• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Interspecies Reviewers Anime's Japanese Tokyo MX Airing Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
AT-X is the only important airing. The censored versions are completely pointless like the TV versions of Queens Blade.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
It’s a head-scratcher this show was on TV anywhere.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
So even for Japan it's too hentai for TV Laughing

Except it is airing on all those other tv stations, so...
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Being specifically pulled in Tokyo may have something to do with the Olympics being 6 1/2 months away.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Currently holding #2 place in there in its way to #1. This is definitely going to do wonders to its sales, or so I hope. The more money Passione gets out of this for Higurashi, the better it is for me.
I somehow doubt these people actually care about supporting the anime industry.

+ 1000. This really only goes to show the absolutely moronic (and creepy AF) highs (or lows) many anime fans are willing to reach nowadays. Oh, well, I guess years and years of most shows being nothing but creepy otaku pandering trash are starting to pay off.. Rolling Eyes
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine that the anime studio and producers didn't expect to see this coming. I bet this was all a strategy to increase Blu-ray sales.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
This really only goes to show the absolutely moronic (and creepy AF) highs (or lows) many anime fans are willing to reach nowadays. Oh, well, I guess years and years of most shows being nothing but creepy otaku pandering trash are starting to pay off.. :roll:

Not every show can be cheep cash-ins for action figures and video games, or the nth slice of life school drama. It's unfortunate this show isn't for you (I'd argue many of the people voicing their approval of it genuinely and unironically do enjoy it, erotic content and bawdy humor all) but you're acting like there isn't literally dozens of other shows coming out this season if this isn't your fancy.

Yen Press, the owner of the rights to the English stateside release of the manga, have got to be making a killing on the comics that "inspired the television show too hot for American streaming."

Meanwhile, Funimation is going to need to consider the best way to ensure their acquisition of these rights continues to be profitable. I will say, even based on the manga's content, this was a strange show to decide to simulcast.
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 am Reply with quote
What Anime is Tokyo MX replacing it with?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Apparently an youtuber fueled it in an angry rant regarding Funi, and it escalates it into people unironically pushing 10/10s for this show on MAL with or without score-bots.
That is going to be hard to explain to new comers in 10 years. "Why is THIS show the highest rated on MAL?"

That wont last long. Several admins have been working on a fix for review boming ever since someone created several thousand accounts to give chihayafuru 3 a 1 and tank its rating. So it should go back to a mid 7 in a few weeks
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Apparently an youtuber fueled it in an angry rant regarding Funi, and it escalates it into people unironically pushing 10/10s for this show on MAL with or without score-bots.
That is going to be hard to explain to new comers in 10 years. "Why is THIS show the highest rated on MAL?"

That wont last long. Several admins have been working on a fix for review boming ever since someone created several thousand accounts to give chihayafuru 3 a 1 and tank its rating. So it should go back to a mid 7 in a few weeks

Why would anyone hate Chihayafuru so much?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
changes in the circumstances within Tokyo Metropolitan Television

This is a clear reference to the Tokyo Metropolitan Ordinance Regarding the Healthy Development of Youths.

The only thing I would like to know if this was a case of self censorship or if someone in the government contacted a Tokyo MX executive and said the series should be removed.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Why would anyone hate Chihayafuru so much?

That's a loaded and involved question.

On the one hand, it was an incredibly well-reviewed series, but one that was non conventional and non pandering, which lead to one group of individuals feeling it deserved to be "taken down a peg."

On the other hand, the creator of the manga made some comments that were pro-Hong Kong, which another group of individuals weren't terribly keen on. Whether these individuals were actual anime fans who downvoted or downvoting just for retribution is a question I'm not best to answer.

But then you go back to the first hand, and you've got these people that are already disenfranchised with the show who see this "anti-Chinese" backlash and decide to dial it to 11, just as much to prove a point as "for the memes" and "for the lulz."

Last I checked there were over 600 accounts that were created that only downvoted this show, which is pretty telling to how unorganic the low rating actually is. It doesn't help that this downvoting has been going on since at least late October, and the MAL website has done little to curtail it outside of locking forum threads discussing the issue.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Or perhaps it's genuinely popular and well liked. Thousands of people voting for something is different than one person allegedly having thousands of accounts. If it's truly this easy for one person to change a site's ranking so much, then it would happen far more often, I would think.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:
Being specifically pulled in Tokyo may have something to do with the Olympics being 6 1/2 months away.

But the Anime would likely be done way before then.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Currently holding #2 place in there in its way to #1. This is definitely going to do wonders to its sales, or so I hope. The more money Passione gets out of this for Higurashi, the better it is for me.
I somehow doubt these people actually care about supporting the anime industry.

Exactly. MAL scores don't mean jack when it comes to physical sales and most of the people review bombing this thing are just a pack of horny/angry trolls who have no plans on actually supporting the industry with their wallets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6