• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Laid-Back Camp Anime Gets Film, New Short Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

It's odd that this show caught on in the U.S. while "Encouragement of Climb," which has a very similar concept, did not. Maybe the awkwardly localized title was the problem.
I think it was more likely because Encouragement of Climb was a short series and Laid Back Camp is full length and anime shorts still haven't really caught on in the US fandom. It also doesn't help that Crunchyroll no longer has the rights to the second season for some reason.
myfairx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I really dig Yurucamp a lot. I even considering it to be top anime in my very short list personal favorites (FLCL, Azumanga, Hale Guu).

A friend send me a short transcript from a French website about the announcement and now it's been confirmed here. Can't wait for more laid back shenanigans of the lovely young ladies..

Now since we're discussing it, this is my 2 cent..

I and my friend just debating it a few days ago about the whole CGDCT issue and I wholeheartedly loathed the idea of calling Yurucamp a CGDCT anime. I prefer to refer it as slice of life at its best. And would not tolerate (at least in my presence) someone mention yurucamp in the same sentence as Gochumon (for instance)

I also been doing a lot of (useless) thinking on how exactly to differentiate the whole subgenre. So I come up with idea for a simple litmus test. Now let's take a few anime, for instance; Gochumon, Kinmoza, Non Non Biyori, Azumanga, K-on, Yurucamp.

What if we substitute the characters of the mentioned anime and replace it with something else. Let's say reverse gender or raised the age considerably (being boys they can't be cute girls, raised the age neither can they be girls anymore). Will they still represent the same core idea as the original? In this case can they still considered CGDCT / Slice of life afterwards?

So we come into mutual conclusion that;
1. Gochumon and Kinmoza wil not going to work if we substitute the characters with guys / older characters (obviously) nor can they survive as a slice of life.

2. K-on and Yurucamp will not work as CGDCT obviously but perfectly alright as slice. I can still enjoy guys making a band or bunch of OL going camping together. In facts it perfectly normal. It's just a slice of life.

3. Azumanga and Non Non blends between the two. I still have much to think about this. Story can still works but the premise might change.

Therefore in our opinion, show like Kinmoza and Gochumon are strictly CGDCT. K-on and Yurucamp are better labeled as slice and Azumanga / non non can be considered bit of both.

Well this is jut my own selfish theory. I welcome someone to counter or improve upon this.

But I sincerely hope more people will take this matter with a pause and reconsider easily lumping slice of life with CGDCT together. Not that I'm against CGDCT. I honestly belive CGDCT gave a clearer picture than simply "moe" when depicting a certain subgenre just a few years ago..

IMHO
HomuraNagato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
CGDCT shows like K-On and Gochiusa are some of my favorite. I would watch yurucamp on a Sunday morning with a yummy bowl of iatmeal wrapped in a quilted blanket after a hard run. It made me feel a little bit closer to the characters environment. Quite excited for another season and movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2