• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and Worst) Anime of Fall 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Don't have any best anime since Fall 2019 was a terrible season. However, I do think that Azur Lane falls under the most disappointing show of that season. The first 2 or 3 episodes of the show looked good and they had a decent set-up. However, the show dropped the ball entirely afterwards. Animation begins to degrade (especially Episode 6 and 8), there show is padded with unnecessary dialogue that adds nothing (i.e. that Queen Elizabeth's golf scene in Episode 9), the annoying Javelin-Ayanami-Laffey subplot, etc. By the time Episode 10 ends, you have to wonder why the staff even bothered to put the Iron Blood faction into the show when their screentime beyond Episode 3 is practically nothing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Best: Blade of the Immortal - a very violent show, but it has interesting ideas and great direction and production values.

Runner up: Ascendance of a Bookworm - a sweet isekai show abut everyday life.

Least good: Kandagawa Jet Girls - I like the boobs, but the writing and production values are garbage.

Disappointment of the season and the year: Stars Align had been such a spirituality rewarding show, but the totally unnecessary mega dark epilogue ruined it for me.
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Most Unfairly Ignored For Some Reason: Kono Oto Tomare!

My partner and I just marathoned the entire back half of the season last night and it was great, easily one of the best music anime in the last few years, well up there with Hibike! Euphonium. The music is excellent too. But it doesn't seem to have got a single mention in any of the ANN end-of-season / end-of-year articles. Not even the Best Song article...at least one other commenter is on board, I guess Smile

The back half was substantially better than the first, so maybe people tuned out after six or seven episodes? Even the start wasn't bad, though, just average...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Best: Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front - The show does sometimes make me feel like I skipped the first few seasons of it but I am really enjoying the story and it has some impressive animation.

Runner-up: Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? - The show has a few odd adaptation changes from the light novels but it was a lot of fun.

Somewhat bad: I don't watch shows unless I like them but in terms of shows where I tried the first episode it would be Fairy Gone season 2.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quote
Best surprises of the season: A tie between Ascendance of a Bookworm and Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun, didn't expect anything about them but both were charming and entertaining.

Best short of the season: From the same studio that animates Aggretsuko, Please Take My Brother Away s3, it is like Friends dialing up the stupid, but very fun none the less.

Best romcom: BOKUBEN s2, the only defect it does not has the definitive ending, but that is to be expected in the era where rarely a series has more that a couple of cours to tell a story.

Best Overall: Vinland Saga, they don't do animes like this anymore, do yourself a favor and watch it if you don't have already.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Best: Kabukicho Sherlock
Runner-Up: Babylon

Honorable Mentions: Special 7, Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia, Oresuki, SAO Alicizaton: War of Underworld, Dr. Stone, No Guns Life.

Dropped: The Hero is Overpowered But Cautious

Worst: High School Prodigies Have It Easy in Another World

Last edited by DeTroyes on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
1st. Vinland Saga
2nd. Dr. Stone
3rd. Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Honorable Mentions: Ascendance of a Bookworm, No Guns Life, and After School Dice Club
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
I thought Stars Align was either best or second-best for most of the season, but had some second thoughts towards the end. It seemed that everybody has some sort of problem to deal with at home, and several didn't make much sense. Like the team member who turns out to be a pathological liar--that came out of nowhere, and then we never heard anything about it in succeeding episodes. Why was it included to begin with? I also thought the 180 degree shift in mood that Maki undergoes in the cliffhanger at the end was hard to take seriously. I wondered at one point if someone was cutting corners, because the quality of the series early on seemed to have been a good deal better.

I'm surprised that nobody thought Beastars was even second best.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, I thought it was over. The last episode I watched seemed like a finale to me, despite a few loose ends. Is there more? I'm likewise confused about Chris implying there are more episodes of Cautious Hero coming up when his review of the last episode was labeled Series Finale. That felt done to me as well.

Like razhel rose said, 12 is the final, but our deadline for this article was before that aired. So I'd only seen 11 when I wrote it (same for Chris, I'm guessing), but I can't say episode 12 changed my mind all that much.

But, good point, razhel rose, about no one calling her ugly or other things! I missed that (probably because the most recent two otome games I played avoided that trope as well, but that may be a lame excuse, ha ha), and it's a definite plus.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:

I don't think Beastars is available legally in the west yet. So probably no one on the review staff has seen it yet (at least not officially).
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:

Beastars is one of my favourite manga and i loved the adaptation but the beginning arcs of the manga are easily weakest IMO, especially thespoiler[ rescue Haru plot] which almost made me drop the series because i was worried it was going to jump the shark into a more action heavy manga. spoiler[Action has increased], and there are some eye-roll inducing moments in them but they are infrequent enough that i still love the manga.
Daniel Carrilho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
Wow lots of love for Hoshiai no Sora, is it just because of the LGBT themes? I'm happy either way.

But the absence of Beastars doesn't make sense, is it just because of Netflix jail?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Best: Kabukicho Sherlock

MY BROTHER. [high fives]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Daniel Carrilho wrote:
But the absence of Beastars doesn't make sense, is it just because of Netflix jail?

Yes. That's also why Carole & Tuesday didn't show up on the Best of Spring and Best of Summer lists but was one of the top two critic's picks for the year. Based on what everyone's said about it, I am looking forward to checking it out when it is legally available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
I wondered at one point if someone was cutting corners, because the quality of the series early on seemed to have been a good deal better.

Perhaps you missed the reports that the production committee for Stars Align simply axed the second half of the season. The show was scripted to run over 24 episodes, but we only got to see the first twelve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3