• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop's John Cho is Worried About the Inevitable Comparisons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
Spike is from Mars.

And Mars is basically Space Mexico.

So I always thought Spike should be Latino.

Definitely less weird than the people who’ve claimed Spike is Jewish.

SHD wrote:
So, as far as I'm concerned if they get the mood and the character themes right, and don't mess up Vicious

How do you mess up a character that was pretty shallow and uninteresting in the source material? If anything the adaptation could stand to give Vicious along with Julia and Spike more depth to their characters and make their history with one another less vague and undefined. Which I know some people may consider sacrilegious but as pointed out by Cho in article when making an adaptation you can go you own way instead of making a 1:1 adaptation so as to stand on your own.

NiPah wrote:
I just wish they spent the money from this building a new interesting IP,

I thought people hate when companies like Netflix and Crunchyroll invest their money into original IPs since it’s not what “they” the subscriber paid for.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
juaifan wrote:
Why wouldn't people make comparisons? The only reason companies do adaptions in the first place is if they think they can do a better job than the original. It's just another example of cultural extraction in that they take what they want from a piece of foreign media (IP, story) and leave behind fairly important things they don't have the palate for (foreign actors and characters, motifs and concepts unique to the culture, etc). The only reason this exists at all is because the people in charge think this can replace or do a better job than the original anime did. Of course we're going to make comparisons and scrutinize the heck out of this.

I think that's a faulty assumption to assume that movie companies only do adaptations is because they think they can do better. I am sure some probably think this way, but I am pretty sure that the vast majority do it simply because either they think it will make money as the IP is popular, or in the case of smaller companies, or Indie companies, it's a passion project because they like the IP. I think this general idea of they think they can do better or want to "one up" the source material, or "steal mah animu!!!", are off the mark.

Whether or not they actually do produce an adequate adaptation is an entirely different topic.

Money talks. Plain and simple. And with production costs for anything these days being astronomical, the conventional wisdom to safeguard the investment is to work with an established IP that already has a built-in audience / fanbase. It's not about "doing better," it is about trying to minimize risk and guarantee an ROI (Return On Investment).
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
An anime/manga live action adaption is good in my opinion, if fans of the source material and people who have no knowledge of the source material BOTH like it.

The only one that sticks in my mind that succeeds is the Rurouni Kenshin live action movies.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

NiPah wrote:
I just wish they spent the money from this building a new interesting IP,

I thought people hate when companies like Netflix and Crunchyroll invest their money into original IPs since it’s not what “they” the subscriber paid for.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd much rather Crunchyroll make High Guardian Spice then try to make an anime styled version of Breaking Bad. It's true I'd rather Netflix just licensed an established quality movie or series instead of creating their own show of unknown quality, but the streaming market is what it is and I believe the lessor of two evils would be an original IP vs. a questionable remake of a classic anime.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
I just wish they spent the money from this building a new interesting IP, I’m always up for an interesting sci-fi flick on Netflix, but trying to convert Cowboy Bebop just is inevitably looks cartoony IMO. I’ll probably watch it out of morbid curiosity, and I’m sure the staff and cast had every intention of making an awesome show, but it was doomed from the start.
Meh I’d love to be proven wrong, but till then I’ll just stick with the original.

I agree with what you said, it's difficult to make an original IP these days, and with anime being so popular these days producers think it'll be easy just to make their own version and try to attract fans of the original due to its brand recognition as well as new fans. The thing is that most fans of the original are not interested with a live-action remake, the same thing happened with Dragon Ball Evolution and The Last Airbender. I'm trying to have an open mind with this version though, I'm not a huge Bebop fan but I'll give it a watch.
I'm actually more interested in the new Spanish dub that Funimation is making for the original anime, the original dub had a good cast but the translation was kind of weird and luckily they managed to bring back Faye's and Ed's original voice actresses, Spike is being voiced by the actor who voiced him in the movie (Spike's original actor moved to Canada when they dubbed the movie). I wonder if the international dubs for the Netflix show will bring back the original voices, in many countries the FMA movie was dubbed with the same voice cast from the anime.
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as he doesn't shit talk the fans of the series and berate them like a certain other actress then I will have zero problems with him or how the show turns out. He clearly cares about the series so if the writing is bad but he does the best he can with it then there is no reason for anyone to be upset with him. Just to insult or sarcastically take the piss out of fans of the series and character. I believe he will be fine, he seems to truly care. Now do I think that the show will be good..... only time will tell.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
My expectations for this are super low, but worries over 1:1 matching the anime or Cho's age have nothing to do with it. I don't care if the live action version changes up the story, but I'm also not going to give them bonus points for it. If they change it in a dumb way, then they might as well have taken the criticism for being a worse copy of the anime. If they have come up with an interesting twist, then I'll be excited to see it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Stevangelion wrote:
As long as he doesn't shit talk the fans of the series and berate them like a certain other actress then I will have zero problems with him or how the show turns out.

Oh you mean the actress who was getting tons of shitty comments because her breasts aren't big enough to be Faye? That her waist isn't small enough. The one who was barraged with why aren't you wearing the same skimpy outfit at a 1:1 recreation? That she obviously doesn't care and isn't fit to do the role because of it. Realistic clothing for action scenes be damned, not even taking into account the studios decision to maybe tone it down some to try and appeal to a wider audience. Nope, it's all her call on the outfit. And how dare she go for this role without DD"s. The nerve of that woman!

It's not as if it's almost always the female actors who get those sort of shitty comments while the men do not. I mean god forbid people change the precious otaku masturbation or power trip fantasies because in most cases that is exactly what it boils down to. It's not about "doing the show justice" in those situations when it's mostly just the female actors who get that treatment, and almost always when the sex appeal is toned down in any fashion.

Yea god forbid any woman speak out about that sort of treatment when simply trying to do her job and portray a character for a movie. Rolling Eyes
lightturner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
I mean god forbid people change the precious otaku masturbation or power trip fantasies because in most cases that is exactly what it boils down to. It's not about "doing the show justice" in those situations when it's mostly just the female actors who get that treatment, and almost always when the sex appeal is toned down in any fashion.

??? Isn't the point of this article about people calling John Cho too old to play Spike? Sounds like the male actors are getting complaints too.

A few posts ago you said studios aren't trying to "do better" than the original, but comments like this make it sounds like you're saying it is. Dismissing OG Faye as a 'otaku masturbation fantasy' and it's fine for the Netflix show is changing that for the better. Which one is it?

All it really seems to be is more of the same "it's okay to sexualize men, but not women" stuff from Hollywood. Or like Anime News Network's Lynzee Loveridge put it: 'this is a John Cho sex vehicle, you otaku dorks" I remember one of the promo images was a shirtless Spike. Would it be so bad that people want a sexy Faye as well or is that not allowed in your eyes?

Now they're making prequel comics and novels for this version of Bebop? It really does sound like they're trying to make this the new version of the franchise but more in line with western sensibilities. I suppose it was inevitable for anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now they're making prequel comics and novels for this version of Bebop? It really does sound like they're trying to make this the new version of the franchise but more in line with western sensibilities. I suppose it was inevitable for anime.

Tie-in material is part and parcel of any prestige television show these days, whether it's a tie in comic and novels to Stranger Things, up to and including a mobile game crossover with The Seven Deadly Sins, or Cobra Kai getting tie-in mobile games and action figure crossovers with the Ninja Turtles. That's just how prestige television tries to market itself. If DC films and animated series get tie-in material, for instance, that doesn't mean it's going to replace the main comic line. It's promotional, and a way for fans to further engage with the material.

Although the fact that the most negative conclusion was taken from what was otherwise a fairly standard MO does show that distrust the manga/anime community has of any live-action series.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
lightturner wrote:
Would it be so bad that people want a sexy Faye as well or is that not allowed in your eyes?

The morons she's talking about don't want a "sexy Faye" (not that Daniella Pineda isn't sexy). They want a fantasy pinup with body proportions that are humanly impossible and a sexualized costume that's utterly impractical.

That's not anywhere in the same ballpark as John Cho being shirtless or "too old". And it's disingenuous as hell to pretend it is.

Quote:
more in line with western sensibilities.

Yep, there's another square on the Bingo card. "They're censoring!"
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
lightturner wrote:

Cowboy Bebop was literally inspired by Watanabe's love of Western cinema.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
lightturner wrote:

Cowboy Bebop was literally inspired by Watanabe's love of Western cinema.

I really am actually excited for that. Honestly, show be damned, if I can read the novel and comic and hear Steve Blum as Spike, I am fine with that. I have wanted something new from Bebop for so long. Besides, if the show sucks, we have the anime to to back to. If this adaption "ruins" the anime for you, you never cared for the anime in the first place.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
lightturner wrote:
Would it be so bad that people want a sexy Faye as well or is that not allowed in your eyes?

The morons she's talking about don't want a "sexy Faye" (not that Daniella Pineda isn't sexy). They want a fantasy pinup with body proportions that are humanly impossible and a sexualized costume that's utterly impractical.

That's not anywhere in the same ballpark as John Cho being shirtless or "too old". And it's disingenuous as hell to pretend it is.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Not to mention if someone's primary focus is on Faye being sexy and not the acting, script, and actual performance then any claims the movie is a poor adaptation lose all credibility. You're not looking for an adaptation, you're looking for sexual fantasy material. There is also a large difference between questioning an actor's age for a role (in this case when the character he's playing is almost half his real age) and claiming an actress is a horrible chose because her boobs aren't big enough. Pretending otherwise is just bs bad faith arguing at it's finest. There's also only a fraction of people doing the same to Cho claiming that he's not buff enough, athletic enough, etc. to play Spike. Hell, the detractors are mostly just "curious" or just slightly wonder if he can pull it off, while Pineda has had dozens and dozens say she flat out is a bad choice, can't do the role at all, and just criticize everything about her simply because she ain't packing DD's in what is almost a hooker's outfit.

I mean let's be real, I love Bebop and Faye but her outfit in the show is something you'd find on a street corner after dark. If anyone wanted to say the same sort of things to him, as they have to Daniella Pineda, they'd be just as big of an ass. But people aren't leaving comments like that on his twitter by the dozens, or more, as they are to her. Anytime they dare to mess with the anime (or even just animated in general) tiddies or tone down a female character's sex even just a little bit the angry otaku come out of the cracks to complain about western values/sensibilities, censorship, not being a proper adaptation, etc. These same bs arguments came up with the Tomb Raider game reboots and the movie with Alicia Vikander.

Maybe instead of being rude and disgusting douchebags with those sorts of comments, they should wait and judge the thing by the actual performances when we see them.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
lightturner wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Not to mention if someone's primary focus is on Faye being sexy and not the acting, script, and actual performance then any claims the movie is a poor adaptation lose all credibility. You're not looking for an adaptation, you're looking for sexual fantasy material. There is also a large difference between questioning an actor's age for a role (in this case when the character he's playing is almost half his real age) and claiming an actress is a horrible chose because her boobs aren't big enough. Pretending otherwise is just bs bad faith arguing at it's finest. There's also only a fraction of people doing the same to Cho claiming that he's not buff enough, athletic enough, etc. to play Spike. Hell, the detractors are mostly just "curious" or just slightly wonder if he can pull it off, while Pineda has had dozens and dozens say she flat out is a bad choice, can't do the role at all, and just criticize everything about her simply because she ain't packing DD's in what is almost a hooker's outfit.

I mean let's be real, I love Bebop and Faye but her outfit in the show is something you'd find on a street corner after dark. If anyone wanted to say the same sort of things to him, as they have to Daniella Pineda, they'd be just as big of an ass. But people aren't leaving comments like that on his twitter by the dozens, or more, as they are to her. Anytime they dare to mess with the anime (or even just animated in general) tiddies or tone down a female character's sex even just a little bit the angry otaku come out of the cracks to complain about western values/sensibilities, censorship, not being a proper adaptation, etc. These same bs arguments came up with the Tomb Raider game reboots and the movie with Alicia Vikander.

Maybe instead of being rude and disgusting douchebags with those sorts of comments, they should wait and judge the thing by the actual performances when we see them.

While sure there are probably some people complaining about her body, most of the backlash is due to the laziness of the costume department and her reaction. For crying out loud how hard would it have been to find yellow shorts instead of black and stick a headband on her. Her comments about that the outfit would have got stuck in crevices is hypocritical as she has worn less in other acting jobs before with no problem and female WWE pro's don't seem to have that issue despite the fact they would have to do more movement than what she probably had to do as she likely isn't event doing the action scenes a stunt double probably is.

Having a leather jacket actually restricts movement despite what action movies suggest. What she is wearing is actually completely impractical for movement and I saw that as a woman who owns pretty much all the articles of clothing she is wearing in the promo photos. The original outfit has better range of movement and if you wanted to make sure of no slippage, make it out of spandex or something similar and body tape is a thing for a reason as well as the hairspray trick, and actresses and cosplayers have in the past been sewn into costumes before to make sure the outfits WILL stay on regardless of possible faults.

That's what pisses me off the most about what she said, cosplayers have been cosplaying Faye for over 20 years accurate to the original character design and she dares to say that it's impossible to do. People defend her with the "she has to do action scenes and cosplayers just pose for photos", have they never seen that cosplayers do fanfilms and recreate scenes from the anime?! Oh look it is possible, the production team was just lazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4