• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha, 3 Other Publishers to Sue Pirate Manga Site Manga Bank Following California Court De

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Ha, I wish I could support Funimation. They don't want my filthy foreigner money.

As for releasing before official release, I agree, this is asking to be hit with book of law, it's clear and obvious damage to publisher's interest. There was a case too, when one pirate site made smartphone app, so people looking for manga app could end up in their app instead of official. They went down hard after getting hit with lawsuit.

FUNimation would love your money, they can't get it because another company own the copyright of it
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Shaddy_Pl wrote:
Now tell me. If I read manga online from illegal sites, and then buy official release, when it comes to my country, is it good or bad? I read illegal, to be up to date with story, and buy physical copy, to support official release.

Piracy is still piracy no matter how you look at it. Even if you go back and buy the official release, the damage is, arguably, already done. I mean, you wouldn't rob a bank, take the money and run only to give it back a month later, would you? An extreme example, I know, but it still illustrates the point.

I'm not going to act like I'm a patron saint since I'm a scanlator, but I do support the artist every step of the way I can (their serialization and compilation volumes) since the chance of a license on the material doesn't stand a snowball chance in hell anyway.

I think you compare two different things.
Let's say, You wrote a book. Your example with bank robbery would make sense, if I would stole physical copy from bookstore.
But, if I read that book (or part of it) as an illegal PDF, but like it so much, that I will buy this book, and even next one you will write, then it's Your profit and new reader.

Illegal scanlation and translation is a kind of free ad for not well know manga outside Japan. When I read something that I like, on illegal source, and then it shows legally in my country, I bought it, because I know it's good.

With Japan publisher, problem is, they don't care too much about readers outside Japan. They only care about their domestic market. Their way of thinking is "It's my and that is saint. I don't care if You are like it in Europe or US. But if you steal from me, I will not forgive You". So they don't care if You can read it legally in Your country. But You can't read it illegaly.

Shueisha going in good way, with their Manga Plus site, when you can read 3 first chapters, and read some new one. But not everyone. Just popular one. But what about Kodansha or Shogakukan?
Some may have think "in modern world, with internet, you can read e-book", and then he hits a wall with big word "license agreement".
Last thing is language barrier. Not everyone knows english or japanese. So even if something is legally, but is in english, still is impossible to read. And illegal sites with translation on other language help them.

So reading legally manga is not that easy. If not Japan mentally, they could make world wide platform with all the titles, and subscription. Like Netflix, HBO or Amazon Prime with movies and series. I would gladdly paid for it, and probably many other too.
I stoped watching pirate movies, when Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime come to my country. It's cheap, comparet to content it have.
Fighting with something is better with making legal way easy than by aggresion.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Ha, I wish I could support Funimation. They don't want my filthy foreigner money.

As for releasing before official release, I agree, this is asking to be hit with book of law, it's clear and obvious damage to publisher's interest. There was a case too, when one pirate site made smartphone app, so people looking for manga app could end up in their app instead of official. They went down hard after getting hit with lawsuit.

FUNimation would love your money, they can't get it because another company own the copyright of it

I mean I can't even access the site, not too mention creating an account. Crunchyroll has like half of it's titles "Sorry, not available in your country" despite me paying the same amount money as Americans for less content, but at least I get something out of them, and most of new titles are available everywhere. Same with Netflix. FUNimation for me is one 404-like page. Can't they really find anything they could license worldwide?
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
If you want to get your anime and read your manga from "pirate" (a term I strongly disagree with) sources-that's fine but don't tell me about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2