• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Chris Pratt Meets The Banana Slamma

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo: Ah. Beat 'em ups. That's the term I would have understood more easily. Personally, I don't think I've ever heard the term "brawler" being used for a game before. With the tone of the article, it sounded more like a rude dismissal rather than a question of what type of game it is. Especially after I had looked up Sifu, and it seemed more like an odd mix of the two.

Either way, I do like the points you make, but yes, that also kinda reinforces my stance that genres should have more direct terms rather than just let the Street Fighters of the world adapt "fighting games" as if that was just how it is. Because you're right. Call of Duty IS a shooter when you look at it like that. But a First Person Shooter works quite differently from a more arcade-styled scrolling shooter, but we already have those terms to describe each of them. (To say nothing of mixing genres and how that would affect them to becoming a part of an award show, but that's a whole ballpark on its own.)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
What Karma?
The kind that says that Pratt will always be seen as the guy who can't voice a video game character or just can't voice act at all.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The kind that says that Pratt will always be seen as the guy who can't voice a video game character or just can't voice act at all.

From what I remember people praised him pretty well as Emmet in The Lego Movie so I don't think that's a commonly held belief.

I agree with BadNewsBlues that all the naysayers are adults. Kids are not going to care. Miyamoto/Illumination picked Pratt because he is, objectively, undisputably, well liked and popular among the mainstream audience; especially kids. Kids are going to like seeing Mario voiced by Emmet/Starlord/Jurassic World Character Whos Name I Forget. People acting like this is going to be some mark of shame on his career or haunt him to his grave are crazy. A voical minority of jaded adults aren't really the ones calling the shots here. Just like those who insisted any Batman not being voiced by Kevin Conroy is automatically bad didn't matter to make shows like Brave and the Bold or Christian Bale's movies any less great or successful.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I agree with BadNewsBlues that all the naysayers are adults. Kids are not going to care. Miyamoto/Illumination picked Pratt because he is, objectively, undisputably, well liked and popular among the mainstream audience; especially kids. Kids are going to like seeing Mario voiced by Emmet/Starlord/Jurassic World Character Whos Name I Forget. People acting like this is going to be some mark of shame on his career or haunt him to his grave are crazy. A voical minority of jaded adults aren't really the ones calling the shots here. Just like those who insisted any Batman not being voiced by Kevin Conroy is automatically bad didn't matter to make shows like Brave and the Bold or Christian Bale's movies any less great or successful.
Take a look at George Clooney and Halle Berry. Their performances as Batman and Catwoman were definitely enough to be career killers for them. Now while it ultimately wasn't, it is something that will be on their resume and legacy forever. Welcome to the wonderful world of Hollywood. Plus, like it or not, you're going to have crazies. That's just the receiving edge that pop culture fandom produces, especially towards something as notorious as Super Mario. While you're not going to please everybody, the vocal minority, despite being a minority are still making their voices loud and clear enough so that the entire Internet can hear them and yet, acknowledge them. Now while I'm still willing to reserve judgement on Pratt until I hear more than 2 sentences from him as Mario, the fandom is already keen on writing him off until another trailer drops.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm indifferent with Pratt, but people on both sides have been taking things out of proportion. If he is bad, it won't ruin the movie, but I also highly doubt it will effect his career one way or the other. On the other hand, if he is actually really good, I don't think the general audience will be that surprised, since his voice performance in LEGO Movie was very well liked (which a portion of the internet selectively forgets whenever convenient).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
THE KIDS: "Yay! Chris Pratt is MARIO!!!!!" Very Happy

THE FANDOM: "We're gonna end this man's whole career!" Evil or Very Mad
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I'm indifferent with Pratt, but people on both sides have been taking things out of proportion.

Impossible! People never take exaggerated and polarized stances on things that aren't that important! Especially not on the internet!

It probably wasn't their intention, but all this Pratt controversy is really a dream come true for the advertisers. The entire gaming world is in a frenzy over a movie that will be, in all likelihood, ludicrously campy and not the least bit memorable. Partly thanks to all this free publicity, it's going to make more money than they'll know what to do with.

Quote:
By all accounts, [Scarlet & Violet is] the most fun the series has been in ages and the most absolutely jank it has been in ages.

This is entirely accurate. Hopefully the major issues will improve with patches, though I wouldn't say they're problematic enough to skip even in their current state, unless you cannot remotely tolerate occasional FPS drops. Just remember to save frequently, or leave autosave on--I've seen a couple of crashes.

It's important to remember that the whole franchise launched with a pair of games that were absolutely riddled with bugs (some game-breaking) and jank (having to go through menus and manually select a mon's HM move just to use Cut or Surf, jeesus) and general half-baked-ness... and back then, post-launch patches didn't even exist. Pokemon games are always a bit cursed. It's sorta part of the aesthetic. And maybe this situation will give people enough perspective to not throw fits over low-resolution trees. Maybe.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Real ones know Peter Cullen is the original Mario voice actor anyway Razz I'm fine with no video game voices. Different mediums and versions of the characters can have different actors, just like Optimus Prime doesn't always have to be voiced by Cullen. Garry Chalk and David Kaye did great jobs in Beast Wars and Animated respectively. Lou Albano and Walker Boone did good work for the various 90s Mario cartoons.
Actually I'm happy. A full movie of the characters using their high pitched video game voice clips would be annoying. Not to say I'm thrilled with the casting or direction they went with some characters like Princess Peach. But if they make a sequel and have Wario, I hope it's done similar to James H Sawyer's performance in the Wario Land commercials.. I always liked that take on the character. His Japanese voice actor is also fun.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:27 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

THE FANDOM: "We're gonna end this man's whole career!" Evil or Very Mad

If they want to end his career either write a bad script for a movie he’s starring in or get tapped as director and do a hideous job and hope the movie in question is that bad Razz
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
THE KIDS: "Yay! Chris Pratt is MARIO!!!!!" Very Happy

If anything, kids are probably like "Star Lord is Mario!!!".
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
If anything, kids are probably like "Star Lord is Mario!!!".
If anything, it can be either or.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2