• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Miss Nagatoro's Negging TOO Mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
While everyone's tastes are different, I find it hard to take criticism of a show seriously when it comes across as if the whole thing is clouded by one 20 minute episode.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. If Episode 1 is bad, it doesn't matter how good Episode 10 is because it's unlikely I make it to Episode 2.

The review is valid because reviews are subjective.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
No, they definitely mean negging.

Negging is a concept originated by pickup artists, which is this misogynistic internet subculture of men centered around picking up women. Though it doesn't make much sense at all to sane people, "negging" is this idea they came up with to somehow pick up women by emotional manipulation by straight up insulting them, though sometimes it comes off as a backhanded compliment like, "Oh it's such a shame, you'd look so pretty if you just bothered to make yourself up."
Wow, I have literally never heard of that. They used that word in the article title without explaining it because everyone but me is familiar with it?
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Simply brushing off the show as a niche show for people with a specific fetish seems to disregard many of the shows good points.

Well, it's certainly not niche in the popularity sense given it's one of the season's most popular shows. As far as niche fetishes goes... sure, why not? Studios like KyoAni and SHAFT make zero attempts to hide their blatant fetishes for things like feet and stuff and they're still beloved. Anime is pretty open with their pandering and most people accept it. I'd say most anime fans are pretty open minded about kinks and fetishes in general. Or I guess the cool thing is to call yourself a degenerate. As far as fetishes go, being abused by a tsundere is pretty common.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Wow, I have literally never heard of that. They used that word in the article title without explaining it because everyone but me is familiar with it?

I would say it's pretty well known in internet circles, but probably not very well known in the mainstream. So you're probably not alone for not having heard of it before.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
09jcg wrote:
While everyone's tastes are different, I find it hard to take criticism of a show seriously when it comes across as if the whole thing is clouded by one 20 minute episode.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. If Episode 1 is bad, it doesn't matter how good Episode 10 is because it's unlikely I make it to Episode 2.

TWIA isn't traditional review, it's a column where reviewers post screenshots from all material that is available so far while talking to each other about the content. That makes focusing on first episode a weak column, since we don't get anything that wasn't talked about in Spring Preview Guide, especially with how short this column was.

Combined with some weird shots at some people on internet defending this to the reviewer and Uzaki-chan and its defenders, part of the column feels like blog of Old Guy Shouting at Clouds and Anime Community about stuff he doesn't like. I felt similar thing (Old Guys's blog feel) in Begonia TWIA where there was lot of ragging on Ghibli's popularity despite Begonia not having anything to do with Ghibli except shallow similarities, but at least that column was long enough to talk about movie in length, and I admit J-K said straight it was his personal hangup.

Look at TWIA for Rent-A-Girlfriend, Eiken, Vladlove, even Bunny-Girl Senpai which was as short, those can be critical while still entertaining and actually talking about content. Most of TWIA are usually lightweight, funny talk, even in criticism, usually trying to find something good even in worst shows like Eiken, and that is why I enjoy them. I feel this column should either be longer, especially for 10-episodes already watched, or given to someone who enjoy it more.

While watching other TWIA's for comparison, I noticed Bunny-Girl Senpai's was somewhat similar in both being as short and quite critical, at least from one side, and generated a *lot* of disagreement in the comment thread, but despite actually liking Bunny Senpai and even Sakuta himself I still could enjoy most of the column and agree with some points.

Last edited by a_Bear_in_Bearcave on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
09jcg wrote:

For a regular person like you and me maybe. But if you're going to write a column to discuss a show in its entirety then that can't apply. First, I would hope the writers in question DID make it to episode 2, because that would imply reviewing and discussing something they did not actually watch. Second, what's the point of contributing to this article or even writing it at all if the majority of your criticism is geared around 20 minutes of content out of 200 minutes of aired content? As someone mentioned earlier, if the writer in question simply can't enjoy it because of childhood experiences then they should simply state as such as a warning to others who might feel the same way and leave the actual real discussion of the content to others. The article as a result comes across as a rant, and rants are rarely informative or fun to read.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote
Reviewer should have installed the Nagatoro app one week before writing this column to build up resistance.

https://twitter.com/mobcastcontents/status/1403275819611525123
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely not the target audience for this show, (I only read a tiny bit of the manga and noped out), but my two cents, for what it is worth, is I don't think it's very useful to have people reviewing this show that aren't the target audience. Just get the "this show definitely isn't for everyone" disclaimer out of the way, and then for those still reading, give a review by someone who actually gets it.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
battle-arc-fan wrote:
That is why claiming NOW that the complaints were REALLY over bad production values and a mediocre show all along is so laughable. Because if that were the case why not Hand Shakers, Ex-ARM and My Sister My Writer?

Hand Shakers did not have bad production values. It had average-to-decent production values that were just horribly mishandled.

Nagatoro is a fun show, if a little tough at times, and further proof that TWIA columns where the two authors are at odds in their opinions are the best, save for those that completely blast terrible anime without coming off like it was written by elitists who view art objectively.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I'm definitely not the target audience for this show, (I only read a tiny bit of the manga and noped out), but my two cents, for what it is worth, is I don't think it's very useful to have people reviewing this show that aren't the target audience. Just get the "this show definitely isn't for everyone" disclaimer out of the way, and then for those still reading, give a review by someone who actually gets it.

This is incorrect in general and often cited when what people mean is 'pandering' instead of 'reviewing,' but regardless the reviewers don't ever know if they're going to be the target audience for any given thing. Usually topics are decided a few weeks to a week prior to publication and reviewers go in blind. That said, while sometimes someone bites a bullet, the four reviewers also choose which series they're doing. It's very rare that anyone is signing up to legitimately hate-watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
I found the article a bit harsh, and I am a little surprised people are having such a negative reaction. Indeed Nagatoro is a bit harsh in the first episode, where she made Senpai cry, but I think that it is kind of clear after that it is not really her intention. She is a bit of a sadist, and perhaps needed to go a bit to learn how to interact with introverted people outside of her usual frame of mind, but it is also kind of obvious that except for a few cases early on where her sadism got the better of her, it is not really what is going on. Senpai has really bad self-esteem, he just kind of starts assuming that she is just trying to humiliate him, and really she is kind of covering up her embarrassment, projecting that she wants him to think a bit pervy of her, or wants him to stick up for himself a bit more.

To talk about development in the show, you can't leave out Nagatoro's friends, where it does kind of start that they think she is teasing him and perhaps want to join in, but Gamo especially caught on that Nagatoro is interested in him and some of the antics were actually to tease her friend a bit. And there is that shift, where I am pretty certain that Nagatoro did not invite him to the beach with them to tease him, she wanted them to get along more, while he keeps imagining this idea that she is not really interested and just trying embarrass him. The girls tease each other for fun, but it is kind of clear that they are not doing it in a malicious sense, but how they show affection.

Perhaps that is all part of some fantasy idea, that some people might call a fetish or something, but I think it is a big difference from something like Takagi-san where it does really look like she just likes to win at embarrassing her crush. Nagatoro actually wants Senpai to be happy, and is shown in equal amounts also wanting to show off to Senpai like a bit of a dork. As a bit introvert, Nagatoro is much better than Takagi and even Uzaki. Takagi wants to always win over her crush, Uzaki is too blind to her own interest, but Nagatoro is the most successful at having him to change out his head and improve.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I very much disagree that Takagi-san "just likes to win at embarrassing her crush." The show makes clear that Takagi-san genuinely likes Nishikata. Their competition is simply their way of interacting and Nishikata is just as in to it as she is, even if he gets frustrated when he loses. As for Nagato inspiring more development in Senpai than either Takagi-san or Uzaki-san do with their respective "partners"... that has more to do with the fact that Senpai is a huge mess. Neither Nishikata nor Sakurai need "fixing" so of course there will be less development.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ DP - I very much disagree that Takagi-san "just likes to win at embarrassing her crush." The show makes clear that Takagi-san genuinely likes Nishikata. Their competition is simply their way of interacting and Nishikata is just as in to it as she is, even if he gets frustrated when he loses.

But their character chemistry really was pretty much the same joke over and over again, of him trying to get one up on her, only to find that she already foresaw it and he gets humiliated. I think that there were some rare spots towards the end where he might have got her by surprise and thus had what might have been a win, but Nagataro-san had similar happen much earlier on where Senpai might surprise her. There is a much broader conclusions happening in Nagatoro-san, over Takagi just being sly of everything going on, and really Nishikata trying to defeat Takagi.

I would say it is more unhealthy there, a relationship built on trying to defeat their partner and have them admit defeat, over the types of things Nagatoro and Senpai have, and she has been getting more vulnerable. Could Takagi have been pushed into embarrassingly dressing up n a cat costume that he designed, and is a part of an element of where he complemented that he finds her cool for her athleticism, itself a part of a discussion where he was made to admit that he would like to be complemented and should start by giving some himself?

I personally prefer the kind of silly teasing of a relationship that grows, rather than one that for the majority of the time is just guy losing and arguably becoming increasingly hostile to embarrass her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
You'll get no argument from me that the dynamic between Takagi-san and Nishikata is very repetitive. But that's not what I was arguing against in your original point. You said that it seemed Takagi-san "just likes to win at embarrassing her crush." I believe it's not about "winning" anything. Takagi-san has figured out a way to keep Nishikata's attention and uses it to have interaction with him. That's her agenda... not "winning."
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:16 am Reply with quote
I actually did something I almost never do-I read the manga for this series and it leaves too much out, it's hardly a barebones sketch. They definitely have a crush on each other in the manga but neither one really knows how to express their feelings and it leads to much misunderstanding and awkwardness between them.

Last edited by zrdb on Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3