• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pop Team Epic Season One Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I think Funimation missed a chance for a great meta joke by not packaging this as Hoshiiro Girl Drop. I mean, I think I get WHY they didn't; but c'mon, that would have been hilarious.

A reversible cover would have been brilliant.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
I watched this on Crunchyroll and I happily bought the Blu-Rays, though I haven't felt the need to go through [i]all[/i] of it a second time yet. While I think it's funny [i]some[/i] of the time, it is quite possibly the most ambitious thing I've seen this side of Hideaki Anno, with Hellshake Yano being their crowning achievement. I love dubs but I can't imagine that segment dubbed; I feel like it would play out so much better if they left that subtitled even in the English-language track.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
I think the best part of Pop Team Epic was the animation for Hoshiiro Girldrop.

This show wasn't for me, maybe if it was one thing, I would have liked it more. But it's segmented nature and the complete repeat in the second half of each episode just turned me off.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ Speaking of, this review is way too normal. How is it not in Spanish, backwards and repeating itself every three paragraphs, Bucket???? You've made a review when you could've made art

The Canipa Effect did a review/analysis of the show's animation, that was half in French and subtly different between parts in actual information. It was terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9WxJ8y9sls

Last edited by Gurren Rodan on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to lie to you. "Pop Team Epic" is weird. How weird? It's quite possibly one of the strangest shows I've ever seen. And,that's one of it's charms. It's so bizarre and strange,you want to tune in just to see what insane thing the creators have dreamed up for the next episode. I would say that it's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in my life but I have a feeling that someone in Japan will think of something stranger. I just hope it comes out on DVD soon. I don't think my DVD player will be able to play Blu-Rays.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue May 28, 2019 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I think Funimation missed a chance for a great meta joke by not packaging this as Hoshiiro Girl Drop. I mean, I think I get WHY they didn't; but c'mon, that would have been hilarious.

A reversible cover would have been brilliant.

Can anybody check if the Blu-rays were actually just Discs burned using Nero with "Pop Team Epic" written with a pentel-pen? Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I just hope it comes out on DVD soon. I don't think my DVD player will be able to play Blu-Rays.
I wouldn't count on that ever happening. Companies have been phasing out DVDs, and while Funimation hasn't made an official announcement afaik, it looks like they're following suit.

If you can afford Blu-Rays, you can afford a Blu-Ray player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2