• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Launches 'Kids' Label With New Hello Kitty Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
I hope they get Pri Chi-Chan and similar stuff.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
Sentai Kids, a label as superficial as the previous one (long story).

However, that's not (necessarily) what concerns me.

This label of theirs isn't going to have dub-only releases, is it? After all, it's not just the fans who watch anime in their original language. A label such as this would/could be an easy excuse for not bringing out a show's full potential. The last thing Sentai needs to do is to bring back the previous "anime for the fans vs. anime for everybody else" disparity.

Incidentally, "Hello Kitty and Friends: Let's Learn Together" should not be confused with "Growing Up with Hello Kitty" another educational show that can currently be seen (dub only) on a Roku channel called Cocoro (well, last time I checked, anyway).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks' predecessor ADV Films had an ADV Kidz label, though it published only non-anime titles.

Not true, as ADV Kids was where the Mega Man: Upon a Star OVA was released under, as well as DiC's infamous Knights of the Zodiac adaptation of Saint Seiya. To be fair, though, these might have been the only anime to be released under this label.

Still, I hope this isn't the people at Sentai wanting to return to the girth of the old ADV days. If we start seeing news of a Sentai Manga label, then we better start worrying...

not really. if it wasnt for ADV manga, then the manga versions of full metal panic, and chrono crusade would have never been released in the US. though everyone was expecting them to do the same for elfen lied. dont know what happen with that!

also they never had an adv kids for those child friendly titles. they all had the old adv films labels on them, including the DIC versions of both saint seiya and sailor moon! (which you forgot to mention)

I should know cause i STILL have the VHS versions for both of those series!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
not really. if it wasnt for ADV manga, then the manga versions of full metal panic, and chrono crusade would have never been released in the US. though everyone was expecting them to do the same for elfen lied. dont know what happen with that!

Yes, ADV did fully release some manga, as I have their Orphen release, but the large chunk of their catalog was left unfinished. Ray, Those Who Hunt Elves, Vaizard, Aria, Gamerz Heaven, Cromartie High School, & Loki Ragnarok are but a few titles that were never finished by ADV. Arguably, ADV was more spotty with its ability to finish manga than TokyoPop was.

Quote:
also they never had an adv kids for those child friendly titles. they all had the old adv films labels on them, including the DIC versions of both saint seiya and sailor moon! (which you forgot to mention)

I should know cause i STILL have the VHS versions for both of those series!

Really? Then why do I see the red/green/blue-colored ADV Kids logo on the cover of the Mega Man OVA when you look online, and why do my Knights of the Zodiac DVDs all say "ADV Kids" on them, just like they show online? Also, looking online for actual photos, the VHS tapes for KotZ also have the ADV Kids logo on them.

And I didn't "forget" to mention Sailor Moon, and that's because, like you said, they only had the regular ADV logo. If you want something I did "forget", though, then there's the Korean anime Michel, which was released both via singles & a later boxset through the Kids label. Look, I'll admit if I'm wrong about something, but ADV did release anime, both edited dub-only & dual-audio (at least for Mega Man & Michel), via the ADV Kids label, so that could potentially be a good sign for Sentai Kids, for those who might have been worrying. Also, I don't know why everyone uses the "Kidz" spelling, because the ADV logo is very obviously using the proper spelling on the covers I linked to; I guess maybe it was an initial spelling?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Well what would be a smart move is to be able to have these titles at like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. Little kids are not going to care about it, if they can’t see it for themselves in a retail store. Sure a parent could order it online and just surprise their kid, but with kids it’s better to have them see it for themselves.

This is true. that's exactly what AnimEigo did when they picked up Growing Up With Hello Kitty as their comeback title in 2012 and it sold in those stores.

The only thing that might be a problem is Sentai dropping the DVD format because with Target and especially Wal-Mart, not all of their stores carry as many Blu-ray releases as we would like plus if they want parents to pick up these shows for the kids who want them, it would be for the best to release DVD singles (for TV shows under the label) and at cheap prices if possible. Shout's single releases of Miraculous season 1 had 6-7 episodes in each for $15 MSRP and were available at Best Buy and Target stores for less than that. Unfortunately, the $20 complete set didn't get released in stores at all and had to be bought online (and I don't mean as a Shout Select title).

TheHTRO wrote:
This label of theirs isn't going to have dub-only releases, is it? After all, it's not just the fans who watch anime in their original language. A label such as this would/could be an easy excuse for not bringing out a show's full potential. The last thing Sentai needs to do is to bring back the previous "anime for the fans vs. anime for everybody else" disparity.

Can't speak for now but when they had Mega Man: Upon A Star (which I still own and can also confirm the ADV Kidz name present there), that included both versions.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
[quote="NJ_"]
MoonPhase1 wrote:

TheHTRO wrote:

Can't speak for now but when they had Mega Man: Upon A Star (which I still own and can also confirm the ADV Kidz name present there), that included both versions.

Interesting... I plan to see where this goes, because it would be nice to have the sub versions included as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
November solicitations are out.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/704042-sentai-filmworks-november-2018-solicitations

Quote:
Title: HELLO KITTY ~ COLLECTION 1
Published by: Sentai Kids
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 70 min.
Street Date: 11/20/2018
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $14.98

SYNOPSIS: Hello Kitty and her twin sister Mimmy love to explore and learn new things, and learning becomes even more fun when you have someone to share it with. So you can imagine how excited Kitty is when she learns that her family has new neighbors, the Berry family, who also have a set of twins, Amy and Eric! And they're the same age as Kitty and Mimmy! Plus, Amy and Eric also have another brother named Harry, who is really smart! That's three new friends to go out and have adventures with! Whether they're learning to tell time, fold origami or just help around the house, there's always something new to discover in HELLO KITTY AND FRIENDS - LET'S LEARN TOGETHER!

Title: HELLO KITTY ~ COLLECTION 2
Published by: Sentai Kids
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 77 min.
Street Date: 11/20/2018
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $14.98

SYNOPSIS: Hello Kitty loves learning new things, and now that Kitty and her twin sister Mimmy have three new friends, it seems like there's never enough time for all the adventures they could have. But that doesn't mean that they're not going to try! From experimenting with shapes and learning to take care of flowers, to studying dance and the rules for visiting other people's houses, it's all very educational and exciting. If you want to have lots of fun and discover new and amazing things, come join Kitty, Mimmy and the three Berry children, Amy, Eric, and Harry, and share the friendship and wonder as they explore the world around them in HELLO KITTY AND FRIENDS - LET'S LEARN TOGETHER Volume 2!

DVD-only singles, dual-audio and at $15 each? Good!

Let's see if these get to those specific stores now.

EDIT: Links

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/hello-kitty-and-friends-lets-learn-together-collection-1
https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/hello-kitty-and-friends-lets-learn-together-collection-2

Last edited by NJ_ on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks Lord Geo and consignia for the corrections on the ADV Kids background info. I verified what you told me and added a little more background on which Hello Kitty shows were released under which label.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

DVD-only singles, dual-audio and at $15 each? Good!

Let's see if these get to those specific stores now.

I'm surprised! Most kids shows are released on cheaper single discs, but nice to see that Japanese is actually an option Smile
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Very accessible prices, DVD format, and dual-audio. Color me impressed. I think they might know what they're doing here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
they could use this label and release the Precure series without any of that Glitter Force bullshit.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
they could use this label and release the Precure series without any of that Glitter Force bullshit.

Yeah, I doubt that. Toei wanted the toy deals and their best bet Saban couldn't pull through. If Saban/Netflix couldn't guarantee toys, I doubt Sentai could.

This goes for a lot of the really really big TV kids anime in fact since those generally rely heavily of merchandise and broadcast deals.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This Hello Kitty release amounts to about 2.5 hours of material and the discs will probably get placed next to the Nick Jr. ones at Wal-Mart. Kids and parents know Hello Kitty. Going from that to expecting Sentai to commission dubs for 50+ episode kids shows with zero western brand recognition is a huge leap. The home video market isn't exactly hot anymore.

Aim a little more realistic. Maybe Sentai Kids will release the Beyblade Burst or Yo-Kai Watch dub on DVD or something? The latter's movie hasn't even gotten a disc release here.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Aim a little more realistic. Maybe Sentai Kids will release the Beyblade Burst or Yo-Kai Watch dub on DVD or something? The latter's movie hasn't even gotten a disc release here.

Or maybe the new Mega Man cartoon? Would you know who releases the more recent DHX productions on disc (if there are any)? I only know of Mill Creek but through titles from the former DiC/Cookie Jar library (like Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad which I still own).
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe DHX has a carte blanche home video partner for their newer titles in North America. I'm not sure how many of their current shows have physical home video releases. It doesn't seem like Inspector Gadget does. The Degrassi releases stopped. Cloudy with [...] has a few DVDs from Sony, but that's based on their movies so I don't think that means anything. Shout put out the Slugterra discs, but those are a few years old now.

edit: Oh, Shout did Kuu Kuu Harajuku releases just a few months ago. Doesn't seem like their partnership with DHX is all-encompassing, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3