• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Quibi Streaming Service Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
released during a time where everyone is too stressed out over real-world chaos to try new things....

They are?

Wearing masks maybe but streaming (some of them) and digital downloads have been doing good during the lockdowns.

Blood- wrote:
I thought this was a stupid idea the second I heard about it which was well before it launched. I just wiahed it had launched pre-covid-19 just so that its principals would have had to acknowledge it was something that cound never have worked regardless of external conditions.

I mean there's no guarantee had Covid not came around that the powers that be would've seen this as a money waster and still not threw away money on this venture.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
...but not much promotion to speak of.

Clearly you never had to try to watch a youtube video without an ad blocker on, because omfg if those weren't 80% of the ads I got every single time.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Clearly you never had to try to watch a youtube video without an ad blocker on

Man, if it weren't for adblock, I'd have quit using the internet entirely years ago. They didn't have the sense to sponsor any videos to get around that; or if they did, I didn't see it.

To the previous post, I said new things. Existing web-platforms have been doing great. Might not have been the best time to launch a new one, though, especially one that had no explicable reason to exist.
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Was reading a bit about it. Apparently they had the bright idea to keep this as a mobile-only service without TV streaming aimed at people commuting?

Well guess what people weren't doing?

This is what bad ideas surrounded by a staff of hired yes-men gets you.

That part is only horrible in retrospect because the lockdowns happened RIGHT before the scheduled release, and there wasn't much they could do about that.

The other horrible part was that the marketing was horrible. The commercials fit Quibi gave no indication for what it does (just relying on quirky name recognition to generate buzz) and there was no way for anyone to review the content properly. There was no way for anyone to see the content unless you had a subscription because they didn't let people take screenshots or video captures for review purposes.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Was reading a bit about it. Apparently they had the bright idea to keep this as a mobile-only service without TV streaming aimed at people commuting?

Well guess what people weren't doing?

This is what bad ideas surrounded by a staff of hired yes-men gets you.

We want people to use our product this one way, so we won't let people use it other ways that they might prefer. It like how HBOMax isn't on Fire and Roku
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It's not a bad idea in concept. I mean, look at all those webtoon-style comic services that make webcomics formatted scrolling on a smartphone. They're all over the place now.

I think the bite-sized content idea was a bit pointless, though, especially for a US-based company. Then again, folks out in San Francisco and LA tend to think the rest of the country is just like 'em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2