• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia THE MOVIE: World Heroes' Mission

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it tonight and quite enjoyed it. It showed growth on Deku's side and Bakugo had his temper sort of reeled in. It was mostly following four characters: Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki, and Rody.

I didn't get to see the second movie, due to Covid hitting around that time in my state. I did get the Blu-Ray. The last anime movie I saw was Dragon Ball Super. It felt good to go out and see this, gave me some normalcy in non normal conditions. Sorry some didn't like it, but to each his, her, or their own.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I love him and he's my favorite movie sidekick now.

Hard same - Rody ended up being a surprisingly charming character, he was expressive, fun to watch and bounced really well off Deku, and his last scene in the movie is genuinely sweet. I was surprised that I ended up enjoying his parts in the movie more than I did the actual plot, and he made up for the fact that Bakugo had the same three lines repeated over and over during the whole movie.

The weirdest thing for me is how despite all the advertisement with the main trio in their stealth suits, they wear them for about... one scene? Seemed like a waste of some cool designs.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Hard same - Rody ended up being a surprisingly charming character, he was expressive, fun to watch and bounced really well off Deku, and his last scene in the movie is genuinely sweet. I was surprised that I ended up enjoying his parts in the movie more than I did the actual plot, and he made up for the fact that Bakugo had the same three lines repeated over and over during the whole movie.

The weirdest thing for me is how despite all the advertisement with the main trio in their stealth suits, they wear them for about... one scene? Seemed like a waste of some cool designs.

Totally agree with both of you! I just watched it and I loved it a lot and one of the reasons was Rody! I didn’t think I’d like him so much, but I was pleasantly surprised especially at the end. He is not boring. And his chemistry with Deku was like… no wonder I see so much DekuxRody ship art from Japanese fans lol. Also big same with the stealth costumes. Such a shame we only saw them for a good 5 minutes.

The movie felt long at times, but I definitely enjoyed it and will see it again (this time dubbed).
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Totally agree with both of you! I just watched it and I loved it a lot and one of the reasons was Rody! I didn’t think I’d like him so much, but I was pleasantly surprised especially at the end. He is not boring. And his chemistry with Deku was like… no wonder I see so much DekuxRody ship art from Japanese fans lol. Also big same with the stealth costumes. Such a shame we only saw them for a good 5 minutes.

The movie felt long at times, but I definitely enjoyed it and will see it again (this time dubbed).

Rody was awesome. He took on a lot in his young life. Yet I did see a lot of times of a Deku/Rody ship as well. Yet me and another audience member (this was before I checked the wiki) were talking on the villan twins...he thought it was one guy and had a duplication quirk, I said it was twins.

>.> They spooked the hell out of me.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
It is a shame that this reviewer did not like the film, as I just saw it and enjoyed it better than the entirety of the most recent season of the anime — which was shocking to me as a manga fan.

The story was compelling, the soundtrack contains some of the most interesting tracks composed for the series, the animation was spectacular, and the characters were great. I also think that the reviewer is misguided: characters from MHA films can definitely reappear in the manga. So perhaps it won’t be the last time we see Rody Soul or Flect Turn.

But anyways, if you’re on the fence about this one, go see it. It’s surprisingly pleasant.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
I liked that at my theater they gave out the (translated) booklet featuring a short comic and character sketches. I didn't realize they would be giving these out outside of Japan.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
While I doubt there is anyone who will read this review not being an MHA fan already, after seeing the show last night I'd say this film is solidly for fans (only) and approaching it with any sort of critical mindset will severely lessen your enjoyment. There was copious, colorful, detailed and hyperactive action in the fights and some people were definitely into that. I saw it in a 4DX theater and it was quite a ride, albeit bumpy, but I found it distracted some from the frenetic action on-screen.

But look too closely and I think the hype rubs off somewhat and I sort of agree with Mr. Eisenbeis generally. The one thing the show did well in the introductory minutes is set a grand stage with huge stakes and tension that you could feel but that gave way to a fairly slow middle section. While they tried to get absolutely everybody you ever knew and a few I had never seen in the action, it became the Roady/Deku show with some of Todaroki/Bakugo and the rest stuffed into shots all around. If you are a MHA fan and especially of those first three characters and just go to enjoy, you shouldn't be disappointed.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
Throw me in as someone else who really liked Rody as an original character. Outside of some stunning animation sequences (seriously, there were a lot. Even the finale was not as outstanding as the canyon scene with the rotating camera or Bakugo vs the Serpenters), Rody was actually the highlight of the movie for me.

I thought his character and how he played off Deku was super endearing! I've heard some people say they wish there wasn't a last minute reveal that spoiler[Rody's father was actually good all along/forced to work for a terrorist organization] - which while expected, I can kind of agree with. I think it would have been much more impactful if Rody had the mindset he did/made the choices he made at the end spoiler[without the newfound reassurance/inspiration of his father's true motivations.]

I do think this one was my favorite of the MHA movies by a slight margin which, while not exactly a high bar as pretty but predictable JUMP movies go, is really interesting for me since I walked in with low expectations. I couldn't really get a sense of what the movie was going to be from promotional material + early reviews were all over the place in terms of general consensus. WHM felt a little more focused with less characters needing major screen time (where as both Two Heroes and especially Heroes Rising felt overly bloated and only carried by its fights), but also allowed for some breathing room which helped it stand out next to its "watch Class 1-A fight on an island for the entire runtime" predecessors. I'm sure to some a random road trip montage would feel like the movie spinning its wheels, but it offered a nice break from the action and time for you to buy Rody going as far as he did during the finale.

I don't really go into these expecting actual development for the main characters since it sort of has to fit neatly within a season of the show writing-wise and never be brought up again. It's just not a jumping off point that really allows for it. And it can just be hard to get invested when you know the story at large doesn't really matter in the long run and will have no impact. So I'm glad the new original character this time around actually got to matter and go through an arc and not just be a conduit for the plot/re-hash.

That being said, my biggest criticism is pretty much the same as most of these films: The big bad was once again, pretty weak and mainly a re-hash of a previous villain in terms of ideals/goals. Just not a very interesting foe on his own, and I thought the whole spoiler["corrupt law enforcement working in tandem with a terrorist organization"] aspect was far more interesting. I even wanted to know more about the bow and arrow girl working for Flect. Also, not so much a criticism as a comment, but spoiler[straight up half the cast should have bled out by the end (or drowned in Todoroki's case). Rody had to drag his bloody torso across the hall, I'm pretty sure Bakugo got skewered at least once, and Todoroki was underwater for like 5 minutes minimum. Even the bird almost lost her corporeal form at one point hahaha]

All in all, I would easily recommend MHA fans to go see it, if only for seeing those stunning action sequences on the big screen. Given how early reception seems to be pretty hit or miss with people (some saying its their favorite, others saying its the worst), who knows? It might surprise you at least a little bit - even for a JUMP movie.
TrainerRad164

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I know right?! Like what's the point of even having the stealth suit if they are not going to even wear it at all?!?!?! They should at least wear it for the entire film or at least the final act so that the trio could possibly use some of the suit's function. If the suits even have some.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2