• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Giant Robo, Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The characters in Kimagure Orange Road, look a lot like the ones from Ranma.

More precisely, the characters look a lot like the ones in other Rumiko Takahashi adaptations like Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura that also had character design by Akemi Takada, who did a lot of designs for classic '80s anime, including a fair number of the Takahashi works that Kitty Films had Studio Pierrot and Studio Deen do the animation work, as well as some other Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Pierrot works. However, she did not do Ranma 1/2, despite it generally falling in that category.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
From what I've always heard, Voltes V is super popular in the Philippines, and may have led to the downfall of Ferdinand Marcos and.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hmm, 18 volumes of Kimagure Orange Road -> 48 episodes. 18 volumes of Galaxy Express -> 113 episodes. Filler much? And would GE99 be the first North American in-house BD upscale of analog masters? I have to think sticking to DVD or SDBD would be cheaper and not substantially worse quality.

Eh, Galaxy Express 999 isn't nearly as bad when it comes to filler as a lot of things. The series is practically an anthology to start with, so adding in a bunch of new, standalone episodes didn't hurt it any. The manga is full of borderline unconnected stories that have next to nothing to do with each other aside from Tetsuro and Maetel, so adding in more works just fine.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The characters in Kimagure Orange Road, look a lot like the ones from Ranma. I wonder why that particular Lupin entry was chosen, not saying it shouldn't be, just that there are more well known titles out there.

It's a Lupin movie. That's all that matters.
That is a 100% true.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The characters in Kimagure Orange Road, look a lot like the ones from Ranma.

More precisely, the characters look a lot like the ones in other Rumiko Takahashi adaptations like Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura that also had character design by Akemi Takada, who did a lot of designs for classic '80s anime, including a fair number of the Takahashi works that Kitty Films had Studio Pierrot and Studio Deen do the animation work, as well as some other Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Pierrot works. However, she did not do Ranma 1/2, despite it generally falling in that category.
Oh yeah, do you know Brent Newhall? He was steaming one day, and I got there after it started.And my first question was, is that Maison Ikkoku?, because it looked so similar.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Considering most companies will put 9 HD episodes with no dub (or 12, like Sentai's one-disc BD sets).on a BD-50, that'd mean KOR TV would be either 4 discs of 12, or possibly 5 discs of 9 each and one BD-25 for the other 3 episodes... I hope I am wrong, but I think we're looking at SD on BD here, perhaps...

Likely to buy the sets either way (have it all on AnimEigo's DVDs already), but a 4-6 disc set will probably be expensive, which is saying something for Discotek...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am blind buying Kimagure Orange Road, and I might also buy Galaxy Express 999. Thank you Discotek for keeping licensing all these classics, and on BD.

Same, and probably Area 88 too. I was at the panel and I think they won Otakon for this year.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
I hope I am wrong, but I think we're looking at SD on BD here, perhaps...

The trailer says remastered, which would indicate HD material on BD.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Those are some really good titles being released.I am looking forward to many of these titles including KOR and Galaxy express.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am blind buying Kimagure Orange Road, and I might also buy Galaxy Express 999. Thank you Discotek for keeping licensing all these classics, and on BD.

Kimagure orange road is a rom-com that is a bit bittersweet.If you like that i highly recommend it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid was one of the better Lupin III specials in recent memory so I'm glad that's getting dubbed.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a properly subbed Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo release! Such a long wait for that...
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Juspion? Take my money, please.

Another year where Discotek comes to Otakon and asks attendees to hold their beer.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is an upscale, but not the same upscale that was released in Japan. Discotek said that its version "preserves more detail and film grain."

Can anyone explain what this means? Was the Japanese Galaxy Express 999 remaster bad or something?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused about the AREA 88 release. I rented some of the Central Park version back in the day and own the 2006 dubbed OVA Collection from ADV.

1.) What is the difference with the theatrical cuts? Are there many new scenes?

2.) I read somewhere that the ADV 2006 release is missing Act II (the second OVA), but I seem to remember its events being covered in that set. Though, indeed, when I look at the set, it lists the second disc as Burning Mirage and the first disc as just Area 88. Did they combine OVA 1 and 2 together or something?

Regardless, Area 88 is must-see anime. Great story, characters, and animation. An often underappreciated classic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6