• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Tomino Criticizes Shinkai Works For Lack of Sexual Intimacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Towards her crotch is kind of a creepy thing to say even with the whole quote in context.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

He's not talking about fanservice. He means that these romance titles always stop at hand holding or a kiss, they never show the relationship get to the point of sex. It's something I've seen fans criticize all the time, how shows will end when the leads start dating but never explores what happens beyond that.

I agree. The point is not fanservice or smut, the point is that the *plot* rarely advances beyond handholding or confessing much of the time.

I'm sure that broadcast restrictions and censorship issues are responsible for less graphic sex or nudity being shown compared to OVAs from past decades, but I don't think that Tomino is necessarily talking about graphic sex onscreen. That's only one small slice of the pie. Countless shows feature couples who are clearly enamored with each other yet the physical aspect of their relationship isn't even implied to have occurred offscreen--unless it's being played for laughs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
For anime as a whole, this is a problem I have with it (but I wouldn't word it so badly). However, KyoAni is NOT a good example to use when it's one of the few studios that had anime where the characters met, dated, married, and had a child together.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much anime is about teenagers, I think I'm okay with the story stopping right before the dude starts grabbing any crotch.

(I understand and appreciate his point if it's just regarding anime not showing what happens beyond when the couple get together but man he could've worded this better + not everyone in a relationship wants to have sex, much less within a minute of them becoming a couple)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I love you, Tomino, but you’re so weird!

I get what he’s trying to say, but his phrasing is just odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I would also like to add that the title is misleading. I’m sure Tomino knows all about the adult visual novels that KyoAni adapted, and isn’t actually being critical of their lack of sexual content.

Shinkai’s works are a whole different story. Tomino’s “why isn’t the boy going after the girl’s crotch” critique is appalling. God forbid there should be a heartfelt love story where sex isn’t explicitly shown. He’s a man after all, so you’d think he’d know that it’s a given we think about sex and it shouldn’t always have to be inferred. As mentioned, Shinkai’s love stories lean towards a female audience anyways.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Also more thinking on this, but Shinkai's work for me has always been about young love that doesn't work out for various reasons. I wouldn't expect any of the young 'couples' (for lack of a better words) in Voices of a Distant Star, Beyond the Clouds, 5 cm/s, Garden of Words, or Your Name to have any sort of physical relationship. Shinkai doesn't exactly write couples with the most romantic promise. They're typically separated in some way, shape, or form by time, space, or geographic location.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, Tomino's ranting again.

I will never cease to marvel at the weird pervy streak that crops up time and again in Tomino's interviews, despite the fact that the man's work (Gundam or otherwise) are comparatively chaste.

I will also never rolling my eyes at the sour grapes that man has over anyone who is more successful than him these days. I'm not even much of a KyoAni or Shinkai fan, but at least they can create shows and films where dialogue sounds like something an actual human might say, relationships don't just happen all of a sudden off-screen, and there are actual, recognizable human emotions present. At least he's moved on from picking on Marvel films, like he was in interviews at the time G-Reco debuted.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I’m sure it’s jealousy, folks, from the guy who created one of the most successful franchises in anime.

He’s not jealous. He’s just an oddball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tomdean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the american puritans are out in force again. Always strange to me that chopping heads off is great yet a little bit of consensual adult romance is somehow off putting.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure where Tomino gets that KyonAni never has anything sexual in their shows. Like their earliest titles were based on adult visual novels, Haruhi Suzumiya has plenty of fanservice humor in it, and the entire Free franchise is made to appeal to horny fujoshi. Then you also had stuff like Myriad Colors Phantom World and even FMP I remember it having fanservice humor in it.

He's not talking about fanservice. He means that these romance titles always stop at hand holding or a kiss, they never show the relationship get to the point of sex. It's something I've seen fans criticize all the time, how shows will end when the leads start dating but never explores what happens beyond that.

Exactly, and I agree that's pretty legit criticism. If you're going to focus on a relationship between two people and all its nuances, then you might as well go all the way. I like when an anime goes there - like, say, Nana - and that has nothing to do with pervyness or whatever. Unfortunately people wil take it as if he wants more fanservice, panties or big boobs.
Wyaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone has become skewed. Somehow everyone has forgotten their first time or that one girl who all you wanted was to be close to. If you can't see that it's monstrously unnatural (and bad writing in my opinion) for a boy who's in love with a girl and going through the anxiety of war and all the things that come with that not to want some booty then you're the weirdo or a virgin (nothing wrong with that)
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Did I missed something? Or did I read the wrong interview, why is everyone talking about fanservice and echi scenes stuff, from what I read he's talking about how there are anime were the MC and the love interest never really go beyond just looking at each other and along the lines with when they get together it just stops with them holding hands or maybe a kiss and nothing else, so were does the lack of fanservice and oversexualizing the characters comes from.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the problem more about genre expectations? Josei and seinen dabble in healthy amounts of sex, and some of the "racier" shoujo and shonen do as well. But Shinkai does more or less all-ages stories about longing, focusing more on the grief/loss aspect than the lustful desires definition you could wrangle out of "longing". While you could probably do a story about lovers feeling a sense of longing despite their physical intimacy, I think it's pretty clear that Shinkai's just not interested in telling those kinds of stories (nor, it seems, are the majority of modern shonen.)

Though heck, as an ace person, I can't say I'm overly bothered by stories that don't feature sex as the "ultimate truth" of "what it means to be human" or some other nonsense like that.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that you still have some your sexism from the 80s and 90s remaining in you, Tomino. I thought you purged it out of your systems following Brain Powered.

penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, I’m sure it’s jealousy, folks, from the guy who created one of the most successful franchises in anime.

He’s not jealous. He’s just an oddball.

Ah oddball who use to kill off his female love interests for the sake of DRAMA aka fridging, you mean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9