• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces The World Ends With You Anime's English Dub, Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Neku's original voice actor confirmed Funimation never contacted him and there were no contractual issues preventing him from reprising. Kind of a really crummy thing to do given how much remote recording they do nowadays.

Kind of wonder what happened here. Maybe they didn't want to go through any Union issues contacting some of the VA's so they didn't bother?

But then they still brought Andrew Kishino back.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Neku's original voice actor confirmed Funimation never contacted him and there were no contractual issues preventing him from reprising. Kind of a really crummy thing to do given how much remote recording they do nowadays.

Thats scummy but not surprising. Funi tends to be on and off when it comes to recasts re video games.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointed. Sure the VAs will do good, but still wish Funi did better to try to get everyone back. Feel like they are on and off when doing so.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought the TWEWY anime was a pretty decent adaption, though part of that was from having played the game already and been familiar with it. If I didn't know the game beforehand it's hard to say how I'd feel about the show, definitely needed to run two cours so the story could breath and we could get to know the characters more. That said, I definitely would have still bought it had they brought back the original English cast but hearing they they didn't even try makes it a pass. Definitely makes the long wait feel less justified if they just cast in-house in the end - and even saying 'Funi usually casts in-house' falls flat when they've hired actors from all over with the rise of in-house recording, not to mention farming dubs out to other studios.

No shade to the Funi dub cast though - I'm sure they'll do fine and at the very least we got this gem so it wasn't all bad. It's nice to see that the fandom has been welcoming so far, even if they're disappointed.

NJ_ wrote:
Could he be ficore? This would explain why he's credited and not Joshua'a VA if the latter isn't.

Without going back and looking at the cast list, I'm fairly sure that the announced voices were only those for Episode 1, so it does make sense that Joshua isn't listed. Honestly Joshua's voice changing makes me more nervous than anything, I can't imagine any other voice to the point where watching him in Japanese felt off - Aaron Spann was just perfect as Joshua.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The video game english cast not returning falls on Kyle Phillips given he's the ADR Director here this cast doesn't do much for me but its nice to see Jessica Peterson's name listed here. I may give the first dubbed episode a watch at the very least.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
According to the original dub VA for Neku, Funimation simply never contacted the cast about reprising their roles for the anime dub. I don't know what happened here since Funimation brought back the game cast for the Scarlet Nexus anime and this dub had been delayed for a long time. https://twitter.com/daviddivad/status/1438863043115507730
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Kusakabe wrote:
Primus wrote:

This really does not surprise me...
Funimation is more interested in letting its roster handle the voice acting instead of making the effort to getting old voice actors back. I wish they wouldn't license these projects in the first place...oh well.
In general the company feels like it's very "by fans for fans".

There's is an issue in voice casting in Funimation
There's a lot of Cronyism
Thus using same boring Texas voice actors
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:

How is the quality of Funimation's English dubs in general? As I said, I'm not an English speaker so I only watch anime with subs and dubbed into Neutral Spanish. Funi's first Neutral Spanish dub was My Hero Academia, which was dubbed primarily in Miami, and it was widely criticised due to its amateurish voice cast, its tendency of having actors voicing more than one character and that many actors can't hide their accents. Luckily Funi seems to have changed their strategy and anime like Attack on Titan, Fruits Basket, Kaguya-sama and Black Butler were dubbed in Mexico with more experienced voice actors. Still, it seems like they're giving their Miami studio another chance because Akudama Drive and Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU will be dubbed there.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

This does make more sense than them not having to deal with SAG/ACTRA considering Kishino is back and he's union. May very likely have been a decision on Funi's part and nothing more.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
The video game english cast not returning falls on Kyle Phillips given he's the ADR Director here.....

I had to look him up and saw that he directed Ace Attorney...

I know they tried doing right with Season 2's dub but I remember when Kyle Hebert & Sam Riegel weren't happy that they weren't contacted to reprise their roles and considering that the former was still doing Gohan for Dragon Ball Super at the time at one of the LA studios they hired for the show, it was a very bad look.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:

This is a bad move to not even contact the original cast for TWEWY but anyone who actually watches Funimaition dubs knows they do not use the same voice actors and haven't in decades. They have tons of actors with a pretty wide range of diversity and have been expanding even further with remote dubbing. Even with this TWEWY dub the majority of the cast is mostly new to doing a major role. You can criticize them for not bringing back the game cast but this notion "Funimation only has 12 voice actors!" is an obvious myth that needs to die already. And shows not contacting the original cast for something is not something unique to Funimation or even anime dubs.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
I'm more impressed that Andrew Kishino was able to reprise his role as Kariya for the anime adaptation and in a Funimation dub that is considering that Andrew is a Union-only actor and the majority of Andrew's occasional anime dub appearances have usually been Union dub productions (e.g. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Blood Prison, Baki, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, Star Wars Visions) instead of non-union dubs.

Could he be ficore? This would explain why he's credited and not Joshua'a VA if the latter isn't.

I don't think so, considering that I haven't seen Andrew Kishino in ANY non-union dub in LA and he was ALWAYS Union based, plus he's somewhat in the same boat as Fred Tatsciore, Chris Edgerly and also Jessica DiCicco, Andrew only appears in certain Union anime dubs but not EVERY Union anime dub compared to Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman and Steve Blum, plus another reason other than the payscale for anime dubbing and his preference on doing Original Animation over Anime due to the ensemble recording where they can improve, have more freedom and pays better is also their voiceover scheduling.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
So its looking like Funi has a dubious record with bring back a voice cast when it appears there's nothing stopping them from bring them back. If a lot of what these VAs say are true and they want to be on the cast, why is Funimation doing this? I would think Funimation wants to appease fans as best they can.
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Why my comment is deleted
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:

This is a bad move to not even contact the original cast for TWEWY but anyone who actually watches Funimaition dubs knows they do not use the same voice actors and haven't in decades. They have tons of actors with a pretty wide range of diversity and have been expanding even further with remote dubbing. Even with this TWEWY dub the majority of the cast is mostly new to doing a major role. You can criticize them for not bringing back the game cast but this notion "Funimation only has 12 voice actors!" is an obvious myth that needs to die already. And shows not contacting the original cast for something is not something unique to Funimation or even anime dubs.
I think u taking this as lightheaded
By same Texas voice actors I mean only Texas voice actors

And in case of The remote dubbing it is slow process and so it means they have to need more voice actors in order to dub a shows whithin schedule(obviously Sony ordered them)they need more voice actors
So They relied on outsourcing it to [ LA(Los Angeles) in Ca(California)] voice actors or sometimes LA dubbing studios

Let me explain u some unknown issues Anime English voice over industry in NA

Have u ever noticed Why Most of the Hit Funimation show's main character are voiced by only texas voice actors
Particular voice actors(and they are more in number) in Texas are not that talented and new ones in Texas entered anime voice over industry by buttering on their seniors voice actors which are also working as voice casting directors now days...
And these voice casting director mostly cast them because they don't want any outsiders(non Texas voice actors)Hence their is no competition so their is complete Cronyism that's their dub aren't up to the perfect standards...

Yes their are Veterans Texas voice actors also which are both Experienced and talented they are my favourite ones
Some of them like[ Cherami Leigh worked on various Funimation shows have moved Los Angeles because of their potential) ]
And their is lot of competition in[ LA of CA region] that's why Quality of the most of their shows are perfect
In LA and CA dubbing studios like Bang Zoom/Nyav post/VSI and etc.

There was once a time when Funimation used to do audition for English dubbing of Hit shows like Attack on Titan (that's why u can found major amount of LA and talented Texas voice actors)

Their is no competition in voice casting these Texas voice actors they are like family to them so it means total Cronyism
(I think the issue it won't change because the founder of this company Gen Fukunaga which is now working as chairman still have control over that and support this family thing and it's also cheap cost in dubbing ) now they have monopoly in Anime voice over industry too..

After the acquisition of crunchyroll by Sony's Funimation global group
Some well known established voice actors even have showed their concerns that " will they consider producing anime dubs under union contracts? "
Link to their post about this
1 https://t.co/fHczCdu6E6
2 https://t.co/hOG89eEvwY

Believe it or not Funimation has monopoly Anime voice over industry (they only want to use mostly Texas voice actors only as much as possible)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3