• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Johnny Yong Bosch Returns as Vash for Trigun Stampede Anime's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't surprise me that the cast is going to be mainly new considering Trigun already had a recast in English with Badlands Rumble
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Johnny's coming back for Vash, and I figured Crunchyroll would at least want him back. They ain't gonna bother getting anyone else back, tho. I mean Luci Christian is right there, and she's played the character before, so she's more likely to reprise the role. Luci Christian was fine in Badlands Rumble, but if they DO get Dorothy Fahn back, I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not holding my breath, tho. Wolfwood is even more up in the air. Brad Hawkins is more likely to reprise Wolfwood than Jeff Nimoy, but what's the last anime Brad had a role in that isn't Goblin Slayer? He'll come back for Goblin Slayer, there's no doubt about that. But Wolfwood might be recast entirely.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I was always 100% for a mix of new casting and/or film reprisals for Trigun, but even that aside, people need to be realistic about reprisals for all these reboots. It’s always case by case and bringing someone back isn’t always inherently the best choice for the dub creatively or for CR’s own scheduling and expectations.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:14 am Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Out of all his voice acting roles, his Vash was the best.

I'd go with Lelouch more, but no doubt his Vash was iconic.

Now let's everyone take off the rosetinted glasses and recall that for all its glory, the original Trigun dub was not altogether the best. There were signs of early dubbing errors that can be glaring to today's audiences. That said, at fhe time the actors gave it their all and I respect that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:46 am Reply with quote
It's too bad Dorothy Fahn and Jeff Nimoy aren't coming back but I'm glad at least Johnny Yong Bosch is coming back as he's so iconic in the role of Vash and I can't imagine anyone else playing him. This has been a great time for JYB with him also coming back to voice Ichigo in the new season of Bleach.
Silasa00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy to see Bosch returning to one of his most iconic roles. Too bad Dorothy and Jeff aren't back, because I really liked them. Here's hoping Dorothy can at least come back for Rurouni Kenshin as Kaoru once that airs later this year, she was always my favorite version of that character.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The big question is if Dorothy Fahn and Jeff Nimoy will return as Meryl and Wolfwood. FUNimation really screwed them over for the Badlands Rumble movie, and this would be a good opportunity to right that wrong.

EDIT: Looks like both Jeff and Dorothy confirmed on Twitter that they haven’t been asked back once again. Not looking good. If they’re being replaced again, I wonder if Crunchy will use the same replacements from the movie (Luci Christian and Brad Hawkins). They also replaced Lia Sargent as Milly (with Trina Nishimura), but I don’t think she’s done anime dubbing in 20 years.

I doubt Brad and Luci are coming back either. CR likes to use newer voice talent where possible unlike Funi. So it's possible they may be recast with brand new actors instead of a reprisal like Vash is.

Certainly doesn't help that the rest of the dub cast hasn't been announced yet, and probably won't until the day of release or thereabouts, so I could be right and they get totally new actors (or actor, depending on if they get one of them back) to voice Meryl and Wolfwood, or I could be wrong.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
I doubt Brad and Luci are coming back either. CR likes to use newer voice talent where possible unlike Funi. So it's possible they may be recast with brand new actors instead of a reprisal like Vash is.

Certainly doesn't help that the rest of the dub cast hasn't been announced yet, and probably won't until the day of release or thereabouts, so I could be right and they get totally new actors (or actor, depending on if they get one of them back) to voice Meryl and Wolfwood, or I could be wrong.

Honestly, I won't be heartbroken if Meryl and Wolfwood are both recast. Not that I didn't love the original performances, but they COULD be played well by other actors. Johnny NOT being Vash, however, would've been the much bigger loss and Crunchyroll knew that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yessss!

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's too bad Dorothy Fahn and Jeff Nimoy aren't coming back but I'm glad at least Johnny Yong Bosch is coming back as he's so iconic in the role of Vash and I can't imagine anyone else playing him. This has been a great time for JYB with him also coming back to voice Ichigo in the new season of Bleach.

Yeah, I'm loving it.
Glad I waited to watch the first ep now.

Raebo101 wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:

Honestly, I won't be heartbroken if Meryl and Wolfwood are both recast. Not that I didn't love the original performances, but they COULD be played well by other actors. Johnny NOT being Vash, however, would've been the much bigger loss and Crunchyroll knew that.

Yeah, just like with the movie they knew that JYB as Vash was critical.

Would have loved the rest of the originals back this time, but we've endured it once and Meryl's character seems very different judging by the trailers so I suppose I wouldn't even be shocked if we see a third VA in the role, not that either of her previous VAs couldn't adjust their voices of course, since that's what they do.

Guess we probably won't know if Luci or Brad are back until it airs or just before, because if none of the other originals were back then it doubly makes sense the pre-release focus would be squarely on JYB back as Vash, just like back then for the movie.

Meryl and Wolfwood's small appearances in the movie probably weren't big enough for their new VAs to leave their mark on either of the characters with fans yet, so I could see them going either way on whether or not to recast one more time now or not before the characters cement themselves again. Since I imagine Meryl and Wolfwood will be major ally supporting characters with plenty of screentime again in this new series like in the original series, if the show runs long enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2