• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 90s American Live-Action Sailor Moon Pilot Has Finally Gone Public

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Knowing all the other weird cartoons I still watch, I know I'd still have watched this. I mean... I still LOVE stupid moronic Super Mario Super Show for the idiot live-action skits within it... Ironically, I recall more of the live-action garbage than the animated sections.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I would get to finally see this after all these years. I had just assumed the copies were with Toei or were all destroyed. They deserve some investigative journalist award for this amazing find. I'm glad we got the version of Sailor Moon we ended up getting as the DiC dub was my gateway anime. I think I would probably still have gotten into anime but it would have been a very different path and the DiC Sailor Moon was important in helping anime and specifically shojo anime more mainstream in the US. Knowing my tastes as a kid, I still would have loved the Toon Makers Sailor Moon and seeing it now I don't think it's all that bad. I appreciate the diverse cast and the animation looks surprisingly good and fluid for the budget they're working on and I love the 80s She-Ra vibe of it all. Something I especially like about it was that it actually focused more on battles in outer space which Sailor Moon rarely did much of it in spite of girls in space being the whole theme of the show. I also kind of like Sailor Jupiter being the nerdy girl and Mercury is "the original party girl" and that they mixed things up like that instead of following the original girls' personalities exactly. I'm glad we got the anime we did but you can tell they put a lot of love into this and you feel bad for them this didn't get picked up. I wish they could have just retooled this without the Sailor Moon elements and made it into it's own show. Like DiC did with Inspector Gadget when the American Lupin pilot fell through.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, it would be interesting now to see a "(Cancelled U.S. TV)" page here right now.
Just talking.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ray Mona has posted just the pilot which runs about 10 mins 18 secs here:

https://youtu.be/uA2VOuqaOnk
ForeverPurity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
… I think I can appreciate the Dic dub a lot more knowing it could have been this monstrosity.

This, just this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
How crazy! I happened upon this youtuber a while back and watched her documentary looking for this pilot - how great for her that she was finally able to find it. Looking forward to watching this later even if it isn't exactly quality.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
it seems like the distributors seriously thought that anime was unmarketeable in the U.S., which I don't think is true considering Robotech and Voltron were pretty successful.

Sure if you ignore the fact those series were bastardized/edited to such an extent they’re completely different shows from their original concepts.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a product of its time.

Take that how you will. lol
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
My friend sent me the video last night... I am so glad that this didn't happen... Especially since Sailor Moon was the thing that got me into Anime...

Now that I think about the world would probably be a different place if they went with this instead of the dub...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
This is a huge deal. I’ve wanted to watch the pilot for a long time.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched one version of just the episode (wasn't going to sit through hours of commentary) and loved that the person who added it used the scan of my cel without the credit for their preview pic. I thought the young'uns were against that sort of thing? lol

I laughed the entire time at the sheer 90s stupidity of this pilot. My favorite parts where Prince Darien was emotionless when Sailor Moon mentioned they had to rescue the royal families and when Mercury declared herself the original party girl. It reminded me of a lot of the 90s cartoons that aired in the US (looking at you, Captain Planet) and why I originally started watching anime in the first place. It did answer my question as to why the US Sailor Moon transformation brooch looked so different from the Japanese versions. The actress playing Sailor Moon puts a ring into it to transform.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I'd come to consider the DIC/Cloverway dub to be the lesser of evils regarding Sailor Moon yet here we are. Thank all the gods, that this abomination only remained a pilot that was buried in the deepest obscurity until now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, "Saban" Moon, the history behind how it happened was a complete journey for many in the anime and Sailor Moon's western fandom.

I never thought this once lost pilot would be forever lost and would eventually to be found later, but now thanks to the hard work of Raven "Raymona" Simone (Ray, if you're reading this, your hard work will be remembered amongst anime fandom everywhere), it paid off and look where we are now. Well, the pilot is no longer lost and now everybody including new Sailor Moon fans can watch this, I want that lost pilot preserve for future anime fans to study the history of Sailor Moon and anime history in general. I'm glad we now can be able to view the lost pilot in full glory. This seem to be a great year for lost media which include anime being found and also being discussed.

I hope Viz Media could include this US pilot in the future re-release of Sailor Moon blu-ray as a special feature (maybe Sailor Moon R/2nd season future BD re-release could accommodate that) given Season 1 has just been re-released back in June and beside sporting a new and superior HD, & they included a interview not found in the previous Viz's blu-ray release. Maybe the re-release of Sailor Moon R: complete 2nd season Blu-ray should include Toon Maker's pilot as a special feature.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. The Toonmaker's version of Sailormoon is so cringe and so early 1990s it's hilarious. Laughing

But I have to give credit for the American makers for making the girls more diverse and having a wheelchair user.

And kudos to Ray Mona for finding the original pilot episode. To think it was in the library of Congress all this time.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
You know for years they said this was 17 minutes but it looks like it is only just over 10 mins. I was trying to figure out where the 17 minutes figure comes from, I don't see it in the old June 2001 Anime Fringe interview with Rocky Solotoff. Most likely this was just someone mis-remembering but I do wonder if and additional 7 minutes were scripted and shot then dropped from the demo reel?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3