• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon's Attendance Rises by More Than 4,000 in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ManaKnight wrote:
a big reason for lighter content on guest/dealers room was due to having the attendance drop last year on move. Coming up short on attendance last year led to a low budget to get in guests this year (last year was massive for guests) and also why they no longer utilized the Marriott hotel to cut the budget down. Otakon not being the biggest East Coast con is why Crunchy and other anime industry from last year bailed out (plus AnimeNYC is help promoting them which is more appealing to them).

They still had Funimation, Sentai, Discotek, Aniplex of America, HIDIVE and other companies in the industry, though CR’s absence was notable. Then again, they do have their own convention in less than 3 weeks, so perhaps they wanted to save any big announcements for then, especially since it isn’t that convention’s first year.
sargonarhes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Otakon has to fudge their numbers because they're still way short of where they used to be when they were in Baltimore. I know when in Baltimore at their high point they were drawing a crowd of 28,000 to 32,000 people to Otakon with 34,000 at their highest. They moved to bigger facilities thinking the crowd would grow and so far it just isn't happening. They moved to a city that has a reputation for having the worst traffic in the nation.
Hell, it stopped me from going, and I was there at Otakon '98 just south of DC. That was traffic I never want to see or drive through again.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Ironically I could not go this year. Sad Next year for sure!!

invalidname wrote:
This was my first Otakon, and man that new convention center is nice (and crazy huge). I guess I dodged a bullet never having to deal with the legendary crunch in Baltimore.

HA You should have seen how much FUN it is when some douche pulls the fire alarm. Rolling Eyes
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
sargonarhes wrote:
Otakon has to fudge their numbers because they're still way short of where they used to be when they were in Baltimore. I know when in Baltimore at their high point they were drawing a crowd of 28,000 to 32,000 people to Otakon with 34,000 at their highest. They moved to bigger facilities thinking the crowd would grow and so far it just isn't happening. They moved to a city that has a reputation for having the worst traffic in the nation.
Hell, it stopped me from going, and I was there at Otakon '98 just south of DC. That was traffic I never want to see or drive through again.

Maybe you should come visit DC sometime again, because traffic on the weekends is actually pretty easy in the city(I guess that's a perk of having tons of government jobs). Plus there are multiple good public transportation options that get you pretty close to the convention center. I park at a metro station(conveniently free on weekends) and take the train in for Otakon. Everything you'll need is within walking distance, and metro is still significantly cheaper than parking anywhere around the convention center(It cost me $11.10 for all of the transportation I needed the entire weekend).
Honestly, the traffic in Baltimore every time I've gone has been much worse than the traffic in DC around the convention area. Much more of a bottleneck down by the pier area there, and the public transportation in Baltimore is pretty terrible.
I'm not sure why you would think they are fudging the numbers, or, assuming they aren't fudging their numbers, why they wouldn't be happy with the fact that they are already pulling close to their peak numbers at Baltimore just in their second year in DC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2