• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Totally Spy×Family

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yanqui9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This is such an awesome show/manga/anime/IP! I love the faux-1960s totally shagadellic Cold War setting. I think though my favorite thing is Anya's character. Sure, she's a telepath but she's portrayed as a genuine little kid. Too often in any TV show or anime (Japanese or Western) children are often portrayed as adults in children's skins, or author avatars, or just acting really unlike children really act.

Anya is a refreshingly accurate portrayal of a young child. She cries, she schemes to help her 'daddy', her telepath power is often negated because she cannot understand much of the adult vibes she gets from the elders around her or she misinterprets things (often to hilarious results). Anya gets hungry, she gets tired out, and the anxiety she feels about wanting to keep her situation really hits home for those who were in similar delicate circumstances in their childhood. I would even say probably a little too close to home for people who were adopted. Anya isn't a genius or the chosen one, she's an adorable little kid who specializes in that old saying "kids say the darndest things."

There's some criticism about Yor's character who seems to be purely for comedy relief but I can tell you from reading the manga, she does get substantial character development later on and doesn't stay doing pratfalls for laughs for long.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked up the manga for this and then saw the anime. Its an awesome story!
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:38 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

Lastly, on an anecdotal level I can say this show seems to have that rare ability to connect with non-anime fans. SPYxFAMILY is 100% deserving of all the praise its getting and every episode leaves me with a giant smile on my face.

Agreed! My wife is a not a big anime fan by any means, but I got her hooked on Spy x Family to where she bugs me every week about when the next episode will air. It definitely has a very broad appeal to it.

Shay Guy wrote:
"I heard if you do good enough in the dodgeball game, they'll give you three Stella Stars! Three Stellas, would you believe it, Becky?"
"That's pretty hard to believe."
"…Would you believe one?"
"Uh-uh."
"What about a headpat from the housemaster?"

Oh this makes this old Get Smart fan very happy...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2