• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saudi Arabia's MiSK Foundation Now Owns 96.18% Stake in SNK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vampiyan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Forget the lone journalist. The Saudi government is responsible for genocide in Yemen. One journalist is peanuts in comparison.

Aren't the US and the UK governments are backing and supporting that as well? It sounds like people who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones here. No government is perfect, but what's ultimately important is what's best for the developers and gaming community. As long as they don't alter the games for the worse then I'm perfectly fine with this.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
As long as they don't alter the games for the worse then I'm perfectly fine with this.
The Saudi government publicly hangs people for being gay and you're trying to spin them as anti-censorship?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Forget the lone journalist. The Saudi government is responsible for genocide in Yemen. One journalist is peanuts in comparison.

Aren't the US and the UK governments are backing and supporting that as well? It sounds like people who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones here. No government is perfect, but what's ultimately important is what's best for the developers and gaming community. As long as they don't alter the games for the worse then I'm perfectly fine with this.
'

Mohammed Bin Salman had a journalist assassinated because said journalist was critical of the Saudi government. Salman is pro censorship in the most heinous way possible because he couldn't take criticism. He is a monster.
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I don't know where you got this idea. PS4 is actually the best version of the game currently. PS5 has too much input lag, XBox is a graveyard, and PC is rife with issues with much of it being related to matchmaking.

Ah, I didn't know the PS4 version is different from PS5. I thought the input lag was a general Playstation thing

Last edited by livin_large on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
z3r0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the childhood memories SNK. I almost purchased KoF XV the other day when it went on sale. However, I refuse to support a country who proudly murders LGBTQ people because it's a "sin" against (their) religion, practices modern slavery (eg: Southeast Asians), refuses to assist refugees in the Middle East despite being one of the richest countries in the world, oppresses women's rights, and can order an assassination without facing consequences or having their victims look ridiculous in their kangaroo courts.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It really does bear repeating that he ordered Jamal Khashoggi’s murder. But hey, more KOF, so whatever, right?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
It really does bear repeating that he ordered Jamal Khashoggi’s murder. But hey, more KOF, so whatever, right?

He had a journalist assassinated for criticizing him, but let's not forget the real victims of censorship: gamers who want to see a tiddy.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
So, does this mean I'm not allowed to like KOF XV anymore? This really sucks....

No one else should be in charge of what you do with your life. Like whatever you like and don't let other people dictate your choices. I'll still continue to enjoy and support KoF and other SNK franchises. If people don't want to that is their own choice and they're free to do so, but they're missing out on some amazing games in recent years.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
I guess he is exploiting the Middle Eastern stereotype about the Japanese being weak and subservant to anyone powerful enough, like the Americans, something that doesn't help SNK at all.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I guess he is exploiting the Middle Eastern stereotype about the Japanese being weak and subservant to anyone powerful enough, like the Americans, something that doesn't help SNK at all

SNK is thriving better than it has been in years and it's all because of this guy. Pretty much every company MBS invested in is doing great. Like him or hate him; he's successful. If he genuinely cares about SNK to the point of basically owning it outright then hopefully that's a sign of good things to come for the company. A few people might be upset over his actions and politics but the vast majority of people are not going to care since it doesn't affect them.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:34 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
A few people might be upset over his actions and politics

His actions, again, include having a journalist assassinated for criticizing him.

I think you're kinda burying that lede.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:58 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
SNK is thriving better than it has been in years and it's all because of this guy.

You do know that he only now actually bought majority control of SNK, right? SNK's upswing started back in 2016 with KOF XIV, right as Leyou Technologies & 37Games in China bought the company from Eikichi Kawasaki, and literally everything between then & MSB owning 96.18% of the company (i.e. KOF XIV, the Neo Geo Mini & plug-&-play, Samurai Shodown 7, Terry Bogard being in Smash Bros. & Fighting EX Layer, KOF XV, etc.) was actually all because of the Chinese owners, not MSB. In fact, the only thing by SNK that came out after MSB even purchased any of SNK (i.e. the ~33% back in November of 2020) was KOF XV.

Man, people are already trying their hardest to rewrite history.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
I guess he is exploiting the Middle Eastern stereotype about the Japanese being weak and subservant to anyone powerful enough, like the Americans, something that doesn't help SNK at all

SNK is thriving better than it has been in years and it's all because of this guy. Pretty much every company MBS invested in is doing great. Like him or hate him; he's successful. If he genuinely cares about SNK to the point of basically owning it outright then hopefully that's a sign of good things to come for the company. A few people might be upset over his actions and politics but the vast majority of people are not going to care since it doesn't affect them.

SNK is doing better now, but as far as the Arabs are concerned, they're probably seen as being as a Japanese company willing to lick anyone's boots for money, even from people like MBS.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It is best for the CEO's pockets, this won't help the gaming community or developers. It only helps the rich, gets richer
Also, they will alter the games, it happened went WWE (and they don't own them yet). They will have games that saying Saudi Arabia is a great country.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
vampiyan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It is best for the CEO's pockets, this won't help the gaming community or developers. It only helps the rich, gets richer
Also, they will alter the games, it happened went WWE (and they don't own them yet). They will have games that saying Saudi Arabia is a great country.

well,so far,they haven't told SNK to cover up Mai(and the day they do...).It would actually be interesting if SNK try to sneak up a LGBT character in a KOF and see what would happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3