• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu Yu Hakusho: Does it Hold Up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakushow is one of the few Animes that has a tournament ark that I like. Mostly because the characters are all so entertaining.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I get that most of the articles on this site are just transcriptions of mediocre YouTube videos now but leaving in the like and subscribe crap at the end is just tacky.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I get that most of the articles on this site are just transcriptions of mediocre YouTube videos now but leaving in the like and subscribe crap at the end is just tacky.

We post one YouTube video a week that includes a transcription. That's the only content that fits your description. Also, you've already left this same comment on a previous video article before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

Tacky, you mean like showing up in discussions just to make baseless complaints about things that are not even relevant to the discussion, and ignoring the actual topic? You get a gold star for that.

Personally I have always liked YYH better than HxH. There are some truly amazing fight scenes and storylines in Hunter, but I think YYH is more consistently good. Hunter has some big dips and rises with quality in my opinion, where as YYH sticks to a more consistent pace and quality.

Speaking of quality I would still take YYH over most newer shonen titles. Dr Stone. Black Clover. HxH itself. Those are just a few examples, but there's very few battle shonen shows I would rate above YYH to this day. Two aspects I always enjoyed about YYH, that set it apart from many other similar shows, is I felt it had a more involved, and fleshed out, casts of supporting characters. It also had more interesting and complex villains. Sensui and Toguro remain 2 of my favorite villains from a shonen show.

Can you imagine though if you took YYH, but gave it say the ufotable animation treatment? Imagine how glorious those fights could be.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Was it true that the final arc and the last chapters of the manga were when he started having health issues? If that's true, he still managed to end them brilliantly IMO in a strangely satisfying way.

I think the anime could have added more original stories, but by then the series has already gone pretty long. Besides, I'll never forget how satisfying the anime ending was.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Bah, come on...

We never got to know what a duel to the dead with knives was.

Worst anime ever.
DaResidentDouche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Was it true that the final arc and the last chapters of the manga were when he started having health issues?

I think he started having the health issues long before that. I think (he mentioned in an interview) the earliest health related issues he had was when he was drawing the yusuke vs chu.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I am just re-reading it again now that the manga is being republished here in Mexico with the "perfect edition" and..

Idk, it's just as I remembered but the power scaling is totally off (especially in the sagas before the Last Chapter).

There's even a part wher Team Urameshi even has to fight like two rounds in a row in the Dark Tournament AND they also get handicapped in that only Yusuke and Kurama (And later Kuwabara) fight?

Ok, I know Urameshi is later to be revealed to have some demon blood or whatever, but Kuwabara beating the ninja leader just because of a gag with Yukina really pulled out from my experience...

What should have been a cool fight just became a gag, it's like Togashi just wanted to get to the Toguro fight as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun series, but a lot of times Togashi makes characters beat other characters that are supposedly very strong as gags, which I didn't like much.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well of course it holds up that's a no brainer one of my favorite shows in general on a side note the dub has aged beautifully as well they truly don't make them like this anymore.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Hakusho when I read it a couple of years ago, but I feel like it has a lot of elements that Togashi improved on in HxH.The fact that Togashi can create two distinctly great shonen manga proves his talent though. I should check out Level E.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I really liked Hakusho when I read it a couple of years ago, but I feel like it has a lot of elements that Togashi improved on in HxH.The fact that Togashi can create two distinctly great shonen manga proves his talent though. I should check out Level E.

HxH gets a fair bit of credit for exploring gender ideas, but reading the manga--specifically Togashi's notes and comments on the work, and what he was thinking--it's clear he's been fascinated by those concepts for a while. I think, in this respect and others, there's therefore a lot of value in going back to reread YYH after HxH.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2