• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime Streams on Hulu in U.S., Disney+ Internationally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Disney + lite it is. Now people can stop saying it's not Disney +. Smile

Hulu in the U.S. Disney+ everywhere else.

Hence "Disney + lite"...? Neutral Hulu is Disney.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Is this the first Anime on D+?

No. They have Future Avengers (the follow up show to Disk Wars) on D+ iirc.
Ninten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
After everything with mob psycho controversy on Crunchyroll because of their overlords at Sony SonyPictures I’m happy DisneyPlus was able to grab this Very Happy
Context: http://4NN.cx/.189948
It's really crazy to me how important dubs are to americans. I thought something actually important happened
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
After everything with mob psycho controversy on Crunchyroll because of their overlords at Sony SonyPictures I’m happy DisneyPlus was able to grab this Very Happy
It's really crazy to me how important dubs are to americans. I thought something actually important happened

People being paid a living wage and receiving benefits is generally considered important, yeah
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Bleach a bit way too inappropriate for Disney of all things?
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Having forced myself to finish the re-watch with dismal quality and the tragedy that is the Fullbringer Arc, I'm looking forward to more story with better quality.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:

It's not just the dubs. The people who translate and subtitle the shows (you know, the ones who make the shows accessible at all to an international audience) are paid in peanuts, and they're not even credited for their work (Crunchyroll used to credit their translators in a show's info page, but they stopped doing that years ago).

Meanwhile, Crunchyroll is upping their subscription costs, but not increasing pay to any of the people who actually produce the subs and dubs they stream. Just more money to line the pockets of Sony bigwigs.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Assuming Disney got this through bidding war, this somehow proves that Crunchy's pocket depth is not unlimited and they can only afford so many high-profile (read: uber-high licensing fees) shows at the same time. Sure, Chainsaw Man (and SxF) is a massive online buzz generator, but let's not pretend Bleach isn't one either.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Assuming Disney got this through bidding war, this somehow proves that Crunchy's pocket depth is not unlimited and they can only afford so many high-profile (read: uber-high licensing fees) shows at the same time. Sure, Chainsaw Man (and SxF) is a massive online buzz generator, but let's not pretend Bleach isn't one either.

Ironically, both Chainsaw Man and Spy x Family will also be simulcasting on Hulu as well.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

Yeah, there's set budgets for a reason.

It makes me wonder the amount of money they need to recover to grab other high-profile animes.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

Ironically, both Chainsaw Man and Spy x Family will also be simulcasting on Hulu as well.

Those are still CR's license and last time I checked they still have that ongoing deal where Hulu will stream select titles from CR. That's just additional revenue for CR through sublicensing.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this outcome as it still insures a simulcast and the OG dub cast is also coming back. The one frustrating thing about this is it means the new season of Bleach likely won't be on Toonami but I'm also fine with more streaming options besides just Crunchyroll and HiDive. Now this just makes it more baffling why they haven't streamed Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter in the US yet if Hulu was always an option.

Quote:
No. They have Future Avengers (the follow up show to Disk Wars) on D+ iir
More recently they're streaming Yugioh Sevens on Hulu which is also airing on Disney X D in the US.
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It was kind of obvious that it will be Hulu. Not only they kept full Bleach series while Crunchyroll took down theirs, they also have experience with multiple anime simulcast before including Demon Slayer s2 and they will avoid censoring concerns since Hulu is adult oriented as compared to Disney+.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm fine with this outcome as it still insures a simulcast and the OG dub cast is also coming back. The one frustrating thing about this is it means the new season of Bleach likely won't be on Toonami but I'm also fine with more streaming options besides just Crunchyroll and HiDive. Now this just makes it more baffling why they haven't streamed Summer Time Rendering and Black Rock Shooter in the US yet if Hulu was always an option.

Quote:
No. They have Future Avengers (the follow up show to Disk Wars) on D+ iir
More recently they're streaming Yugioh Sevens on Hulu which is also airing on Disney X D in the US.

I think it's because Viz Media called the shot on when to simulcast it.

And the rest Disney seems content to go with the Netflix route.
Mizerous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
Anime has gotten more popular in the states.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4