• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Light Novels of 2019 Went Back to School

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was explicitly The Rising of the Shield Hero's popularity with the overseas audience and Crunchyroll's involvement that made producers interested in adapting it to anime. Goblin Slayer is another example of a light novel anime that performed far better with western audiences compared to Japanese ones.

I wonder how many western fans defend some of the more questionable aspects of these on the grounds that Japanese creators shouldn't be judged by western standards of morality, themes, or taste -- when apparently, said aspects are more appealing to western audiences.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I wonder how many western fans defend some of the more questionable aspects of these on the grounds that Japanese creators shouldn't be judged by western standards of morality, themes, or taste -- when apparently, said aspects are more appealing to western audiences.

When people say don't compare stuff to western standards they usually mean the standards being pushed by moral guardians who are making those comparisons in the first place. The average American audience loves sex, violence and all kinds of aspects we get told not to enjoy. Goblin Slayer is hardly the only piece of media with rape in it though. Japan has made plenty of them, many of which never come out in the west to begin with. Goblin Slayer doing better in the west isn't really indicative we like this stuff more than Japan. But it does show we're not adverse to it like some people want us to be.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With the western anime streaming markets becoming more and more important every year while being more reliable than the lucrative yet fickle Chinese market, we'll probably be seeing more fantasy light novels get greenlit for anime with a western audience in mind.

I wonder how fickle the Chinese market is. From outside, it seem like young people in China loves whatever media that are catered to Japanese Otaku, but I suppose the actual data itself contradicts the hype in Chinese market?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
NoWayNoWay wrote:
Is this true? Did you actually read the novel or is this just your assumption based on the people who liked it? I've read so many positive things about it and really wanted to read it but maybe I'd rather not if it's really just one-sidedly going "MEN BAD!!"

No, my opinion is based on a number of reviews, according to which I concluded that this LN is problematic for my views on the issue. So, you should not perceive this as an objective truth, and if you are interested in this work, it will be easier if you purchase the first volume and draw your own conclusion.

I believe that the superficial “Take That!”, which depicts other social groups in the form of generalized abusive jerks, not only does not help expose problem, but also condones hostility between people. The only such work for which I made an exception was Mahouka, because its understanding of militarism was so ridiculous that it could not be taken seriously.

Rather than basing your opinion on an opinion its much better to base it on you know, the actual source? Otherwise your opinion is just a waste of time and you'd be better just linking to others who have actually read it! I've read both volumes of Sexiled and while there is a large chunk of "men are bad" and all the antagonists are male, its not all this and the MC has to acknowledge that not all men are not-so-nice-people.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Well in terms of Christian morality I would say that Hollywood has far worse problems than the anime industry. Goblin Slayer was gory but it was about a good man fighting evil while Hollywood promotes child drag queen shows as the pinnacle of progress. Personally I think that anime has on average a better sense of morality than most of the stuff made by Hollywood.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Trends will come and go in this medium, but long-ass awkward sentence titles are forever. lol
I was recently rewatching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and at one point in the second season there's a whole segment based on the teacher ranting about how book titles are too abstract and non-indicative of the books' content, and I was like "yeah, this hasn't aged well at all" Very Happy
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the name of that light novel where that girl is putting her fingers on the guy’s chin is?
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I wonder what the name of that light novel where that girl is putting her fingers on the guy’s chin is?

The title's just barely legible: osananajimi ga zettai ni makenai romukomu.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
The title's just barely legible: osananajimi ga zettai ni makenai romukomu.

The English title the scanlations for the manga use is The Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose!.
Fan translation of the novel uses the romanised version mentioned in your post(except the 'romukomu' should be 'Love Comedy' as the latter is used on the covers as well), but it does mention their translated version of the title in the afterword to the first volume: A Love Comedy The Childhood Friend Definitely Won’t Lose
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
NoWayNoWay wrote:
Is this true? Did you actually read the novel or is this just your assumption based on the people who liked it? I've read so many positive things about it and really wanted to read it but maybe I'd rather not if it's really just one-sidedly going "MEN BAD!!"

No, my opinion is based on a number of reviews, according to which I concluded that this LN is problematic for my views on the issue. So, you should not perceive this as an objective truth, and if you are interested in this work, it will be easier if you purchase the first volume and draw your own conclusion.

I believe that the superficial “Take That!”, which depicts other social groups in the form of generalized abusive jerks, not only does not help expose problem, but also condones hostility between people. The only such work for which I made an exception was Mahouka, because its understanding of militarism was so ridiculous that it could not be taken seriously.

I will admit that i was initially skeptical about Sexiled myself and there wasnt much background in the first volume. The second volume, however, really makes up for it and hits a note that much of modern feminism conveniently or deliberately misses. The reasons behind the shitty, sexist state of the world are believable (in my opinion at least) and do resonate with stuff in real life. I wont go further because that would be going into spoiler territory but, honestly, in my opinion it not only ridicules when the actions of relative minorities cause problems for the sensible majority but also subtextually ridicules those who use said problem minorities for their own ends.

It's about empowerment, not just female empowerment but empowerment for people in general to have views that the minority rails against.

EDIT: I'll just cram this in here.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:
NoWayNoWay wrote:

Rather than basing your opinion on an opinion its much better to base it on you know, the actual source? Otherwise your opinion is just a waste of time and you'd be better just linking to others who have actually read it! I've read both volumes of Sexiled and while there is a large chunk of "men are bad" and all the antagonists are male, its not all this and the MC has to acknowledge that not all men are not-so-nice-people.

I totally agree with ScruffyKiwi. There's actually a lot of character growth for the MCs and prominent side characters as well.

====================================
On the article itself, i have hopes for the romcom trend as long as we actually get proper relationships. I've long grown bored of series that want to be about relationships but either drag it out unreasonably before any sort of actual relationship happens OR it teases a relationship but does nothing else about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2