• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - One Punch Man Ain't What He Used to Be

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It has always been my understanding that "filler" means the episode(s) does not develop the overall story in any meaningful way. In anime adaptations of manga or novels, anime original episodes are usually filler because the writters don't want the new material clashing with the material they are adapting. So the only way to avoid potential inconsistencies is to make the anime original episodes self contained.

Imo, anime original episodes can contribute to the overall story and therefore not be considered filler and on the flip side it is possible for source material to have filler. I don't think something should automatically be called filler just because it wasn't in the original source material.
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
lossthief wrote:

So just to clear up this misconception: Yusuke Murata's One-Punch Man manga is not the original source material. While it's what the anime has emulated, the actual original is ONE's original webcomic, which went on hiatus for a considerable amount of time a few years after it started getting attention online.

But ONE is still writing the "remake" while Murata is the illustrator, so how is it less canon than the webcomics?

Was about to say this... it's all canon. ONE wanted to flesh things out more with the manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Filler or not, it's just one of many instances where manga-original material shot the webcomic's stellar pacing to hell.
Stiles

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
What does it matter what is and isn't filler when your main character is a deus ex machina?

By my estimation, this franchise can only improve by scrapping Saitama.
God of Jurai

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
ChaosTheory wrote:
Merida wrote:
lossthief wrote:

So just to clear up this misconception: Yusuke Murata's One-Punch Man manga is not the original source material. While it's what the anime has emulated, the actual original is ONE's original webcomic, which went on hiatus for a considerable amount of time a few years after it started getting attention online.

But ONE is still writing the "remake" while Murata is the illustrator, so how is it less canon than the webcomics?

Was about to say this... it's all canon. ONE wanted to flesh things out more with the manga.

THIS exactly was my point... ONE is credited as the writer, its Canon... Murata is doing the flashy art because ONE doesn't draw flashy... I appreciate Murata and ONE's work a little more then the original because it fleshes out a lot more of the characters...
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
When talking about the manga, technically it is filler, since it wasn't in the original webcomic. But given ONE does everything but draw the chapter, it is canon. So it's canon filler.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Some of y'all have some weird definitions of what is and isn't filler. It's kind of aggravating.

Anyway, OPM S2 is a disappointment and I have no interest in watching more of it. I'll just stick with the manga.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
If you're posting just to pointlessly and childishly complain that the reviewers suck/don't know what they're doing because they don't agree with your personal opinions then just save your breath and move on. Seriously, people can have different views without being insulted.
your fly is down

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'll be as honest as I can be
The animation is a big disappointment but I have seen anime with worse animation and enjoyed them besides the fact.
I first saw OPM on the insistence of my friends and I personally avoided it because I thought of it as just another action series with really good animation. You cannot get me to watch an anime that is just good animation and nothing else.
Then I saw the first season and I laughed my literal ass off. Every episode made my insides hurt with laughter and I had a good time with all the jokes interspersed with moments of drip dead gorgeous animation.
This season I have seen up to the latest episode with the end of the tournament arc and I have dropped the show for good now mainly because up till how I haven't so much as giggled at a joke with only a smirk or two at the king being an otaku joke.
The is no quality comedy anymore and the only joke is saitamas one punch. Other that that the pace is so break neck but the progress is so slow I'm suffering from shellshock. Heroes are introduced in droves and fights end in seconds with literally no actual story progress. We have been at this monster invasion for like 4 episodes and it has amounted to nothing more than calling out all the heroes. Something that should be done at the end of a season.
We haven't seen garo for 2 straight episodes and he still hasn't been explained as an antagonist to the point that I can see anything happening with him other than a one punch fight. That's probably the seasons last joke maybe.
All in all I'm not so obsessed with the animation. What I hate is the writing. This is not OPM like I remember it, its discount world trigger or some baki offshoot.
If you dont care about that and enjoy a basic action series and still manage to laugh at times than good for you but even ignoring the animation nothing from season one that mad either good Carrie's over to season 2.
OPM will never be a hit again because it's been shanked in a dark alleyway. Then again might as well just read the manga.
Overall97629661

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
I must remind people that ONE created this story as a web comic when he was bored, the pretense of history that he has now denotes that he himself got bored of the initial premise so I try to create a more serious story, but the existence of saitama It was his biggest obstacle because it is impossible to take anything seriously because of his omnipotence, that's why he created MOB where it really shows where he mature as a writer and told a more traditional story, but better elaborated where the protagonist if he has rivals at his same level. not is the animation the problem this season is that he suffers from the transition of focus, how the author began to change his way of telling stories.
eekin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
Overall97629661 wrote:
I must remind people that ONE created this story as a web comic when he was bored, the pretense of history that he has now denotes that he himself got bored of the initial premise so I try to create a more serious story, but the existence of saitama It was his biggest obstacle because it is impossible to take anything seriously because of his omnipotence, that's why he created MOB where it really shows where he mature as a writer and told a more traditional story, but better elaborated where the protagonist if he has rivals at his same level. not is the animation the problem this season is that he suffers from the transition of focus, how the author began to change his way of telling stories.

I like both series, but Mob Psycho 100 is so much better than OPM. I've recommended it to people who really liked OPM, but they can't get past the art or they don't get into the motion. Which is weird to me because OPM also has messages and drama, but I guess it gets overshadowed by the "punchline" that is Saitama. Not to mention MOB's animation continues to impress whereas OPM season 2 is disappointing.
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
One Punch Man isn't a fighting story, it's not even really a superhero story at heart. It's a black commentary on heroes and monsters with Saitama as the 'hero for fun' and disinterested observer who punctures the inflated pretensions of heroes and monsters alike, while actually worrying about real-people real-world stuff such as limited-time sales at the supermarket and earning a living. The problem is that kind of story doesn't work at length hence the Tournament arc (always a sign the writers are running out of ideas) and the immense number of monsters and heroes appearing on stage recently in the anime and manga too.

The over-wrought DBZ-like posturing and power-ups of the other heroes and monsters are boring, the endless bloviating and long-winded explanations tedious. It's when Saitama takes down a self-indulgent monster with a few laconic words is when the story actually makes a point. The Punch that ends the monster afterwards is an afterthought.
icelava

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
Yeap my exact problem with the second season - way too many simultaneous story lines occurring in inter-disrupting patterns. The momentum, or, the lack of it.
eekin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
It has always been my understanding that "filler" means the episode(s) does not develop the overall story in any meaningful way. In anime adaptations of manga or novels, anime original episodes are usually filler because the writters don't want the new material clashing with the material they are adapting. So the only way to avoid potential inconsistencies is to make the anime original episodes self contained.

Imo, anime original episodes can contribute to the overall story and therefore not be considered filler and on the flip side it is possible for source material to have filler. I don't think something should automatically be called filler just because it wasn't in the original source material.

True. People juxtapose "non-canon" and "filler" but, in their defense most non-canon material is filler. I always think about the hot springs episode of Outlaw star as my litmus test for filler. If you skipped that episode you'd miss an episode that was 90% about characters in their bathing suits. But, then you'd be confused where Gene got his magic bullets in the final finale.
That's a canon episode that might as well be filler, but they slipped in some plot to make it non-filler.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
grimmydark wrote:
I just started reading the manga this month and reached the latest volume. The anime has NOT portrayed any filler content. Everything in S2 is canon. Guess I'll stop reading reviews from this website knowing that it's team/staff don't research their material first. Not only do you bring news late, you also give misinformation. You should be ashamed of yourselves as you are misleading people.

Actually you can have filler in anime even if it the filler is being shown in the part of the story that happened in the manga, the anime's for DragonBall for example had a huge amount of stuff that wasn't in the manga some of which was added to keep things from looking too basic or shallow key example pretty much everything involving Vegetto and Buu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3