• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Hachimitsu's dry wit competes with Inuzuka's generous awareness and consideration for his friend as highlights of this series for me.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hachimitsu: "I want to lounge around at someone's house with the AC blasting."

Yeah, watching everyone standing on the roof in the hot sun, this is what I'd rather do.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It's time for Summer! Which means Summer fun and Izumi getting attacked by cicada's.

It was nice to see more of the friend group together and seeing how considerate/helpful they are towards each other. Like Inuzuka being Bakugo mixed with Iida while Izumi and Hachimitsu are considerate of each other.

It's not often we get the girl looking forward to seeing the boy in a swimsuit, but I think Shikimori wants to see Izumi shirtless...

I love how Izumi's take away from that poster of a woman in a sexy bikini was her abs while Shikimori thought he was admiring the skimpiness of the swimsuit. I was kind of hoping we'd see her try it on but that might be a bit too much. I can't wait to see what swimsuit she bought...

Nekozaki has good taste in women. Nothing solidifies female friendship quite like sports!

Shikimori is such a chad girlfriend but Izumi can turn her into a blushing mess with his sweet walk. Their starlight conversation and Shikimori kicking in bed after his romantic line was absolutely adorable.

So Shikimori seduces Motoko and now Motoko seduces Shikimori. When your girlfriend seduces your mother and your mother seduces her back.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Haven't had time to watch this yet, but the manga this is based on is genuinely charming. If there's one thing to complain about, it would be progress for the main couple, spoiler[at 144 chapters, a kiss on the cheek is about the farthest they've gone yet...]

That's pretty bad for a story where they are allegedly already a couple lol I think we got more from even Nagatoro.
Yeah, I think we actually got that in chapter 4 of Nagatoro. They actually had to move the scene to the end of the season cause it happened so quick. That said, Nagatoro is one of the faster rom-coms when it comes to making the relationship move
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I love how they were all happy that for once Izumi's bad luck didn't ruin something for them. Like, really, the only time it came up was after he saved that girl, but luckily Shikimori is an expert diver and swimmer.

Everyone going "oh no, Izumi's got a knife!" but he can actually cook and for once that knife goes into the food and not himself.

Shikimori is perfect and capable in all things, but she still has a way to go in terms of cooking. But her wanting to improve so she can make something Izumi can eat is pretty cute.

Shikimori wants to devour something, and I don't think it's just Izumi's sweets...

Hachimitsu was the epitome of mood in this episode.

Nekozaki's black bikini was sporty and showed off her ample Nekozaki's quite well, and Hachimitsu's bikini was very cute.

Shikimori's swimsuit was very her in terms of being practical yet also sexy, and that scene of her scolding Izumi while wet and with her bikini top prominently displayed along with her hair covering her eye...was quite the sight.

I love how Shikimori's is jealous of a little girl (played by the same singer of the Ending) stealing a kiss on Izumi's cheek and is always jealous of Inuzuka, who ends up stealing an indirect kiss from her.

Look at that mutual napping on each others' shoulders! And Shikimori caressing Izumi's hair! It was adorable.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Haven't had time to watch this yet, but the manga this is based on is genuinely charming. If there's one thing to complain about, it would be progress for the main couple, spoiler[at 144 chapters, a kiss on the cheek is about the farthest they've gone yet...]

I'm pretty sure that isn't true spoiler[Don't they kiss on the mouth in chapter 100?]
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:43 am Reply with quote
This week's Shikimori was easily the best thus far, and as expected, that all hinged on the gimmick of Izumi's bad luck, which was either smartly employed or nonexistent the whole episode. Izumi taking advantage of his universal misfortune to guarantee a perfect day weather-wise? Him being bad luck-free in the kitchen compared to his mother and her woefully poor grip? Shikimori actually taking the L at least once? More of that, please.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
Shikimori struggling to put on her yukata and having to watch a how-to video was probably the most relatable scene in an anime ever. Like we always see girls just wearing their yukata like it's no problem, but it's probably more believable that they'd need help putting it on or some kind of direction. And it led to a nice moment with her older brother even if he made one comment too many.

When an entire group of friends all wear yukata! And they all looked great.

Shikimori being an excellent markswoman is probably the least surprising thing I've seen. Although I was expecting they'd get everything she shot at.

Shikimori has some great gal pals who can keep her eyes on the prize and not so focused on competing with Inuzuka at a game she doesn't quite have the dexterity for.

The only thing more classic than a festival episode is the Heroine having geta trouble. But it gave Izumi a perfect opportunity to step up and piggyback his girlfriend to the ideal spot for watching fireworks.

Izumi's dad is the best. Gives his son great dating tips, chills out with his wife to watch fireworks and watch his son get all lovey-dovey with his girlfriend, and then saves both of them when they're about to tumble.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I did not read Kamiya's interactions as interested in Shikimori, save in a secondary manner. I read them as interested in Izumi- especially in concert with the dirty look she gave Shikimori (who was talking to Izumi,) at the end of the volleyball match. There was, I thought, an implication that she chose this particular library shift in part to interact with him specifically, as she enjoyed doing previously.

Still, I've been wrong about such things before. Would not be shocking to be wrong again.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
I'm pretty sure that isn't true spoiler[Don't they kiss on the mouth in chapter 100?]

spoiler[That is the chapter referenced in ch144. It is in this chapter(ch144) we learn it was a kiss...on the cheek.]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I did not read Kamiya's interactions as interested in Shikimori, save in a secondary manner. I read them as interested in Izumi- especially in concert with the dirty look she gave Shikimori (who was talking to Izumi,) at the end of the volleyball match. There was, I thought, an implication that she chose this particular library shift in part to interact with him specifically, as she enjoyed doing previously.

That's how I read those interactions as well --- particularly with the ending setting up the parallel of the shared numbers with Kamiya and Izumi this time around. But that might just might be mental habit on my part causing me to overlook other possible interpretations (Kamiya, for example, doesn't appear to have acted on the coincident numbers, or even given them any thought).
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:31 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I did not read Kamiya's interactions as interested in Shikimori, save in a secondary manner. I read them as interested in Izumi

Me too. Unless I am reading romcom tropes wrong, I think the final "joke" is the opposite of LAWD's.
Desumi makes Fudo think that Hojo has a crush on him, as -to her- he's great.
Izumi thinks Kamiya has a crush on Shikimori, as -to him- she's great.
OldDirtyBastard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:48 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
b-dragon wrote:
I did not read Kamiya's interactions as interested in Shikimori, save in a secondary manner. I read them as interested in Izumi

Me too. Unless I am reading romcom tropes wrong, I think the final "joke" is the opposite of LAWD's.
Desumi makes Fudo think that Hojo has a crush on him, as -to her- he's great.
Izumi thinks Kamiya has a crush on Shikimori, as -to him- she's great.

I agree Kamiya did not come across as queer or interested in Shikimori. The story hints that Kamiya as having the same number indicates that she is interested in Izumi as well.
spoiler[In Ch. 48 of the manga she admits her feelings for Izumi]
Birriaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:

Still, I've been wrong about such things before. Would not be shocking to be wrong again.

Same here, not really sure where the reviewer is getting Kamiya is queer from when at the very end we even learn that she has Izumi’s number, which just makes the point that she’s into him, not Shikimori. Also, aren’t Shikimori and Kamiya arguing about something in the opening montage? It seemed pretty clear to me that this was more of a rivalry over Izumi rather anything romantic. But I guess people will see whatever they want to see…
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
b-dragon wrote:

Same here, not really sure where the reviewer is getting Kamiya is queer from when at the very end we even learn that she has Izumi’s number, which just makes the point that she’s into him, not Shikimori. Also, aren’t Shikimori and Kamiya arguing about something in the opening montage? It seemed pretty clear to me that this was more of a rivalry over Izumi rather anything romantic. But I guess people will see whatever they want to see…

The reviewer probably latched on to Izumi's misunderstanding; he currently thinks Kamiya's interested in Shikimori since she started by asking about her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4