• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Shin Evangelion Film's Teaser Reveals 2020 Opening Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it truly comes out in 2020. Expect Funimation's BD release around 2025. Twisted Evil
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Just try to bring it together, Anno. And make up you mind if these films are yet more deconstruction or a reconstruction that you seem to promise it be back in 2007.

he completely changed his mind about whatever he had planned for these films after 2.22.
3.33 had absolutely nothing from what the preview at the end of 2.22 promissed us.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Crazy to think the entire MCU came out in less time than these 4 movies...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. Rolling Eyes
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
So he was planning to release it when the olympics start
Naotomato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
2020 is a placeholder date. It's probably going to get delayed again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
2007, 2009, 2012... 2020.

Fortunately for us, Anno has a greater competence when it comes to directing Eva works than when releasing them in accordance with any recognisable integer sequence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Just try to bring it together, Anno. And make up you mind if these films are yet more deconstruction or a reconstruction that you seem to promise it be back in 2007.

He never promised either. Those were labels that we, who thought we understood storytelling better than we did, applied.

Zin5ki wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
2007, 2009, 2012... 2020.

Fortunately for us, Anno has a greater competence when it comes to directing Eva works than when releasing them in accordance with any recognisable integer sequence.

We are even more fortunate that he didn't space the dates out in accordance with Friedman's TREE sequence!
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Why do I have the feeling that 3.0 + 1.0 is just going to just be Death & Rebirth but, with more CGI pianos?

Anyway, I'm looking forward whatever happens in 2020 whether it's the actual movie or Pen Pen reading absurdist poetry for 50 minutes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand the hatred for Eva 3.0. It was a beautiful heart breaking story that challenged all our preconceptions for the series and completely flipped the "get in the robot" theme of the original series on it's head. Anno didn't change his mind on the plot. The trailer for 3.0 was obviously meant to be fake to mess with the fans because that's Anno's MO to mess with the fans. End of Evangelion was made as a screw you to the fans who hated the TV series ending. If you think Anno is regretting 3.0 and that he'll cave into the fans with the finale, you're going to be disappointed. Anno isn't the type of director who cares what the fans think and that's what makes him brilliant.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the teaser wasn't anything special outside of maybe the Shinji/Kowaru image and words ,words, words on a black screen. and the sound of an orchestra tuning their instruments?

Either way, I'm hyped!

Here's hoping we'll get a subbed theatrical release elsewhere worldwide in 2020.

Otherwise this means waiting for the Japanese blu-ray in 2022 with '4.44' and it's inevitable piracy.

Then finally the official English 4.44 in 2024.

So a limited theatrical release in select cities around 2020 is the least they could do. Please get on this Funimation.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can somewhat believe the latest date for anime´s version of Duke Nukem Forever, as the film is still not coming out for another 2 years. Unless they are still in per-production. They were hiring animators in key positions only a few months ago. Oh boy.
The 13 year journey is obviously preposterous but the manga took 19 years to finish, so there is that. I just want Hideaki´s crazy ride to end...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
#879773 wrote:
No trailer posted? Epic fail.

Ha!
You say that knowing full well that even when they post a trailer it will just be 1.5 minutes of a man playing a cello in a dimly lit room.

Thanks, I needed that laugh! Very Happy
space.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Mad excited
BenFotomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Zeino wrote:

he completely changed his mind about whatever he had planned for these films after 2.22.
3.33 had absolutely nothing from what the preview at the end of 2.22 promissed us.

Man, I was sure I was the only one who was still thinking about this years later... LOL

I loved 1.11 & 2.22, but 3.33 was a piece of s*** movie. So much potential ruined again by Anno's mind f*** needs.

I want to see the movie, but I know it will end up a one watch movie for me, like 3.33 & End of Evangelion was...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2