• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama The Final Ends Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba's 12-Weekend Reign at Box Office (Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
If Sailor Moon Eternal part 1 did this poorly on it's opening weekend, I doubt a sequel that requires you to watch the first one will somehow do significantly better.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Its only right the finale of Gintama ends up at #1 dethroning KnY.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think a lot of Sailor Moon Eternal's poor showing has to do with a number of factors. The backlash to the first two seasons really seems to have damaged the Crystal brand's name even after s3 largely fixed a lot of the problems fans had with those earlier seasons. Toei did little marketing for Crystal and most of the merchandise centered around the 90s anime. They also did little to grow the show's audience beyond it's original fanbase from the 90s. Eternal started to step things up with the marketing but it was too little too late. Sailor Moon is also just an old show and as much as I love it, the way anime is made and anime fandom's tastes in shows has changed in 25+ years, and Sailor Moon really mainly seems to only be well known nowadays with older fans who grew up with it. Kids today have lots of flashier newer shows to watch than this 25 year old show that just keeps recycling the same stories with each adaptation. Of course there's also the bad timing of the state of emergency and it probably didn't help Sailor Moon going up against Demon Slayer, Pokemon, Gintama and Doraemon all at once.

Shame. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2