• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Determines Whether An Older Show Should Be Released as SD-BD?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The only BD player in my home is in the family room (and we've had it for less than a year); my own computer only has a DVD player. So I'm a little sad to see the waning of the DVD, though I was still willing to buy the BD collection of The Big O.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
SD-BDs are awesome if you're weird like me and still keep a CRT around, just put them into a PS3 hooked up to one and you got a 1/3 of Fist of the North Star or both Eat-Man shows on one disc without any upscaling.

The whole Ideon situation is pretty disappointing though, the show has an absolutely gorgeous BD remaster in Japan. I'm going to give Maiden Japan the benefit of the doubt and assume they just don't have access to the HD materials, but I hope this doesn't become the norm for niche series that DO have good HD masters (a trash upscale from Japan being passed up in favor of an SD-BD release is fine by me).
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
I love the space saving that SD on BD brings. It's too bad that many older live action TV series haven't gotten this treatment. I wouldn't mind buying a few series that would never see an HD remaster on a few BDs instead of 20+ DVDs

Quote:
SD-BD has its disadvantages too. They're very difficult to produce, with as many moving parts as 8 or more regular discs.

Would you be able to go in to more detail on this? I'm curious why a higher episode count would make it harder to produce. Do additional titles/chapters cause issues with authoring? Or is it the SD formatting of the content itself? Or something else?

Quote:
(Some of my early SD-BDs had compatibility issues with Playstation 4s, but once I upgraded my authoring software that wasn't a problem anymore.)

Were these released? Or did you find out during production?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
so it's likely a case of the Japanese companies being stingy & not giving Maiden Japan & Hidive HD masters. I'm still going to buy Ideon regardless, but this is an odd situation, nonetheless.

Another strike against Sunrise and believable since Shawne had said similar things about getting the right masters from them for Gundam titles.

Covnam wrote:
Quote:
(Some of my early SD-BDs had compatibility issues with Playstation 4s, but once I upgraded my authoring software that wasn't a problem anymore.)

Were these released? Or did you find out during production?

Samurai Pizza Cats, Wizard of Oz & Fist of the North Star are the discs in question.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Samurai Pizza Cats, Wizard of Oz & Fist of the North Star are the discs in question.

Good to know, thanks! I use my PS4 to watch BDs sometimes, so if I pick up FotNS, I'll be sure to use something else Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
But what really P*sses me off is stuff like Ideon getting an SD-BD. It does have a Japanese Blu-ray, which is really nice looking- Bandai Visual spares no expense on their restorations and encoding. I would rather have a compressed BD with 13 episodes per disc (for a total of 3 discs, 4/5 if you count the films) than SD-BD here because it was HD Native to begin with.

Damn, had no idea, yeah that really sucks we're not getting a real BD for it when there is one.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind SD-BD for shows that won't benefit from even an inhouse upscale well.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:
However, I'm sorry to say that for the DVD hold-outs, the war has already been lost.

Surely the final battle won't conclude until there is a way to overcome regional restrictions that is as effective on BD as it is on DVD. The industry itself has been outright unsporting to this end.

Well that battle has thankfully been "won" with 4K UltraHD. Unfortunately, the likelihood of the format being used by anime in the US any day soon is nil.
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
But what really P*sses me off is stuff like Ideon getting an SD-BD. It does have a Japanese Blu-ray, which is really nice looking- Bandai Visual spares no expense on their restorations and encoding. I would rather have a compressed BD with 13 episodes per disc (for a total of 3 discs, 4/5 if you count the films) than SD-BD here because it was HD Native to begin with.

Yes, the announced Ideon release is a particularly annoying example when we know HD masters exist and have been released on Blu-ray in Japan. Physical media is a niche market now, so it's still surprising unpopular choices like this are made that will potentially drive away some of that market who are particular about video quality.

Lord Geo wrote:
Ideon is odd, though, because there is an HD-BD release in Japan, but apparently Hidive's streams are also SD, so it's likely a case of the Japanese companies being stingy & not giving Maiden Japan & Hidive HD masters.

Shades of the "blue tint" Layzner and (Giant Gorg?) masters from Sunrise that were reported back in the day.

Justin wrote:
Some of my early SD-BDs had compatibility issues with Playstation 4s, but once I upgraded my authoring software that wasn't a problem anymore.

I recall hearing about this for Fist of the North Star TV. Has there been a revised pressing, and if so, is there a way to tell which version one has? (Other than buying and testing them in a Playstation 4, of course)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
I can see it now.
Detective Conan on SD-BD.
100 episodes per set.

Your move, Discotek. Cool

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Although 24 hours storage would be more like 50 and maybe a couple more episodes per disc, I'd take it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Shades of the "blue tint" Layzner and (Giant Gorg?) masters from Sunrise that were reported back in the day.

Ah, the "Sunrise Classic Action" line from Bandai that never took off...

Yeah, Giant Gorg was one of them and I believe there was another show plus IIRC, one of their Gundam releases had a blue tint present as well.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
It seems they already are for a few upcoming releases. I have Zillion and A Sister's All You Need both as BluRay + Digital only in my pre-orders, thought that coudl change. And I have some other Funi preorders that clearly will include a DVD still.

I've got Zillion on pre-order too. Can't wait to see the new remaster and be able to see the rest of it. I only managed to get the "movie" back during the VHS days. Would have loved it if they could have included that with the old dub as a bonus feature for nostalgia purposes.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
SD-BDs are awesome if you're weird like me and still keep a CRT around, just put them into a PS3 hooked up to one and you got a 1/3 of Fist of the North Star or both Eat-Man shows on one disc without any upscaling.

I'm hoping the Reborn SD-BDs look good Smile

Looking forward to checking out the Law of Ueki set when it gets here.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
The whole Ideon situation is pretty disappointing though, the show has an absolutely gorgeous BD remaster in Japan. I'm going to give Maiden Japan the benefit of the doubt and assume they just don't have access to the HD materials, but I hope this doesn't become the norm for niche series that DO have good HD masters (a trash upscale from Japan being passed up in favor of an SD-BD release is fine by me).

Yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2