• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Live-Action Gundam Film; Jordan Vogt-Roberts to Direct

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Kong Skull island was enjoyable, but you better be careful, ANN. If you don't like his movie he'll throw a hissyfit about it on Twitter!
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime rarely if ever translates well to live action, specially when done by Hollywood (thought Alita was ok though). Big players involved so at least there’ll be money in it. On a side note, I wonder what ole man Tomino thinks about this?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
If this project goes into production soon I wonder how the production is going to be. Is it going to adapt the original '79 anime or is it going to be an original story or a combination of various Gundam works.

Back when it was announced, I'd hoped it would be apeing G Generation a bit since that cast doesn't really have much plot, outside of the Codes in Wars/World/Overworld.

Original timeline, original cast, original suit designs but with maybe some throwbacks and appearances by fan favorite suits, etc.
Zen119

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

I also wonder what they have in mind for the movie versions of the mobile suits. I didn't like the mechanical desings of the Transformers and Power Rangers live-actions, but Bandai will probably be involved very closely in the mecha designs

Hollywood could improved the RX-78-2 Gundam model that had a brief appearance on Ready Player One, if they are going to do UC timeline.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kong: Skull Island was pretty decent, so this might turn out alright.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

I also wonder what they have in mind for the movie versions of the mobile suits. I didn't like the mechanical desings of the Transformers and Power Rangers live-actions, but Bandai will probably be involved very closely in the mecha designs

Hollywood could improved the RX-78-2 Gundam model that had a brief appearance on Ready Player One, if they are going to do UC timeline.
I both loved and hated that cameo. The design of the RX-78-2 was absolutely awesome and I loved seeing it brought to life. But the mega fan in me was getting kind of nitpicky with it. It felt like it was moving around a little too much. The Mobile Suits in 0079 are the equivalent of like second generation tech, where it built off of the original stuff, but it's still very rigid and mechanical. And while the RX-78 is capable of better movement than a Zaku, being a more advanced prototype, it still shouldn't be moving quite like that. At the same time, it's backpack is more of a jump pack. The RX-78 is not capable of sustained flight in atmosphere, so it's pulling off some actually impossible feats in Ready Player One. It looked cool, which was the point, but it wasn't really accurate to what it was supposed to do. Now for this movie, they could adapt it in such a way that this is a different model, a different Gundam, and work around that so that it moves better and can fly if they wanted it to.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I both loved and hated that cameo. The design of the RX-78-2 was absolutely awesome and I loved seeing it brought to life. But the mega fan in me was getting kind of nitpicky with it. It felt like it was moving around a little too much. The Mobile Suits in 0079 are the equivalent of like second generation tech, where it built off of the original stuff, but it's still very rigid and mechanical. And while the RX-78 is capable of better movement than a Zaku, being a more advanced prototype, it still shouldn't be moving quite like that. At the same time, it's backpack is more of a jump pack. The RX-78 is not capable of sustained flight in atmosphere, so it's pulling off some actually impossible feats in Ready Player One. It looked cool, which was the point, but it wasn't really accurate to what it was supposed to do. Now for this movie, they could adapt it in such a way that this is a different model, a different Gundam, and work around that so that it moves better and can fly if they wanted it to.

Considering it's movement is based around video game performance and not real life your nitpicking doesn't make sense in this case.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Considering it's movement is based around video game performance and not real life your nitpicking doesn't make sense in this case.
[/quote]

Yeah well the majority of gundam video games stuck to rigid realistic movement as well. So he's on point.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
Yeah well the majority of gundam video games stuck to rigid realistic movement as well. So he's on point.

I'm not talking about a real video game I'm talking about the Oasis game world the movie takes place in.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Shia LaBeouf as Amuro

Know you’re joking but you haven’t read the news huh?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Shia LaBeouf as Amuro

Know you’re joking but you haven’t read the news huh?

Obviously not. Though that would be ideal joke casting back in 2007.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wow. This looks like it'll be an interesting movie. I hope I get to see it soon. It'll be fascinating to see an American take on this franchise.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Apparently there's now sexual harassment allegations against the director. It's not too late for Sunrise to find somebody else. https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1381657537318170625
LightningComet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
What I wouldn't mind seeing them do is combine all of the themes from previous series and combine them into a new timeline so Newtypes, Coordinators, Mobile Dolls, etc. That way they give themselves lots of options for sequels and TV spin offs if all goes well.

I would prefer to see something original and accessible to those unfamiliar with the franchise rather than a perpetuation of the token "stagnant franchise cash-grab with sequel bait" that seems to pervade cinema since comic book continuity-incompetency made its way to the big screen with the MCU.
Moontei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
Hoping they go the completely original timeline/story route. Though so long as the story is well written, doesn't matter what they choose to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3