• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Viz Media Partner for Home Video, Digital Distribution in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool. The titles exclusively streaming on Crunchyroll that I would definitely buy if Viz Media released them on home media in North America are:

- Mysterious Joker
- GeGeGe no Kitaro 2018
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This partnership makes sense because of the Warner connection. I hope Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Laid-Back Camp are released soon.

Those are pretty much the only things I would want to see come out of this deal. Also maybe Witch Craft Works, but that might be too old.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
That's pretty cool. The titles exclusively streaming on Crunchyroll that I would definitely buy if Viz Media released them on home media in North America are:

- Mysterious Joker
- GeGeGe no Kitaro 2018

Man, I'd buy Joker in two seconds flat if that ever got a home video release. I'm not holding my breath for it, though, not when the first season's been out for five years and still hasn't even cracked 10,000 users on MAL yet. That's not even "niche" territory, that's "virtually unknown."

The other streaming exclusives that I'd be right at the front of the line to buy are Encouragement of Climb and Saki. Again though I'm not holding my breath, especially when CR seemingly can't even be bothered to relicense season 2 of EoC (and previously allowed season 1 to lapse on two different occasions).
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Sentai seems to be cozing up to Netflix. They're responsible for the dub of 7Seeds and presumably the CG Saint Seiya. My guess is that this agreement will lead to them getting home video rights in the future.

They have been for a while, after all they release Knights of Sidonia and Ajin.

angelmcazares wrote:
This partnership makes sense because of the Warner connection. I hope Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Laid-Back Camp are released soon.

I thought Rakugo S1 was released digital-only by Funimation?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Whatever it takes to get Konosuba on my shelf! Very Happy

MegaMooseJam2008 wrote:
People talking about KonoSuba and Shield Hero, and I'm sitting here excited about finally having a chance to bring Gabriel DropOut home.

I'll be happy to add Gabriel DropOut too =)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool hope they will bring Symphogear over here
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that cool hope they will bring Symphogear over here

I'd second that. I'd love to have Symphogear get a physical release and a dub.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Viz can work with them to dub and release Shugo Chara! then!?
I mostly jest, but would love it if someone would work with CR to dub and put out the series on DVD/Blu-Ray, at least if they still have the license.

I'm curious about how this will work out, and hope it'll work out for both parties.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I just want someone to license and dub A Place Further Than The Universe already. It needs more love!
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll add another vote for Konosuba.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Honestly, I just want someone to license and dub A Place Further Than The Universe already. It needs more love!

Crunchyroll was on the productio committee for that show. To this day I dont understand why that show didn't get a simuldub during the funimation relationship. That along with laid back camp which was the same situation.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if this alliance would allow for the Eng. dub of Shippuden (at least the TV series) to be put on Crunchyroll.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
So I'm the only one thinking "Viz? Aren't they dead yet?"
They tried the modern anime release thing and they didn't have the backbone for it. To me, it's kind of weird that they're willing to be another one of CR's lackeys, here doing what they didn't have the stomach to do for themselves.

And CR continues to... degrade. Next time, they're going to have to prop up their own physical release company so they can burn that bridge too.

Quote:
Time Warner in June 2018, announced a reorganization of its divisions in March that is bringing many of its subsidiaries and brands — including Otter Media (Ellation, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, VRV), Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Boomerang — into a single "Global Kids & Young Adults"

Oh boy, I think that's the trouble Viz ran into... "what do you mean, anime isn't always for kids?!" I see nothing but good things in the foreseeable future. Yup, yup and I couldn't be happier.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I think so considering they aren't even close to dead and consistently release shows.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
While this is great news, I can't see the Crunchyroll titles that I most want in Bluray form (A Place Further Than the Universe, Planet With, and the third and fourth coeurs of Wixoss) being anywhere within Viz's wheelhouse... they all feel more like Sentai titles to me.

Animegomaniac wrote:

They're the second largest publisher of English-language graphic novels after Scholastic Books, with a bigger US market share than even Marvel or DC. They're not going anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3