• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks' GoFundMe Campaign for Kyoto Animation Surpasses US$2 Million, Kyoto Animatio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the correction which I specifically invited when I wrote that I hadn't seen official confirmation that it was true. None of the several articles I had read mentioned the door either way. I will now correct that rumor whenever I see it.

tojikomori wrote:
Please stop repeating it.

This reads as though you think I might continue doing so even after reading the rest of your post, as a sort of intentional misinformation smear campaign.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yup, my bad. I can see how that came across. I'm sorry. I'm angry that there's all this rumor and speculation essentially blaming the studio for these deaths, but you're not the appropriate recipient for that anger at all.

Speaking more broadly about this thread and the ongoing discussion I've seen in these forums:

It's really hurtful to cast this sort of speculation about. I can only imagine how devastated the Hattas and everyone at KyoAni is right now, and it's horribly unfair to point fingers at them and talk about what they should have done to prepare for an unthinkable attack. I hope, certainly, that there are things that can be learned from this and applied to other large buildings and offices, but there's no grounds to assume negligence on their parts and there's nothing to be gained from it.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
tojikomori wrote:

I hope, certainly, that there are things that can be learned from this and applied to other large buildings and offices, but there's no grounds to assume negligence on their parts and there's nothing to be gained from it.

Agreed. And just to be clear: I don't think anyone is blaming KyoAni for any of this. Fire safety is a serious thing, but that's why fire codes exist. That responsibility falls to the government who sets and enforces codes, not KyoAni. The articles I have read stated that KyoAni passed their fire code inspections. Thus if anyone wants to assign blame there--which I don't see anybody doing anyway--the target is the authorities, not KyoAni.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Also agreed, and thank you. That's an understandable reaction. Clearly I should have tried harder than I did to find the truth.

Regardless of whether they put out anything I like or not, I want KyoAni to continue because I know they take better care of their employees than most, perhaps all, other anime studios.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
"Sentai Filmworks (...) has not stated that it has assurance from Kyoto Animation that the company or its staff will accept the money."

Yesterday's statement to that effect from a lawyer representing KyoAni isn't good enough?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5179877#5179877

Thank you for pointing that out. I will say that ANN could not confirm that Twitter account actually belonged to the lawyer KyoAni has hired at the time this article was posted. But since now Sentai Filmworks has confirmed the Twitter account does indeed belong to the lawyer (through its update on the GoFundMe page), I have amended our article to take out that part of the sentence and to add in some information about Sentai Filmworks and Daisuke Okeda (the lawyer) getting in contact.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
This particular thread is not about fire codes, building integrity, or anything of that nature. So please stop rehashing the same arguments in every thread.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
Sentai has announced its plan for transferring the funds raised through its GoFundMe account to Kyoto Animation.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-kyoani-heal?viewupdates=1&rcid=r01-156634638147-dc3192b3176a4442

In stage one, $2 million of the $2.37 million collected will be transferred to an account managed by KyoAni.

Quote:
After the funds reach Kyoto Animation’s specified account, representatives of Kyoto Animation will distribute them to those in need according to their public pledge to do so. More specifically, Kyoto Animation has pledged that any funds received from this GoFundMe drive will go toward providing aid for 1) their lost co-workers, as well as their family and immediate relatives, and 2) their colleagues who remain hospitalized, as well as their family and immediate relatives. They have further committed as follows: “We consider transparency regarding these funds to be of top priority, and we will be reporting all income and expenditures. We are still in the process of determining the best way to report this information, but we will make an announcement once this has been finalized.”

The remaining funds will be transferred once all fees and other charges have been cleared.

There's no mention about how these funds will be treated under Japanese tax laws.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
The tax question was answered yesterday. Funds donated to KyoAni will be treated as "disaster relief" rather than ordinary income.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-22/sankei-japan-to-provide-tax-breaks-for-kyoto-animation-donations/.150298

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/08/21/japanese-government-offer-tax-relief-for-kyoto-animation-donations

Whether this means the funds will be free of tax or simply taxed at a lower rate is not clear from the stories posted so far. The current programs are intended to provide tax relief to Japanese citizens wishing to donate to areas hard-hit by natural disasters. "Hometown tax donation amounts, from which 2,000 yen is subtracted, are exempt from resident and income tax." Whether foreign donations will be similarly exempt has yet to be clarified.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180712/p2a/00m/0na/005000c

These programs have generated considerable controversy in Japan as municipalities have competed to attract donors by giving them valuable gifts in return. In September, "the ministry estimated that 13.8 percent of Japan’s 1,788 municipalities were offering gifts whose value exceeded 30 percent of donated amounts." I presume these issues won't apply to funds sent in support of KyoAni.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/12/07/business/abuse-norm-japans-hometown-tax-donation-system/
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Sentai announced today that they have transferred the remainder of the monies in its GoFundMe account to KyoAni.

Quote:

Dear Supporters and Followers,

We are pleased to announce that we will be transferring the remainder of the funds accrued by this campaign to Kyoto Animation and its representatives today, as described in our previous updates on August 20 and September 16, 2019. We will transfer the reserve using the same method as our initial transfer, and we will provide a final update to confirm Kyoto Animation’s receipt of the funds.

There is no combination of words that can completely describe the gratitude we feel toward everyone who contributed to this campaign. Whether you donated, shared or left a message in the spirit of love and kindness toward Kyoto Animation, your good intentions were felt, and the impact of your actions is far-reaching.

Thank you very much for your continued support of Kyoto Animation.

All told, Sentai raised nearly $2.4 million through this campaign.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2