• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maquia DVDs Incorrectly List Japanese Language Track

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shout! Factory said the DVD does not support the inclusion of both versions, so it is English dub-only.

Not sure if actively lying, or merely lazy. They could've included a second DVD with the Japanese version. Or they could've done dual-sided DVDs with the English version on one side, and the Japanese version on the other. That's what the Sherlock Hound DVDs did when the Japanese and English versions didn't synch up properly. That's what Hollywood did to put fullscreen and widescreen versions of the same movie on one disc in the early 2000s. It's also what a British Pride and Prejudice miniseries did to fit 5 ~50-minute episodes on one disc.

Maybe Nozomi's LE version will be expensive enough to cancel out the savings of reverse importing, and we won't have to contend with hardsubs or other damaging restrictions. Kind of like how Aniplex USA's discs don't necessarily have locked subtitles, unlike the cheaper releases from Funimation/Sentai et al.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Unlike Blu-Ray, Japan and America have different region codes for the DVD format thus there wouldn't be a concern for reverse importing compared to Blu-Ray.
There was anti-reverse-importation concern before Blu-Ray, as well. Region-free DVD players are/were a thing, and some PC DVD player software was able to ignore or circumvent region coding. Some 2000s DVD releases saw North America getting markedly worse masters than the R2J discs, possibly as a means of sabotaging the overseas versions to discourage reverse importation. A number of those, like Girls Bravo, Scrapped Princess, and Melody of Oblivion, came from the notorious anti-reverse-imporation crusaders at Kadokawa.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Reeeally getting tired of absurd reverse-importation paranoia messing with overseas releases. Maybe try getting your own house in order instead of taking it out on us, Japan.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
They should have trolled the licensor and released both language versions on DVD, just without subtitles. Very Happy
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mattman243 wrote:
Must have subtitles hard coded? What kind of requirement is that?!? Did we go back to VHS?

I wonder. Some licensors require that, if you choose subtitled option, you cannot disable subs in any way... which can be done on DVDs pretty easily just by locking up the option. I wonder if Shout! tried to present that as an option.

BreathoftheWater wrote:
Meh... Who cares? Nobody buys DVDs anymore.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
But really, companies should just stop releasing DVD. It's 2019. Blu-ray players are $20. Everyone has one and there's no legit reason for people to complain about blu-ray-only releases. Save money and release everything ONLY on blu-ray.

This is so wrong on many levels, really.

No, not everyone has BluRay players. If anything, people are moving away from physical discs to streaming (or pirated content). Disc releases are a niche already, and BluRays are, globally, a niche within a niche. Sales of BDs are falling faster than DVDs.

Not to mention it's much more expensive to author and release a BluRay - the process is more complicated, requires different technology and there are pretty big license fees attached to BluRay pressing. Which is why smaller releases rely on professionally copied BD-Rs which can be produced cheaper and in smaller amounts.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Shout! Factory said the DVD does not support the inclusion of both versions, so it is English dub-only.

Not sure if actively lying, or merely lazy. They could've included a second DVD with the Japanese version. Or they could've done dual-sided DVDs with the English version on one side, and the Japanese version on the other.

Agreed. I'm actually not 100% certain what they think they mean or are trying to convey anyway.

To cover a couple more possible ways they're lying or lazy:

If they're trying to refer to space, it's just a movie. You can fit the length of 2 movies on a standard DVD-9 with no appreciable A/V quality concerns.

If they're trying to refer to the actual subtitles, you can lock subtitles on a DVD. Sentai and Funimation are actively doing so more frequently, in addition to their Blu-ray releases.

If they're trying to refer to not being able to lock some subtitles and not others on a DVD (i.e. soft subs for the song+sign track for the English version, and hard subs for the Japanese version), you can do that too. Bandai Entertainment's DVD release of the Love Hina Christmas special for some bizarre reason had this exact situation; you could actively toggle the subs off, but some would still remain regardless.

I feel like they screwed up and are hoping they can handwave it away with an explanation that people will accept without questioning, or because it sounds just technical enough to be legit. Plot twist: it's having the opposite effect and drawing more attention.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Reeeally getting tired of absurd reverse-importation paranoia messing with overseas releases. Maybe try getting your own house in order instead of taking it out on us, Japan.

Yeah, like Mattman243 said too, it's such a ridiculous requirement from the Japanese side in this day and age. Feels like they think we are still back in the VHS days when they do this kind of locked subs or hard-coded subs requirement. Especially since it's just because their Japanese domestic releases are so expensive.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That requirement is really stupid, and at the expense of the original language, too! Man, I sure am glad I wound up buying the Blu-Ray version, though I am gonna get the Deluxe Edition come May. Eh, I like this movie, so I'll still support Eleven Arts either way.

Quote:
his is so wrong on many levels, really.

No, not everyone has BluRay players. If anything, people are moving away from physical discs to streaming (or pirated content). Disc releases are a niche already, and BluRays are, globally, a niche within a niche. Sales of BDs are falling faster than DVDs.

While I don't know much about disc releases impacting the industry in general nowadays, I still buy a lot of physical copies of shows and movies, mostly because I want to have them for myself and maybe share them with my friends and family or future children. I only got a Blu-Ray player last year on my birthday and am still getting used to it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure if actively lying, or merely lazy. They could've included a second DVD with the Japanese version. Or they could've done dual-sided DVDs with the English version on one side, and the Japanese version on the other. That's what the Sherlock Hound DVDs did when the Japanese and English versions didn't synch up properly. That's what Hollywood did to put fullscreen and widescreen versions of the same movie on one disc in the early 2000s. It's also what a British Pride and Prejudice miniseries did to fit 5 ~50-minute episodes on one disc.

I thought Dual layer and dual sided were interchangeable and that Dual sided was the outmoded version once manufacturers got the hang of the tech.

Regular DVD: 4 GBs.
Dual- regardless I believe: 8 GBs.

Either way, this is not what the Japanese side wanted; they wanted encoded subs on the image to make the product the undesirable one for Japanese importers, regardless if its BD or DVD. This has been an unfortunate fact I've learned myself with many sub only DVDs being sold these that are in fact hard coded... though it'd be nice if they were labeled as such.

The physical market is just THAT bad these days....

They could have just locked in the subtitles in but that's not what the Japanese producers wanted, they wanted the image itself to be ruined.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DVD-9 is an option, but distributors these days like to crank up the bitrate of both video and audio to the maximum, so two versions might not fit on one disc.

Still, producing two-disc DVD release is still much cheaper than one BD.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So no subtitle for hearing impaired for the dub-only DVD and locked in the BD. Once again, hard of hearing and deaf fans are left out.

And before people once again start saying "just watch it in Japanese", I should have a say in how I watch my anime and I perfer english dub eith caption or subtitles on. Wanted to see this, but I guess Im passing.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Seems...counterproductive? Japan and the US don't share a DVD region, but they do share a Blu-ray region.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Either way, this is not what the Japanese side wanted; they wanted encoded subs on the image to make the product the undesirable one for Japanese importers, regardless if its BD or DVD.

Actually, the hard-coded onto the image likely only applies to the DVD here and the BD only has 'locked' subs, based on the encoding details of a recent rip of the US BD release of Maquia mentioned here. With right software, 'locked' subs are no problem, stand-alone players aside.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Mattman243 wrote:
Must have subtitles hard coded? What kind of requirement is that?!? Did we go back to VHS?

I wonder. Some licensors require that, if you choose subtitled option, you cannot disable subs in any way... which can be done on DVDs pretty easily just by locking up the option. I wonder if Shout! tried to present that as an option.

Probably did, and the licensor remained stubborn on the "hard coded on the video track" side. And depending on how high they wanted the bit rate, squeezing the second video track onto the dvd might have killed the quality.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Actually, the hard-coded onto the image likely only applies to the DVD here and the BD only has 'locked' subs, based on the encoding details of a recent rip of the US BD release of Maquia mentioned here. With right software, 'locked' subs are no problem, stand-alone players aside.

Nope. Then Japanese version on the disc has subs that are hard-encoded into the video. No way to remove them and no subtitle track at all. There is a PGS sub track on the English version, but that's the track for the hearing impaired, so it is of course a "dubtitle" of the English dub and includes sound effects. This is a marvelously screwed up release.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Nope. Then Japanese version on the disc has subs that are hard-encoded into the video. No way to remove them and no subtitle track at all.

They might have actually gone so far as to "burn" them into the video, instead of just locking the subtitle option and not putting it in the menu; not sure if there's an easy way to tell without ripping the disc. Though, once you do that, all you have to do is play the English video with the Japanese audio, and no more subtitles.

So... I'm not sure what they thought re-compressing the video was going to accomplish. The group of people who reverse-import anime but don't know how to rip a blu-ray must be pretty small. Maybe they were hoping the Japanese track would be removed from both versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3