• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club: Amazon Delists Some Light Novels, Manga on Kindle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Back to pirating then.
Smeagol_17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
Related question. Does someone know why ''Interspecies Reviewers, Vol. 1'' manga is not sold on kindle, but all other volumes are?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
I wonder how this will effect LN localization. I know that Amazon isn't the only choice, but it is the most visible. I hope they at least come clear with some rules so that publishers can tell in advance if a series won't be allowed there. If they paid for the license assuming that it would be sold on Amazon, they may have a hard time breaking even should the series get pulled. Depending on exactly why these were removed, a lot more series could be in trouble.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I know, I meant the reasoning behind the removal being something that must be clarified by official sources instead of making predominated assumptions that go as far as "WOKE" accusations that could make you look idiotic if it turns out not to be the worst case.

The article states that they were removed in a Kindle content review, and we know the publisher didn't make the request. What other reasons are there exactly?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I wonder how this will effect LN localization. I know that Amazon isn't the only choice, but it is the most visible. I hope they at least come clear with some rules so that publishers can tell in advance if a series won't be allowed there. If they paid for the license assuming that it would be sold on Amazon, they may have a hard time breaking even should the series get pulled. Depending on exactly why these were removed, a lot more series could be in trouble.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I know, I meant the reasoning behind the removal being something that must be clarified by official sources instead of making predominated assumptions that go as far as "WOKE" accusations that could make you look idiotic if it turns out not to be the worst case.

The article states that they were removed in a Kindle content review, and we know the publisher didn't make the request. What other reasons are there exactly?

I'm talking about the explanation once it all clears up, the removal happened and unless something happens, nothing can change that. I'm not denying they got removed, I'm just saying that an explanation must be found without drawing out too many conclusions.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Maybe it would be better for publisher companies to move the sales of this content outside of US and the away from "Cancel Culture" nutjobs that are destroying US culture and trying to extend it to other cultures.

"Cancel culture" generally refers to when disorganized mobs of people on the internet try to delegitimize someone because they did something perceived as inappropriate; and when that doesn't work, trying the same on anyone remotely associated with that person. That's not really what's happening here.

Amazon, these days, is basically a glorified and much larger version of Ebay, with no real capacity to track everything going on in its own marketplace (tech products often have multiple listings of the same exact thing, with consistently inaccurate descriptions), so it's hard to say what really prompted this. If they were really trying to purge skeevy loli content, I'd expect to see, for example, the Made in Abyss manga on this list. Most likely someone reported a bunch of stuff and they took it down without much thought, and it'll probably be back within a few days. Even if they don't relist any of these things, J-Novel's twitter pointed out they still have all these titles on several other major services, so there's no need to panic.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

"Cancel culture" generally refers to when disorganized mobs of people on the internet try to delegitimize someone because they did something perceived as inappropriate; and when that doesn't work, trying the same on anyone remotely associated with that person. That's not really what's happening here.

It started that way, but now "Cancel Culture" are applying to not only people but also media contend.

We can see nowadays movements to get movies and older TV series removed or having "Warning Labels" . And I'm not only talking about "Gone with the Wind". Manny others like "Dirty Harry", “Forrest Gump”,“Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”, “The Searchers”, “True Lies” are on the target list of this people.

Quote:
Even if they don't relist any of these things, J-Novel's twitter pointed out they still have all these titles on several other major services, so there's no need to panic.

The problem is that if they get away with this, it would be only the beginning. What would stop them of going after other sites or even the publisher. I really hope this was a mistake on the part of Amazon and the contend will return. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
So amazon is still selling physical versions of these titles. Honestly, I just want to file a complaint with Amazon's kindle services asking for reasoning on this. Like it seems like the content review service suffered a massive error and Amazon is too lazy to fix it, considering their generally buggy store front.

To be frank, I am 90% certain they won't give me a good answer but, I do think if they receive enough complaints they might reverse course. But that's just me being optimistic Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
I saw something about this on Youtube and checked, and listings for No Game No Life were pretty sparse and seemed to be from third-party sellers, so I was waiting to see if there was going to be any official comment from the publishers. No surprise that Amazon hasn't said anything. What is really disturbing is that they took down products they were selling and didn't tell the publisher. If there is suddenly some new rule that a store applies that results in no longer selling a product, then they owe it to the suppliers to tell them. The publishers shouldn't have to find out from customers and then separately inquire. It's possible they might not have noticed until they looked later and saw that sales through Amazon dropped to nothing.

I'm already ticked off about Sony deciding to censor certain games (while simultaneously allowing much more explicit content in others) without giving any clear guidance and forcing the game makers to go back and change things or possibly not release a Playstation version at the last minute. I don't think they should be censoring at all, but not making the rules or reasons clear means either more work or the decision not to invest more money to release a different version.

Even though other retailers are still selling these titles, it still hurts the licensing companies if they are cut off from any retailer, especially a very big and very visible one like Amazon. Even more so when it's something they've already paid to license and put in the expenses of publication. It hurts us as customers because it can factor into what titles get licensed if something is considered too risky for wide distribution and would be less profitable. Throw in a lack of clear guidance and you could have licensing companies deciding they can't afford to take the risk or might do retailer exclusives with the few retailers that would sign agreements not to pull the product later.

DarkEXE wrote:
Back to pirating then.

Or you could buy them from the other retailers that still sell them. Right Stuf, Barnes and Noble, and various others are still selling them. I buy all my anime and manga from Right Stuf already. It's a bad situation, but if you can still support them legally, that is far more helpful than just taking them.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Looks like Amazon got infect with the "Cancel Culture" virus. This doesn't look good for the future of LN, manga and anime in US. Looks like some vocal minority find this offensive and were able to get it removed from there.

Maybe it would be better for publisher companies to move the sales of this content outside of US and the away from "Cancel Culture" nutjobs that are destroying US culture and trying to extend it to other cultures.
This is not 'cancel culture' but free market in practice - it seems that Amazon saw that there are way more people who don't like than potential buyers and kicked it off.
Their platform, their right to do whatever they want - after all trying to regulate that stuff is pure evil, isn't it?
overlordrae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Chances are, someone just reported a bunch of them because often Amazon doesn't delist something unless it's been reported. This happened to a ton of BL manga years before(whether they were explicit or not).

Keep in mind as well, that digital media if they want to have apps on iPhone often has to follow strict guidelines on content as well. Tapas hid a ton of their adult webcomics on their app that you can otherwise access on their website for this reason.

Last edited by overlordrae on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
So amazon is still selling physical versions of these titles. Honestly, I just want to file a complaint with Amazon's kindle services asking for reasoning on this.

That's less uncommon than you might think - several of Viz's SuBLime imprint titles are available in print versions but not digital on Amazon. Yarichin Bitch Club, specifically vanished from digital pre-order when physical was still available, and that series remains print-only from them. There's a tiny bit of discussion about it on their page for the second volume.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
Amazon is no longer selling physical copies of these titles. Feel free to check for yourselves. I find this censorship by Amazon very disappointing and concerning.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
So amazon is still selling physical versions of these titles.

Not valid for all titles. No Game No Life novels and manga, both digital and physical editions, are gone from there.

Dalek-baka wrote:
This is not 'cancel culture' but free market in practice - it seems that Amazon saw that there are way more people who don't like than potential buyers and kicked it off.
Their platform, their right to do whatever they want - after all trying to regulate that stuff is pure evil, isn't it?

Free market practice would be they'd sell to those who want to buy and ignore those who don't like the stuff. If they were removing everything someone doesn't like they'd soon have an empty store.
For some reason they have it out bad for the content in those novels and it's not for business reasons as no business leaves money on the table willingly...
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness awareness has been brought to this and that I now know of other titles that have been removed. I planned to finally start reading No Game No Life and Clockwork Planet recently only to see digital and physical buying options were removed entirely for the former and the latter only being available in physical releases. I can always buy from Barnes and Noble and Google Books but I'm heavily invested in Kindle and wanted to keep my E-Book purchases coalesced onto one account so this is still unfortunate.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Amazon is no longer selling physical copies of these titles. Feel free to check for yourselves. I find this censorship by Amazon very disappointing and concerning.

All the physical book for How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, Clockwork Planet, and I Shall Survive Using Potions are still purchasable on Amazon. I think the only physical books taken down were No Game No Life (light novels and first volume of manga) and Dark Horse’s Eromanga Sensei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7