• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Devil Is a Part-Timer!! Anime Gets Sequel in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
*S1 air and is good and well liked*
Exec1: "Should we do a second season?"
Exec2: "Nah, why bother, sequel generally lose audience, its not worth it."

*8 years later*
E2: "You know what, lets do it"

*S2 air and is neither particularly good nor well liked*
E2: "S3 baby!" *do massive line of coke*

I will never understand this industry.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
*S1 air and is good and well liked*
Exec1: "Should we do a second season?"
Exec2: "Nah, why bother, sequel generally lose audience, its not worth it."

*8 years later*
E2: "You know what, lets do it"

*S2 air and is neither particularly good nor well liked*
E2: "S3 baby!" *do massive line of coke*

I will never understand this industry.

Producers only viewed anime as advertisements for the product that they were trying to sell eight years ago. Today, anime is considered profitable (at least for the production committee) and every company is scraping the bottom of their barrel for IPs they can adapt and The Devil is a Part Timer has at least a positive impression from audiences and is a completed series, which means there's more content to adapt. This isn't as mysterious or confusing as some of you guys make it seem. It's the same reason some companies (like Kadokawa, who produces this exact series) are committing to 40 series a year.

Also, judging by the timing of this announcement, they decided to do another cour either before production even began, or while the show was in production, so the audience's reaction probably had little to do with it.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Producers only viewed anime as advertisements for the product that they were trying to sell eight years ago. Today, anime is considered profitable (at least for the production committee) and every company is scraping the bottom of their barrel for IPs they can adapt

Shifting the mindset of anime is a means to an end to anime is profitable on its own for senior leadership at the big companies and the Production Committee in general will take time. But I do think Devil is a Part-Timer is a good example that things are changing, albeit very slowly. And I do agree that this continuation was probably greenlit before this recent season finished. Split cour is good for the production cycle.

Here is my hope for Genbu Kaiden to be adapted.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, S2 was no where near as good as S1 but I still have enough affection for the franchise to look forward to S3.
Viren21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 pm Reply with quote
This is quite surprising even though i didn't watch the 2nd season. I guess they want to finish at least Emilia's troubles with Maou (the reason why she hates him due to her father's death). Since 2nd season primarily focused more on the angels as the primary antagonists and the truth behind Alas Ramus and her siblings plus the two entity that governs the world the landlady and the woman at the beach.
3rd season should be the one you all should watch Smile
Dragneel9843

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:30 am Reply with quote
is Acieth Alla, Alas Ramus sister?
Viren21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:52 am Reply with quote
Dragneel9843 wrote:

yes her younger sister
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
I won't pull any punches on this: season 2 was a disappointment. The story moved at a glacial pace, the characters came off as reactive and the season lacked a unified direction for the vast majority of its runtime. Even if season 3 turns out to be better, does that really justify a mediocre season 2? I personally don't think so.

I genuinely hope season 3 is better and if it's not, I can always have fun tearing it to pieces.

The "glacial pace" was actually fast compared to the novel version. (This is, unfortunately, a problem for much of the rest of the novel series.)

I wholly disagree with the "lack of unified direction for the vast majority of its runtime" criticism, though. The farm interlude was, IMO, redundant, but the other 10 episodes are slowly building the franchise's main plot. If you want to instead criticize the story for not being tightly-plotted, that's more fair, but the original writer's style is to wander through over-dramatized mundanity while still throwing out little tidbits of plot.

AP24 wrote:

Based on the description from this tweet https://twitter.com/anime_maousama/status/1575500647314628608, Ente Isla arc (Vol 8-10) will be adapted so it’s possible there will be a third cour.

If the next season speeds through novel 6 (which wouldn't be hard) and skips the short stories vol. 7 that haven't already been animated (none of which are crucial to the overall plot), then the adaptation could get through vol. 10 in just one cour. That would be a bit faster pace than I'd prefer to see for vol. 8-10, but it could be done without losing too much.

Viren21 wrote:
Dragneel9843 wrote:

yes her younger sister

Kinda-sorta. The particulars are a bit more complicated, but explaining more would get deeper into spoiler territory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2