• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - 'Twas the Night After Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

And think about this analogy: When I want a Coca-Cola, I don't want Safeway Go2 Cola.

I get what you're saying - you want the real thing, and value personal touch, and aren't satisfied with cheap, mass-produced, uninspired imitations.

You might want to tweak your analogy a bit, though, since Coca-Cola is a huge, mass-producing company. They just happen be the original. How about, "when I want authentic Mexican food, I go to a mom-and-pop place, not Taco Bell"?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree that most of Tokyopop's original english manga isn't very good, but Fool's Gold is excellent. The art is sharp, original and expressive, and the plot's very good.

It really comes down to whether the artist has developed their own unique style or if they're still copying other manga artists, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I think that saying all TP OEL/OGM work is bad is like saying all shonen manga are bad. There are a lot of them, so there is a broad range. Dramacon, Sorcerers and Secretaries, Steady Beat, The Dreaming, and Fool's Gold are all very good, while Bizenghast, Mark of the Succubus, and some others that I haven't read aren't really good, but the artist/writer shows potential to become better. For some of them, this is their first comic. It's especially hard when you are part of a new movement in comics that is causing some controversy. I don't agree with everything TP does, but I respect them because they are giving new artists who draw in a manga-influenced style a chance to be seen, whether the comic is good or not.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
The problem of the label "manga" aside, my problem with "Best New Manga" is the title. I mean.. come on, now. Isn't this a bit pretentious? Everyone's free to have their own ideas about what manga is and what it is not, but this title kind of implies that "new manga" = "non-Japanese" which is ridiculous. (By the way, who is this Ilya person?)

According to the front flap, Ilya has been a comic pro since 1987 and been "published by Marvel, DC and Dark Horse in the USA, Kodansha in Japan and by numerous independent companies worldwide." Followed by a list of titles I've never heard of. Confused

There are many worlds of comics, most of which I'm ignorant of (like, FRANCE!) so I'm gonna give Ilya the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe he gets around in genres and publisher brackets that I don't follow regularly.

But I do agree that claiming to be the "Best New ANYTHING!" is more braggadocio than any person in the creative arts should be trotting out.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

And think about this analogy: When I want a Coca-Cola, I don't want Safeway Go2 Cola.

I get what you're saying - you want the real thing, and value personal touch, and aren't satisfied with cheap, mass-produced, uninspired imitations.

You might want to tweak your analogy a bit, though, since Coca-Cola is a huge, mass-producing company. They just happen be the original. How about, "when I want authentic Mexican food, I go to a mom-and-pop place, not Taco Bell"?

Howabout you try thinking of "Manga" as a brand name. You become loyal to the brand name and won't accept nothing less. Your used to the brand name because it has a distinctive property that makes you want to use it time and again.

Now let's say the competition decides to produce their own version of "Manga." Aside form the obvious Trademark laws and such, their product isn't the same as "Manga" even thought they try to dress it up as close as possible to it. But it's still not "Manga."

--------------------------------

And I managed to get a glimpse of the book....

......and I seriously wanted to throw it into the nearest trashcan. HOW DARE the publishers of the book claim their the Best. Many of the chapters in the book weren't even Manga in spirit!! All I saw were rip-offs of American Pulp Comics, Pokemon/Digimon type stuff, and stuff from Beginner Artist Books!!

The publishers should be sued for false and misleading advertising.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
"Mammoth Book of Best New X" is the standard designator the publisher gives anthologies of new material (as distinct from "Mammoth Book of X," which is generally previously published). There are also Mammoth Books of Best New SF (19 volumes so far), Horror (at least 16), Erotica, and Sudoku. In other words, don't put much weight on or waste much effort trying to disprove the terms "best" and "new."
Deep Blue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
i don't think it's wise to give "A","B","c" to rate mangas like that. You read the manga, you pointed out the pros and the cons, but wtf? are they really the pros, are they really the cons? TO me, i prefer many of the cons of these manga. Andseriously, did you guys forget that each person has their own taste when it comes to something like hobby? ABC won't say anything about a manga's greatness. OMG! He even dare to rated my AMG! C. It's you who's C, not the manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
Deep Blue wrote:
i don't think it's wise to give "A","B","c" to rate mangas like that. You read the manga, you pointed out the pros and the cons, but wtf? are they really the pros, are they really the cons? TO me, i prefer many of the cons of these manga. Andseriously, did you guys forget that each person has their own taste when it comes to something like hobby? ABC won't say anything about a manga's greatness. OMG! He even dare to rated my AMG! C. It's you who's C, not the manga

It represent how the reviewer thinks if the manga. He presents the reasons he disliked it, and the reasons he liked it, so it's not like he's giving a blind rating. I've disagreed with some of his review before, but I always understand what he's saying, because he lists out the pros and cons.

I think you're just a little upset that AMG got a C. It's a good manga, but it gets better later.
HinataHyuga444

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
now i know when the next XXXHolic is coming ya Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:

It represent how the reviewer thinks if the manga. He presents the reasons he disliked it, and the reasons he liked it, so it's not like he's giving a blind rating. I've disagreed with some of his review before, but I always understand what he's saying, because he lists out the pros and cons.

I think you're just a little upset that AMG got a C. It's a good manga, but it gets better later.
Agreed. I love AMG just as much, but the drawing style of earlier volumes is just not as good as the art work after volume 7. spoiler[I found the bug eyed expressions of Keichi just too irritating, and the eyes of the girls were far too beagle like, for my liking too. ] A definate C.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2