• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oscars' Academy Reveals Next Phase in Inclusion Initative, Expands Best Picture Field to 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muteprohet8726

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
Who cares?
It's not like normal people have a say in it. The Oscars is literally just a big celebrity circle jerk anyway
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Aresef wrote:
I’m not sure how much this creates an easier path for anime to win another statuette.

This. Anime has two strikes against it, the Best Animated Feature Oscar was specifically made in order to avoid putting animated films into the Best Picture category. The Academy still largely see animated films as subpar art--a number have said they just ask their kids to vote for them. Back in '08 everyone thought WALL-E deserved at least a nom for Best Picture but that would step on the toes of the live action films so they threw into into Animated Feature and called it a day. Even if the Academy starts to seriously take non-English films seriously (they probably won't), it's a long way til they take "cartoons" seriously too.

I don’t understand why this is a problem—having a devoted animation category ensures that an animated feature wins every year. It’s not like an animated film ever won best picture before the category was added. For an award that appreciates animation completely, check out the Annie Awards.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:02 am Reply with quote
What did everyone expect from something a bunch of old men control? It was a miracle that Spirited Away won back then. But as long as the Hollywood people don't stop thinking with their wallets (a.k.a Disney having basically a monopoly in the animation department), it's not going to happen again. Any other country could make an animated masterpiece, but if it's not Disney or Pixar (or in the rare chance they didn't do that we,, Dreamworks or any other American company), forget it.
Q4000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quote
muteprohet8726 wrote:
Who cares?
It's not like normal people have a say in it. The Oscars is literally just a big celebrity circle jerk anyway

This. People forget that most award ceremonies were established by industry insiders to honor their peers. They weren't made to reflect popular and/or mainstream opinion.
Also, getting nominations and such require alot of lobbying (money). I remember my country had a film included in the shortlist but didn't get a nomination because they lacked the 'campaign funding' to raise interest for the film among the Academy voters. So most films probably won or got nominated either through intense lobbying or because it was downright good. Mostly the former.
Xe4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I understand what you are saying. But if you don't stay to a standard, then you leave yourself open to complaints and grievancies from all sides. A standard protects you, but having to explain deviations for different counties will be a painful process, and quite possible lead to an negative outcry from people who don't understand or care about your reasons.

I definitely agree. Having a standard holds the Oscars and Hollywood accountable, instead of relying on platitudes as in the past.

I mostly just don't trust the academy to not screw stuff up : p
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:
muteprohet8726 wrote:

Who cares?

This. People forget that most award ceremonies were established by industry insiders to honor their peers. They weren't made to reflect popular and/or mainstream opinion.

If normal people have a say, the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies would've dominated the last decade
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
What did everyone expect from something a bunch of old men control? It was a miracle that Spirited Away won back then. But as long as the Hollywood people don't stop thinking with their wallets (a.k.a Disney having basically a monopoly in the animation department), it's not going to happen again. Any other country could make an animated masterpiece, but if it's not Disney or Pixar (or in the rare chance they didn't do that we,, Dreamworks or any other American company), forget it.

The only reason why Spirited Away even won was because Disney didn't have a strong Oscars contender that year and decided to put their campaign funding behind Spirited Away instead. If not for that, it never would have won. This is also the reason another Ghibli movie have never won before or since.

Quite honestly, this change in rules is not going to make a huge difference or impact on what movies win. The problem isn't the rules but the people voting. Those people are old, out of touch, and worst of all, they don't like movies. Most of them don't watch the movies at all and just vote for whoever their friends are, or in the case of the animated movies, whatever made the most money that year or what their kids liked. They don't care about these movies, and they're sure as hell not sitting down to watch most of them if any of them at all (the shocking truth is that many of them haven't even seen one movie not to talk about all the movies nominated). Until you change who's voting and thus taking the money and "campaign atmosphere" out of ceremony that surrounds the Oscars, you won't get an awards ceremony that is celebrating and awarding a diverse range of artists.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I don’t understand why this is a problem—having a devoted animation category ensures that an animated feature wins every year. It’s not like an animated film ever won best picture before the category was added. For an award that appreciates animation completely, check out the Annie Awards.

My concern is that there's a lack of respect for animated films. The category is said to be created specifically to block animation from the "real" awards, similar to foreign language. The point is similar, why is it that these kinds of films must be relegated to a lesser category instead of competing with in big leagues? No one is upset that these categories exist, they're upset that they only exist to prevent these kinds of films from being honored at the topmost awards. If an animated film is truly one of the best of the year, the Oscars won't nominate it for best picture because they believe animation is a less valid form of film. That's why the nominations for animated film are criticized yearly, because there is little-to-no care put into what is nominated, and a documented lack of care to what wins. I mean, Boss Baby was nominated for best animated feature the year it was released.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

My concern is that there's a lack of respect for animated films. The category is said to be created specifically to block animation from the "real" awards, similar to foreign language. The point is similar, why is it that these kinds of films must be relegated to a lesser category instead of competing with in big leagues? No one is upset that these categories exist, they're upset that they only exist to prevent these kinds of films from being honored at the topmost awards. If an animated film is truly one of the best of the year, the Oscars won't nominate it for best picture because they believe animation is a less valid form of film. That's why the nominations for animated film are criticized yearly, because there is little-to-no care put into what is nominated, and a documented lack of care to what wins. I mean, Boss Baby was nominated for best animated feature the year it was released.

And I’d counter that yes, that’s true, unfortunately, but the rare instances that animated films made it to the Best Picture category did little to change that, but the dedicated animated film category *did* highlight many independent and foreign animated films over the years (even though they didn’t win).

The fight to get animation recognized as a worthwhile artistic medium in its own right is a good one, but one of the best ways to fight the stigma is to popularize under appreciated animated projects to as wide a mainstream as possible, which the animated features category does when it nominates movies like The Secret of Kells and Chico and Rita.

I also think that one of the few bright spots of the pandemic is that live action TV show creators are considering animation to tell their stories (see the season finales of The Blacklist and One Day at a Time).
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The fight to get animation recognized as a worthwhile artistic medium in its own right is a good one, but one of the best ways to fight the stigma is to popularize under appreciated animated projects to as wide a mainstream as possible, which the animated features category does when it nominates movies like The Secret of Kells and Chico and Rita.

Parasite's win didn't seem to do much to help the image of international films in America. A lot of people seemed to turn their nose up at the idea a foreign film won best picture at all, let alone the millions of people who felt personally snubbed Endgame wasn't even nominated. Award shows don't have any more meaning than what people give them, and if people find the awards lacking, their judgement won't mean as much. Every award show is bound to be skewed in some regard - usually it's the nomination process or judges themselves. All award shows, as someone else put it, an industry spectacle. Even the Anime Awards are not without those controversy. In short, I think there's much better ways to get animation recognized than winning some award.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2