• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Removes Scum's Wish, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, More Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
What i really want is for amazon to give up on thier re:creators license and allow someone to actually release it on home video, cause they really are wasting it.

Agreed. Or at the very least, allow it to stream somewhere else.

Amazon generally seems to license their exclusive shows for 4-5 years before it comes up for renewal. If that's the case, there's a chance the license will expire this year. I believe Re:Creators is technically an Aniplex title (it was released as such in Japan), so chances are Funimaton/Crunchyroll is where it would probably land (assuming Amazon drops it).
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
That's a bummer. With server-and-storage costs as low as they are, especially if you're Amazon, I'm surprised they feel the need to cut these. Must be very low viewership on them -- particularly disappointing for Scum's Wish and Yuki Yuna. Like Key, I was very fond of both of those.

The licence expired and they weren't considered popular enough to be renewed.

That is going to happen a lot with non anime focused streaming services.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm bummed out not seeing any discussion of Just Because.

Anyone who liked Sing Yesterday for Me would probably love Just Because. It's a really great drama with the same sort of growing up while the world is starting to pass you by type of show about high schoolers in the waning weeks before their graduation.

Also I know Re:Creators got a lot of love. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade there, but man was that show kind of boring. Soooo much talking in circles in conference rooms. We got a few great action scenes with a banging Sawano Hiroyuki score, but I wanted more.

As for Anime Strike/Amazon, I agree they completely mishandled their approach towards anime. Their Prime Video website is atrocious and yeah, absolutely zero marketing or surfacing of shows. I remember shows were newly airing and I was simply unable to find them even by directly searching sometimes. I get they want to maintain a single experience across all of Amazon (Video, Music, Grocery, Shopping, etc...) but their UI is atrocious. Even for shopping it's a dated, bloated mess, but for Video it's not even close. When Funimation's website is miles better, you've got issues on your hands.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Zendervai wrote:
I think when stuff like Re:CREATORS and Banana Fish fall off Amazon Prime, someone else will grab it. Both shows have legitimate sales potential, Amazon is just completely awful at capitalizing on it. And I don't think Amazon's actively cutting these shows, I think the licenses are expiring and Amazon doesn't care enough to renew them. They gave up completely on the Noitamina blanket license after it expired, for example, once it turned out the Anime Strike experiment was a complete dud.

Seeing someone grab up, dub, and release Re:CREATORS is probably my greatest anime wish at this point. I'd pre-order that sucker at full price.

There's been some speculation Alex Von David (voice director for SAO and Konosuba) directed a dub for Re:CREATORS. He mentioned working on a mysterious Aniplex show he couldn't talk about and it was seemingly the only one that would've made sense given the timeframe.
Brook09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Scytalle wrote:
I'm bummed out not seeing any discussion of Just Because.

Anyone who liked Sing Yesterday for Me would probably love Just Because. It's a really great drama with the same sort of growing up while the world is starting to pass you by type of show about high schoolers in the waning weeks before their graduation.

Also I know Re:Creators got a lot of love. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade there, but man was that show kind of boring. Soooo much talking in circles in conference rooms. We got a few great action scenes with a banging Sawano Hiroyuki score, but I wanted more.

As for Anime Strike/Amazon, I agree they completely mishandled their approach towards anime. Their Prime Video website is atrocious and yeah, absolutely zero marketing or surfacing of shows. I remember shows were newly airing and I was simply unable to find them even by directly searching sometimes. I get they want to maintain a single experience across all of Amazon (Video, Music, Grocery, Shopping, etc...) but their UI is atrocious. Even for shopping it's a dated, bloated mess, but for Video it's not even close. When Funimation's website is miles better, you've got issues on your hands.

I remember back when the anime aired, lots of people were angry with the ending as the best girl lost horrible. Smile
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm hoping Banana Fish's license will expire and someone else can pick up and dub it, it absolutely deserves a dub and more exposure.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The Great Passage was a return to the Noitamina of its prime. It was absolutely fantastic and it was fascinating how the directors and screenwriters made creating a dictionary so captivating.
skooby00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this means they no longer have the rights to it, I've been hoping for Banana Fish, Re;Creators and Vinland Saga to get dubs, is a literal dream of mine. (Hope they lose Vinland Saga at some point too)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
skooby00 wrote:
I'm hoping this means they no longer have the rights to it, I've been hoping for Banana Fish, Re;Creators and Vinland Saga to get dubs, is a literal dream of mine. (Hope they lose Vinland Saga at some point too)

I'd throw in Wotakoi and Boarding School Juliet.
Charou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The Great Passage was a return to the Noitamina of its prime. It was absolutely fantastic and it was fascinating how the directors and screenwriters made creating a dictionary so captivating.

Agreed. We gave it a look for the seiyuu, but everything about it was stylish, mature, grounded and yet the visualisation of writing a dictionary (of all the banal things!) was fanciful and visually untethered. What a gem.

__

As for this news itself, THIS is why I'm glad I'm getting those Lidenfilms Blade of the Immortal blurays asap...aaaand I just realised that I set Manji as my avatar here, so yeah, big surprise there. Some other service might pick it up, but these days I feel I rely a little too much on that rather than good old physical media (don't you 'ok boomer' me, kids, I'm firmly Gen X) for reliability and a little support of less-popular titles. A pity there isn't more Mugen no Juunin merch...

Thankfully most Amazon-locked anime are self-contained rather than long-running, and I'm ignorant as to what sort of deal they might have with Twin Engine, but this makes me at least a little wary to watch Vinland Saga as it airs rather than wait and marathon it, as I did its spiritual long-format premium quality forebears like Titan and FMB: Brotherhood.

You have to dig *really* hard to find the anime on Prime, at least here in Australia, and they're sitting on some really good exclusive titles even now...AND sometimes the subs don't even work (Kokkoku, for example) ...Well, I don't have Prime for the anime but it's a nice bonus; I would otherwise sign up for certain shows and then disappear, or just sail the seas. I imagine that attitude is what they're expecting, and I feel bad for playing into it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, Eromanga-sensei & Yuka Yuna are not streaming on Amazon Prime in Canada anymore, but Just Because, The Great Passage, and Scum's Wish are still available there.

I'd be curious to know why Canada and the USA would be any different in availability since it seems like so many rights for anime used to be seemingly made for North America including both countries. Curious...
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
Why is a licence dropping out in just one country worthy of a news article? These are still available on Amazon Prime in Australia, and shows appearing/disappearing off a steaming service happens every day. Either the licence needs renewal or someone better than Amazon picked it up
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Interestingly enough, Eromanga-sensei & Yuka Yuna are not streaming on Amazon Prime in Canada anymore, but Just Because, The Great Passage, and Scum's Wish are still available there.

I'd be curious to know why Canada and the USA would be any different in availability since it seems like so many rights for anime used to be seemingly made for North America including both countries. Curious...

The catalogues have a lot of differences and it's not that far outside the realm of possibility that there was actually two different streaming deals (one for the US under Anime Strike and one for everywhere else under Prime Video). Amazon bungled the whole thing so badly that it wouldn't surprise me. It basically never comes up, but it is possible to license stuff just for the US or just for Canada. The only things that immediately come to mind are a Quebec release of that CGI Captain Harlock movie (Canada license only) and the Black Rock Shooter PSP game (something prevented the license from being valid in Canada).

Quote:
Why is a licence dropping out in just one country worthy of a news article? These are still available on Amazon Prime in Australia, and shows appearing/disappearing off a steaming service happens every day. Either the licence needs renewal or someone better than Amazon picked it up

ANN is an American site. They do cover stuff that happens elsewhere, but most of the staff are based in the US. And they do cover it when other services lose shows for whatever reason. This isn't a new thing for them. Especially since it would be helpful for American readers to know when a show is no longer available for them to watch. I actually don't really understand why they wouldn't report on this, to be honest? It's a helpful bit of information for people it affects and it's also a useful warning for people outside the US to maybe watch those shows ASAP as they'll likely be dropping off there too.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Key wrote:
Zendervai wrote:
I think when stuff like Re:CREATORS and Banana Fish fall off Amazon Prime, someone else will grab it. Both shows have legitimate sales potential, Amazon is just completely awful at capitalizing on it. And I don't think Amazon's actively cutting these shows, I think the licenses are expiring and Amazon doesn't care enough to renew them. They gave up completely on the Noitamina blanket license after it expired, for example, once it turned out the Anime Strike experiment was a complete dud.

Seeing someone grab up, dub, and release Re:CREATORS is probably my greatest anime wish at this point. I'd pre-order that sucker at full price.

There's been some speculation Alex Von David (voice director for SAO and Konosuba) directed a dub for Re:CREATORS. He mentioned working on a mysterious Aniplex show he couldn't talk about and it was seemingly the only one that would've made sense given the timeframe.

This is the first I'm hearing of such a dub rumor if there's any actual proof to it I wonder if it will ever see the light of day. I honestly never had a issue with Prime picking up anime titles I still use my prime account to this day to watch anime from time to time.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Don't give a crap about Amazon's streaming, some of these shows need a physical release.

I would be all for buying Vinland Saga, Rage of Bahamut season 2, maybe Yuki Yuna (missed out on the $90 box set and it's OOP now) and definitely all of Nanoha (a partial double-dip since I still have the Geneon DVDs of the first two seasons that FUNi put out 12+ years ago).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3