming her down! Ichigo should have asked what Hiro saw when he merged with 02 so I agree that her jealously played a part in this mess. Sure 02 wasn't listening to reason but, as the leader Ichigo should have tried. ]

BTW I don't like Ichigo or 02, Ikuno is my waifu.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
You all do know that Ichigo's actions were cause she selfishly wanted Hiro for herself, not out of any rational sense right?

Sure Zero Two has a lot of problems, but Ichigo's no better herself.

She doesn't even care if he hates her because of what happened, as she only wants his well being, that as much selfless love as it can possibly get, and she explicitly stated that to him.

Ichigo literally did nothing wrong and 02 had it coming for quite a while.

Can I see how Ichigo's actions are selfish? Yes. She loves Hiro. She wants him to herself, that much has been obvious since episode one, but lets not skate over one of the key reasons she did this. You can argue time and place of the confession spoiler[(she should have did it way earlier, specifically the episode where she screwed up and said she saw Hiro as a big brother)], but the fact of the matter is that 02 is LITERALLY killing the boy.

No matter how much they may love each other and want to be together that is an undisputed fact. it's tragic yeah, but thats the breaks, and if Hiro is so desperate and selfish enough to still pilot knowing the risk of his own life then someone needs to bring his head out of his ass and that person is Ichigo at the moment. Him dying in the middle of battle or something would break everyone in the squad including her. Again the timing of the confession was all wrong, but I digress.

If it was just Hiro, 02, and Ichigo being in this thing she would have been fine. She would grin and bear and keep moving because that's what she's been doing almost the entire show, but that changed when 02 attacked everyone else. At that moment Ichigo had to make an executive decision to get 02 the franxx up out of here. So I stand with her.

That being said, these memes are pure gold and need to keep riding.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Can't we just admit that episode 14 had terrible writing?

I can get behind that statement. Episode 14 ruined just about everything great about episode 13.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 had absolutely fine writing that was completely consistent with the characters and the thematic elements of the show. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it wrong. As I have been saying from the start in the shows comment thread, people are blowing things waaaaaay out of proportion and forcing their own sympathy for 02 onto Ichigo even though Ichigo has no reason at all to feel anything towards her. Lets see someone spoiler[purposefully choke out your lover, break your arm, and almost kill you,] and just expect everything to be totally OK.... Since that's what the Ichigo haters are all expecting.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Can I see how Ichigo's actions are selfish? Yes. She loves Hiro. She wants him to herself, that much has been obvious since episode one, but lets not skate over one of the key reasons she did this. You can argue time and place of the confession spoiler[(she should have did it way earlier, specifically the episode where she screwed up and said she saw Hiro as a big brother)], but the fact of the matter is that 02 is LITERALLY killing the boy.

No matter how much they may love each other and want to be together that is an undisputed fact. it's tragic yeah, but thats the breaks, and if Hiro is so desperate and selfish enough to still pilot knowing the risk of his own life then someone needs to bring his head out of his ass and that person is Ichigo at the moment. Him dying in the middle of battle or something would break everyone in the squad including her. Again the timing of the confession was all wrong, but I digress.

If it was just Hiro, 02, and Ichigo being in this thing she would have been fine. She would grin and bear and keep moving because that's what she's been doing almost the entire show, but that changed when 02 attacked everyone else. At that moment Ichigo had to make an executive decision to get 02 the franxx up out of here. So I stand with her.

That being said, these memes are pure gold and need to keep riding.

I mean, I totally agree with you, I just didn't enter in details as to 02's character, who actually killed her partners before, Hiro being the next potential victim. Ichigo pretty much justifiably did the right thing in that situation, even because 02 was going psycho bitch on everybody (you probably didn't intend to quote my post, I guess?).

To be honest, the writing in this show isn't even good, but people must be blind for acting like 02 is anything more than a meme that must be defended against big bad shipwrecker "Bitchigo", when she herself is the most selfish character (to a lethal degree) of them all.

I can see Ichigo acting debatably poorly here and there due to jealousy and breaking heart issues, but I wouldn't go as far as to call her a selfish character at all. The circumstances just happen to go in favor for her with 02's departure, and she finally decided to confess her obvious love for Hiro. She also saw as an opportunity to get his mind away from 02, while assuming all blame for the happenings, while she as also decided to live with him hating her if necessary, as long as he is okay,

This is probably an /a/ thing yet again, they did a similar hatewagon with Code Geass in the past. Most of the posters are treating the show as a trainwreck and only watching it for the meme (that is mostly attributed to 02's character), no wonder the situation ended up poorly tbh
eliram

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm eating up the drama (in show and otherwise), but lets keep it civil.
NormanS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile i am here wishing the mecha part of the show will improve. I might be watching this show for the wrong reasons.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this just a click bait article or are a ton of fans really upset? I feel like there just trying to make an article out of nothing but I'm too lazy and uninterested to find out for myself...
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I really couldn't care less about the romantic subplots, plus it isn't even yuri. I'm just watching for the mysteries regarding their world because it genuinely making me interested. The whole things really does hit an explosive nuclear barrel though, which shall seal Darling in the franxx in the mind of future anime watchers.
Hmognas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Apparently social media is "LIT" I guess. I haven't watched the show in awhile. That's what happens when you're again a prisoner at your mother's place and you can't get to your BD. LOL.

(Yes, I have two wireless BDs, a defunct LD player, VHS/DVD combo, a defunct region free player, a new region free player, two ROKU comb streamers (one for each place) and several streaming accounts. Mom's got the HDTV and one of my BD players and steaming devices and I have other BD and streaming device for my old CRT. So I'm covered in all matter of ways.)

Now I'm curious to know what the hell went on now. But been holding back just to have enough episodes to work with.

But man I was just having a conversation about how crazy fandom can be. But is this madness from Western side or Japan's side?

Western, https://twitter.com/sakyuuga/status/985812378150289408 though it's just overdramatized IMO, it's pretty much just angry people ranting in Twitter and then it's a "Death threat".
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
DEATH TO *CH*GO
THE DAY OF THE BERRY PLUCKING IS COMING
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
^^ I get it, Strawerberries...Laughing

Anyway, for those using the "02 trying to kill Hiro" line of reasoning to justify Ichigo, Hiro's life hasn't been in danger for a while now other than 02 trying to choke him, but I think it safe to say that won't happen again because of Ep13. For those asking if lots of people are really upset, I'd check the comments in the DitF thread here and realize the crowd is much less rabid in general than other places. Also, sorry Norman S but I don't think the show cares about mecha like you do, here they are just a lazy but safe excuse to get the girls and boys doing things together as couples so antics can occur. A little too soon to say the writing is bad, but I tend toward that interpretation too. Getting a kick out of the ridiculous drama though, guess it means the show is popular enough...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
You know what they say All press is good press
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Its the same misunderstanding/lack of communication scenario you seen in dozens of melodramas, so I'm baffled that people are legit upset as this ultimate cliche.

I agree that it's an eye-rolling set up for easy drama, but I think that's honestly part of why it's irritating people so much - it's such an obvious contrivance it's that much more infuriating the character driving it doesn't see it coming (even if they are a cartoon teenager).

James' weekly review on this episode touches on another aspect that's probably a factor here, about Zero Two "finally starting to feel like a character in her own show". She is an instantly interesting character who you want to know more about, but for so long she's been kept around largely as a plot device while everyone else gets the focus. I'm hoping that's changing, but yes, I can understand being extra angry when "character you want to see more of finally gets her spotlight...to suffer and be humiliated, for dumb reasons".
jtiskool305 wrote:
You know what they say All press is good press

This is also very true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4